Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Thank you Vic for that excellent Jane's Walk.

Just north of Erwin Krickhahn Park, Paton Rd currently dead-ends at the rail corridor on both sides. At this location, the underside of the proposed train bridge would be roughly at the top of this fence. There is an opportunity here to reconnect Paton Rd with a pedestrian underpass, however the bridge won't be high enough to allow cars through here.

17173643240_b864763d36_b.jpg

Moving further north, there is this laneway directly adjacent to the tracks. The bridge would rise well above this fence and will be seen from the adjacent homes. Since the tracks would be elevated, it might be possible to remove this fence but no one knows for sure at this point.

17359298212_e7388526ed_b.jpg

At Wallace Ave is a grade intersection which will be eliminated with the proposed elevated bridge. However the bridge will affect the view of the tower, which is a significant neighbourhood landmark.

17360855221_f5e47ec68f_b.jpg

This is at Wallace looking south. Because of the curve that begins north of the CP corridor, the bridge would be build right up to the property line on the right, away from the existing track. This alignment allow for a straighter bridge which reduces the risk of derailment. The rail corridor is wide enough for 4 tracks, but since only two tracks will be needed there might be room for a trail similar to the West Toronto Railpath.

16738703934_f2e3dd5729_b.jpg

At Wallace Ave looking north:

17173417278_0f1c4f50e1_b.jpg

At this dead-end of Sarnia Ave, the group pondered the impact the bridge would have on adjacent homes.

17359296242_2053d2451b_b.jpg

At Cambell Park, the bridge would be right next to the tree tops, and as close to the trees as the fence. Some pruning may be required for safely reasons or even removal at worst case, plus the bridge pillars might also interfere with the roots. An arborist will have to determine how the trees will be affected, but after the clearcutting that happened in the UPX corridor the locals here are wary of Metrolinx's intensions.

17175001019_31c8173e26_b.jpg

On the north side of the park is Antler street which currently dead-ends at the tracks.

17360852601_c434d310c0_b.jpg

Seen through the fence is Lappin Ave on the other side of the tracks. Lappin could reconnect with Antler if the tracks are elevated. However the city allowed an adjacent business to use the end of Lappin Ave as a private parking lot for its customers. The decision was made well before the Diamond grade separation plan had started, but this will complicate efforts to reconnect the streets and is potentially a lost opportunity. Even if they can be reconnected, there is difference in opinion as to whether it should only allow pedestrians, or whether cars should be allowed too (and thus cause increased traffic in the neighbourhood).

17361212155_042087a54e_b.jpg

At Dupont St the proposed rail bridge would be significantly taller than the low-rise surroundings. Some people want the Dupont underpass to be filled in, but that would cost millions of dollars and is something for the city not Metrolinx to decide.

17174998349_d70e95279f_b.jpg

The bridge would be similar to the UPX spur to Pearson: reinforced concrete supported by a single row of columns. Local opinion on the bridge proposal is mixed to say the least. It would rise several metres above the existing tracks, towering above peoples homes and highly visible in a lot of places. It's likely that noise walls will be required too, which adds even more to the height and visual impact. A community relations guy from Metrolinx attended the walk, and faced a barrage of questions/criticism about the proposal. His job would have been easier if there was more info about possible community benefits (electrification, new GO stations, public realm, aesthetics of the bridge), but it's too early at this stage to know about any of that. I see potential for a big fight between locals and Metrolinx like we saw at Weston.

In my opinion, I thing the bridge is the way to go (full disclosure: I don't live here). A lot of locals will prefer a tunnel, but it would cost at least $500 M more and entail massive traffic disruption so it's unlikely to happen. If something like this was proposed next to my house, honestly I would just suck it up and accept the fact that regional and city wide transportation improvement matters far more than some local grievances.

Last edited:
Good stuff, good pictures, and a lot of interesting discussion points which I think will be extremely relevant with SmartTrack/RER east of the Don River. All of the sections through south Riverdale, Upper Beaches, and Scarborough will IMO result in vociferous and wild opposition. Loss of trees, noise abatement walls, widenings, bridges...I think it will be brutal and much worse than what's going on here and happened in Weston.

Thank you Vic for that excellent Jane's Walk.

Just north of Erwin Krickhahn Park, Paton Rd currently dead-ends at the rail corridor on both sides. At this location, the underside of the proposed train bridge would be roughly at the top of this fence. There is an opportunity here to reconnect Paton Rd with a pedestrian underpass, however the bridge won't be high enough to allow cars through here.

17173643240_b864763d36_b.jpg

Didn't Paton Rd. have a pedestrian underpass here at one time? I remember biking around here in the 80s and seeing people coming out of the stairwell at the west end of Paton by Wade Ave. Was it closed and filled in?

Didn't Paton Rd. have a pedestrian underpass here at one time? I remember biking around here in the 80s and seeing people coming out of the stairwell at the west end of Paton by Wade Ave. Was it closed and filled in?

Yup. We spoke about this during the Jane's Walk too. The underpass was opened in the mid-late 80's, I believe, and closed in 1994. There's some good footage of it in a 1996(?) documentary called "Tales From The Triangle".

The entrance boxes are still there. You can see them easily on Google Streetview on both sides of the tracks. It's just out of frame to the left in Salsa's photo.

I would love to have a chance to walk through it....with hazmat suit on :)

-Vic

Last edited:
I know it's all academic at this point, but years ago did anyone consider paying CP to have their line dive under both the Weston and Newmarket Subs instead of these current issues?

I know it's all academic at this point, but years ago did anyone consider paying CP to have their line dive under both the Weston and Newmarket Subs instead of these current issues?

I suspect that they looked at it briefly as part of the early process of the West Toronto Junction EA, but I honestly couldn't see CP being happy with that option. It would have made it much more awkward for them to access West Toronto Yard from the east.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Any kind of grade is disadvantageous for a freight company, they wouldn't accept something that would downgrade their mainline.

I suspect that they looked at it briefly as part of the early process of the West Toronto Junction EA, but I honestly couldn't see CP being happy with that option. It would have made it much more awkward for them to access West Toronto Yard from the east.

Indeed, the Mactier mainline, the connecting track, the West Toronto Yard lead a portion of the Galt sub would be all be effected. And on top of that multiple grade separations would need to be rebuilt. Aside from CP not agreeing to it, I'd image it would end up costing significantly more anyways.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
No kidding. Not only that, there is the connection to Mactier Sub.

Then there would be the closing of a few streets since there would be no way to build an overpass of the slopping grade tunnel for them and that will piss off the car people.

The grade would be more than 2% and the noise from the engines increasing their power would be greater than exist today or crossing the old diamond.

At the end of the day, the need of the many will out weight the needs of the few who live next to this plan elevated line and the best option.

Just think of the cities in the US who have elevated subway with service higher than this line will every have.

Back