Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

As recently pointed out - and as the new rendering shows - the upper level of the east side is angled, as it was in the earlier, less detailed schematic.

from today.

4643178598_273816bd5d.jpg

4643178422_df244ec3e6.jpg

4642565353_7591e6ce84.jpg

The foundation for the crane was poured on Thursday and the excavation seems to be complete. I assume they will shortly erect the crane and start the garage floors - though I do not think the above-ground portion of GBC has got its final approvals yet.

Here's the bigger better hole:

GeorgeBrownHoleHpano.jpg

GeorgeBrownHoleVpano.jpg

I like how KPMB have adopted some of the language - the generous overhang and angled volumes - of the D+S building next door. That cross-braced upper section is a bit Pier 27-ish, too.

Before I start snarking, let me say that I am happy about this building - I really am. I'm happy because it's a) diversifying the social landscape of the neighbourhood (not really a quality of its built form, I realize), and b) obviously more detailed and engaging than its neighbour (which isn't saying much). Hopefully they don't fill up the entire stretch of waterfront with mere incremental improvements over existing buildings, though - I'd like some truly ace designs to start competing with each other down here. Let's hope the aesthetic context of this neighbourhood embraces contrast a bit more, rather than sameness and banality. I'm not holding my breath.

Still, even if that doesn't happen from a design perspective, I think careful urban planning can and will turn this into a decent new district.

Hats off to George Brown for having such an impressively horrible logo, too.

Last edited:
The more complex exterior form of KPMB's George Brown's campus, compared to the simplicity of Diamond and Dow's Corus office building, is explained by the wider range of functions it contains; the nearbye Redpath factory complex is similarly visually differentiated as a result of the various functions performed in the various buildings. Generally, if you look around town, the single-use office towers, or the single-use apartment towers, aren't particularly complex visual statements.

True, the technical complexity has a certain generic esthetical quality (engines, streetcar cables, clocks, bridges, infrastructure), but there is no urban or social content.

The Red path’s architectural expression generated by its industrial functions is unintentional, utilitarian, not really concept generators, I would guess.

Also, the architectural form is generally defined by an intentional process more than existing randomness within walking/driving distance.

Back