Toronto Frank Stollery Parkette | ?m | ?s

Have you naysayers actually visited the park? I think it's quite nice in person. It's not going to look perfect immediately.

There are three small brick spots where it looks like they will add lights or perhaps that water feature I seem to recall from the design. It's not quite done yet.

It certainly doesn't live up to most of the other pocket parks built in the city but, it's still a decent addition.

There is supposed to be a water feature, which I recall reading is on the way. We will see.

A water feature would look really nice -- possibly with lotus flowers growing in it?
Some decent lighting would also make the parkette come to life at night -- the two electrical boxes on right planter suggests that the trees on that side will be lit.

I agree that the planter edges should be taller so that it doubles as a place to sit (thus eliminating the benches). They currently look like street curbs.

It's like the poor man's version of the aA/Janet Rosenberg ensemble to the south...

I agree with Parkdalian that those fences must be trellises meant to have the ground cover eventually grow up and over them. You'll see them in the lower left corner of the magnificent technicolor panorama below. Note also in the foreground one of the three little plinths in the park. They all contain two up-lights. One here is smashed, the other is full of condensation.

FStollerypano.jpg

Closer to Lotus, the view from a bench.

FStolleryP1170233.jpg

The northwest corner of the parkette. Up top there was where the water feature was in the renderings. Although I do not know what exactly will be filling the slots of any of the three plinths, I doubt it will be a replacement for the water feature. Such small features could not replace the sound that the falling water would have provided in the original design. Ah well... how long do we wait to find out what will be placed in the plinths?

FStolleryP1170239.jpg

Are those lights or drains? What about those windows with water pouring out the top and over the sides?

They look like trellises. They might not have put any plants in the planters due to the late season - the planters on Bloor didn't get any until this year even though they were completed last fall.

Most of the plants in the busy-looking Bloor streetscaping project are annuals that wouldn't have survived the winter. I'd be surprised if the beds in this little parkette get that level of attention, and maybe it's not a bad thing because you can achieve good results with simple and well-maintained perennial ground cover.

Back