Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

and, if Hamilton has shown us anything...connectivity to GO trains is not necessarily that important for a successful LRT.
You're living under a rock. Where have you been??

The Hamilton LRT budget is paying for this enhanced 3-minute walk between GO and LRT including closing off part of Hughson to cars:

IMG_2802.JPG

upload_2017-4-27_12-55-30.png

Also, word is that full connectivity solutions are also being discussed.

Clearly, obviously, extending to Eastgate is a bigger win than providing an LRT stub for nearby GO stations.

Also, this pedestrianized LRT+GO connection is above-and-beyond the standard Ontario-allowed 1.5% permitted for urban enhancements. Which means $15M of $1B can still be spent elsewhere on more urban enhancements along the LRT line such as enhanced gantries/catenary in the BIA sections (e.g. nicer gantries to reduce visual pollution) or additional pedestrian crossings, upgraded stations, etc. Metrolinx considers the funding of this LRT+GO connection as part of the primary transit funding being part of the transit infrastructure (connecting LRT+GO) and it is much cheaper than building an LRT for a 3-minute walk (Hamilton Downtown).

This enhanced pedestrian route wasn't finalized at the $1B announcement and it was originally a longer pedestrian route.

Fortunately, they chose the shortest possible walk (300 meters in the form of a walk across Gore Park + 3 short cross-blocks directly to the entrance of the GO station) -- the length of one GO train -- The length of a 12-coach GO train (+loco) would touch Gore Park (LRT) and the GO train station entrance!

There's also an existing bus route that connects the two, if you cannot easily walk 300 meters. No doubt, that bus will be enhanced as a shuttle bus.

TOAreaFan, patience my padawan -- 2018/2022 elections will also provide motorized options between GO and LRT.

Attachments

• IMG_2802.JPG
    IMG_2802.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • upload_2017-4-27_12-55-30.png
    upload_2017-4-27_12-55-30.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Honestly...

With the existing $1B budget, we had a choice between:
- Tiny A-Line LRT stub; OR
- Cheaped-out $120M A-Line "BRT Lite" not even as good as Brampton Zum (except in denser Mountain section).

A proper, good, blocked-off-dedicated-lane A-Line BRT would have been north of $500M. Minimum. The true Ottawa Transitway-quality BRT stuff. Or the true red-pavement BRT stuff with curbs separating car lanes and bus lanes. From what I know, we weren't going to be getting that, it was BRT in name only slapped on a worse-than-Brampton-Zum "express" bus, barely an enhancement to the existing HSR A-Line bus.

So I'm glad the Eastgate extension is resurrected. It will make B-Line ridership that much better.

And they're (already, behind the scenes) working on an enhanced A-Line plan.

I'd rather them wait a few years longer, to announce funding for a larger A-Line LRT project (either full-length or Limeridge Mall). The beautiful fully funded 3-minute pedestrianized walk (and a shuttle bus) can satisfy us in the interim while we wait for an even better A-Line LRT, in an Ottawa-style Phase 2 delight.

Clearly, good shuttle GO buses will be needed for West Harbour GO station, but they weren't going to BRT-ize James Street North anyway (as part of the A-Line BRT) -- it would have still been no faster than just incorporating shuttle buses running a loop between West Harbour GO, Gore Park LRT, MacNab Terminal, and Hunter GO.

We need something superior for A-Line -- $120M wouldn't have paid for a good A-Line BRT, given a really good blocked-off-dedicated-lane BRT for a whole line often costs well north of $500M for the length of A-Line. So, cue in 2018/2022/2026 election promises for an A-Line LRT.

Even the 2018 Conservative government (assuming B-Line LRT goes ahead) -- once the B-Line hits Eastgate, it is going to be extremely difficult not to announce an A-Line LRT every single election from now on (2018, 2022, 2026, 2030) regardless of what color the government is currently running. A full B-Line to Eastgate just accelerates an eventual A-Line LRT instead of a BRT.

We can make do with upgraded #10 A-Line Express for now, upgrade the bus stations, add transit priority, small bus lane segments, and by all practical purposes, manage to achieve "A-Line BRT-Lite" by 2024, without the Hamilton LRT pot. It might not be as fancy infrastructure, but equally as fast and frequent buses.

There's too much farmland on A-Line south of the Linc anyway, so the only way to make A-Line LRT work quicker is to get it to Mohawk/StJoe/Limeridge first (e.g. A+T Hybrid). Currently, at this time, nearly half of the A-Line route to airport isn't even dense enough to warrant Brampton Zum style buses, even -- they even currently stop running the #10 A-Line Express midday. There is NO sidewalks on James for about a quarter to a third of the A-Line! (Conversely, there's sidewalks for the WHOLE B-Line stretch from Mac to Eastgate).

So, we need to carefully rethink our plans for A-Line, and come up with a better A-Line plan, especially as density is expected to skyrocket along the corridor in the next 20 years. Airport Business area will likely play a role once it truly starts up. But today, do we really want to make a definite A-Line BRT-vs-LRT decision today? I think we need to do A-Line properly and B-Line properly. B-line reaching Eastgate Mall easily doubles the ridership of Hamilton LRT. That was a wiser move than the several woefully incomplete A-Line plans.

Sure, the Conservatives win 2018, does a couple terms, and then the A-Line LRT funding gets delayed to 2026, but built by 2031(ish) even under Conservatives who are even increasingly more pro LRT than 20 years ago (Just look at Calgary). Without a BRT to slow down the A-Line LRT plan, Mountain will benefit from accelerated B-Line LRT plans and ridership growth from that. As long as B-Line LRT is cemented to Eastgate, the A-Line LRT (at least to major Mountain destinations) is an inevitability. The first LRT begets incremental extensions, even in conservative enclaves.

Last edited:
Further the Eastgate issue and whether it was part of the plan:

"Hamilton LRT: A light rail transit line from McMaster University to Eastgate Mall

The Hamilton LRT project is part of a long-term vision to connect key origins and destinations across Hamilton. The project will help revitalize Hamilton’s downtown core and improve public transit options in the city. The 14-kilometre LRT line will extend from McMaster University in the west to Eastgate Square in the east. The corridor will run along Main Street and King Street, on a 10 The Big Move Baseline Monitoring Report Appendix C: Building Rapid Transit combination of shared and exclusive at-grade track. Today, bus service operates in mixed traffic along the route. The project is currently in the planning phase, with an EA approved in December 2011.

Significant planning, design, and engineering work, made possible through Metrolinx Quick Wins funding, was undertaken collaboratively by the City of Hamilton and Metrolinx and resulted in the “Rapid Ready” report completed in February 2013. The current cost estimate is approximately $1 billion for construction and implementation, and will be updated as engineering work continues." (page 9, here)

9uyNdXa.png

one of the things that i kept hearing in Brampton was about how all of this is part of a regional plan....and even if that route (feel the need to state I was never opposed to the route in Brampton) was not the best for Brampton it was important that we build connectivity and connecting to the GO train was a huge part of that regional connectivity (ignoring of course that no one in Brampton has ever proposed a route that does not end at the GO Train)....yet in Hamilton did they not just approve a LRT that manages to avoid connecting with either of the GO Trains in the city (sorry if I am wrong on this but it appears to me it misses both)....it looks like this is just a local transit route.

We are also inconsistent in addressing local needs....Hamilton's LRT seems to be $1B spent addressing the municipalities busiest corridor.......one of the causes of the kerfuffle in Brampton was that Main is nowhere near the busiest corridor or most pressing need in town.....so the ~$400MM to be spent in Brampton was going to solve a secondary need and just ask for trust/faith that eventually that primary need would be addressed. (I know why this is....but it contributed greatly to the debate).

We are also inconsistent in the degree that we allow municipal changes/amendments to these preferred plans/routes the province advocates.

I really don't want to sideswipe Hamilton's great moment here...but I had to react to someone else bringing Brampton into it....the two situations are dramatically different. (I am assuming the business case and ridership projections are not as full of holes as the one I read for Brampton and that LRT is justified).

Very well said. Each area has unique circumstances and benefits. Anyhow I'm very happy to see this go ahead in Hamilton.

Another question I have stemming from the LRT approval in Hamilton: what are the additional stops along the way between Queenston and Eastgate? Have those been finalized?

No stops. It will be an "express" line. To save money the opposition will fight for a bus transfer one stop before Eastgate Square. ;)

In all seriousness its a great move to revive this portion of the line. I'm sure they will connect a BRT to the new GO station on Centennial down the road as well.

No stops. It will be an "express" line. To save money the opposition will fight for a bus transfer one stop before Eastgate Square. ;)

In all seriousness its a great move to revive this portion of the line. I'm sure they will connect a BRT to the new GO station on Centennial down the road as well.
No stops? That is not what the maps show.....and, honestly, that is crazy to build an LRT for that length and have no stops....you will need to keep running the same buses as before and have dual operating costs.

No stops? That is not what the maps show.....and, honestly, that is crazy to build an LRT for that length and have no stops....you will need to keep running the same buses as before and have dual operating costs.

Sorry it was a reference to the stupidity of Toronto's planning and the current fight between a transfer placement before SCC or the "express" subway and I should have mentioned it was sarcasm.

But I agree it would be crazy and Hamilton would never consider something like that

The lack of a Bay Street station on the B-Line LRT is confusing. One would think they'd include it for easier access to Hamilton City Hall and Copps Coliseum.
That vote annoyingly failed, but Hamilton Chamber is still working on getting it added later. Possibly a future Bay infill.
What is the purpose of the Frid Street Extension? Is it some kind of turn back for the LRVs?
Not for LRVs, but for drivers to more easily access the maintenance facility. It can also act as an alternate route or detour from west-of-403 to east-of-403, bypassing the Main/King bridge (taking thr Longwood bridge instead to get into City of Hamilton). Which is useful during construction, too.

And Frid St is a potential business improvement area, for business densification (e.g. Office towers invading a business park, once Dundurn LRT station built).

Back