Markham GTA Centre | ?m | ?s | GTA S. and E. | BBB

AzyPcxbCUAApaVs.jpg:large

image.jpeg

Though the GTA Centre has long been rumoured as the possible site of an NHL team, Scarpitti said the City of Markham is not involved in any discussions pertaining to that. He said even without a major tenant the GTA Centre will host more than 100 events a year and could be used to host the 2015 World Junior Hockey Championships and possibly even a future Olympic Games.
"If there is a bid for 2024 this would be one more facility that provides the capacity to hold the Games here in the GTA," he said.

http://www.cp24.com/news/plans-unveiled-for-nhl-calibre-arena-in-markham-1.907481#ixzz22yfNgXHp

I hate the name of this place. Look okay though.

What's so bad about the name? It might not be the sexiest name, but as a venue that will host acts drawing an audience from across the entire region, "GTA Centre" is quite appropriate. Once the arena is nearing completion, however, 'naming rights' are sure to be awarded for a fair chunk of change (IBM Gardens?). Hopefully for one of the largest venues in the GTA it will have a nice ring to it, on par with gems that reflect our region like Powerade Centre or Hershey Centre. Real beauties there.

BBB should give up this charade already - they might be able to plan an arena, but they certainly can't design one. They are not qualified to design stadiums and arenas, and this rendering is proof. They had their time in the 1990's, and sadly into the early 2000's, (without looking too hard, you can see that is where their designs have stayed) but now they are irrelevant and should give up the ghost.

p5

BBB should give up this charade already - they might be able to plan an arena, but they certainly can't design one. They are not qualified to design stadiums and arenas, and this rendering is proof. They had their time in the 1990's, and sadly into the early 2000's, (without looking too hard, you can see that is where their designs have stayed) but now they are irrelevant and should give up the ghost.

p5

What's wrong with this render?

What's wrong with this render?

Nothing but nonsense from individuals that always think we're getting shafted and that there is better out there

Builders of Markham arena look familiar
“If they can’t figure out how to build an arena in Toronto, who can?”

The powers behind the $325-million new arena planned for Markham, Ont., plan to use the same architect and construction company that built the rival Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Graeme Roustan, the chief executive officer of Bauer Performance Sports Ltd., who is head of a private group behind the arena and entertainment complex, with backing from prominent local developer Rudy Bratty, confirmed Wednesday the 20,000-seat arena will be designed by BBB Architects, a Canadian company with offices in Toronto, Ottawa and New York, and built by PCL Constructors Canada. Both companies worked on the Air Canada Centre, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, which opened in February, 1999.

BBB Architects and one of its principals, Murray Beynon, also designed several other prominent arena projects, including the nearly $1-billion (U.S.) makeover of Madison Square Garden in New York.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/builders-of-markham-arena-look-familiar/article4470599/

Last edited:
I don't think we are getting shafted and THERE is much better out there!! Citing information about BBB building other arenas, in this case MSG in NYC does nothing for me. It is not about the where, but the how and what that concerns me.

Furthermore AG, how is it nonsense to be critical of something? You best of all should know that such a statement is a moot point, considering your usually vitriolic attitude/comments towards many if not all things anti-ford or anti-suburban.

Generally, I think that this is just a poor design and shows little to nothing in the way of architectural or design innovation. I don't expect CoopHimmelblau to design the arena, but BBB is the Kirkor or Petroff of arenas and we will undoubtedly end up with something we all loathe years from now.

p5

This seems to be new - I didn't see this post:

Markham receives GTA Centre plan

Facility could house NHL team

The creation of GTA Centre in Markham took another step forward today with the submission of the site plan application by GTA Sports and Entertainment.
A key step in the development process, the site plan application will allow the Markham to examine the facility's design, sustainability and technical aspects of the proposal.
Once site plan application approval is obtained, a building permit will be issued and construction can begin on the $325-million venue.
“We’re excited to submit the site plan application (Wednesday) because it means we’re one step closer to getting final approval and putting shovels in the ground,†GTA Sports and Entertainment chairperson and chief executive officer Graeme Roustan said. “As part of the dynamic Markham Centre development, this facility would lend even more vibrancy to the downtown core and enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Markham, York Region and the entire GTA.â€
Mr. Roustan and his team of consultants met with city representatives for a pre-consultation session July 30 to showcase details of the site plan application and receive feedback from councillors and Markham residents prior to today's official submission.
More public meetings are planned to ensure residents have ample opportunity to provide input on the building's design and community access.
Literally thousands of people in Markham and the rest of the GTA are excited and supportive of the project, Mr. Roustan said.
“Markham is a thriving city that needs, and can support, the largest premier venue for community events, concerts and major sporting events in Ontario.â€
Markham council approved the proposal and financial framework for the sports, entertainment and cultural centre April 26.
The company hopes to start construction this fall, with plans to open the facility in late 2014.
The GTA Centre is expected to create hundreds of jobs while under construction and almost 1,000 permanent full and part-time positions when up and running.

source: http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1458831--markham-receives-gta-centre-plan

I doubt it will last. Sounds like a placeholder name to me until they get someone on board for naming rights.

They did the same thing with the Palladium in Ottawa (was called that for about a month after opening, then renamed the Corel Centre, then in 2006 renamed Scotiabank Place).

Back