Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

you two are quite the pair, i must admit, and even if i have been coming to this site and opposing your view with some regularity, this idea of two self-consciously cultured and urbanely witty boosters, really, is at its core a very fun one.

you know what? not really. it is a type that is present in large numbers when a city is in the process of becoming great. the overreaches inherent to the character should be viewed in this context, and with some fondness.

Well, the alternative, "Sitting around saying 'aw shucks' and pulling at our forelock whenever the New York Times remembers there is something north of Buffalo not an igloo," has gotten a bit dull.

there is nothing more characteristic of youth, whether civilizational or individual, than pursuing the exact opposite of one's recent past with stunning ardor and a near-total lack of perspective.

Please excuse my aggressive tone, but I have tired of the idea that the 19th century was some storehouse of lost craftsmanship or treasure trove of splendor. It was a time of rapid slum growth, driven by factory work and punctuated with some of the ugliest buildings ever erected on this planet. The only decent bits were those that led directly away from the 19th century's two-faced embrace of the satanic mills on one hand and sham Gothic/Baroque fake upper-class romanticism on the other--to whit, the development of industrial materials and the new approach to architecture exemplified by Sullivan and a handful like him.

I can see the factories as a necessary evil, yes--without them we wouldn't have established a general middle-class way of life for millions of people (although millions more are still left behind globally). But I am not going to fake cultural orgasm over heaps of sequined rubble that deck chandeliers an salons with glittering gems and confine servants to quarters and staircases unfit for shipyard rats.

And I have tired of the idea that you are anything more than a Burckhardtian blow-hard, obsequious to the three-fingered Shocker and servile to his notion of Diamondesque dominance. The real bore here is not so much America's ignorance of Toronto's strong urbanity and diverse population, something they've been at for years, but your taking the bait and presenting a vociferous yet equally ignorant rebranding of Toronto as 'T.O. The Conqueror.'

Snore...

... though Diamond+Schmitt have conquered with their modest and legible architecture - their Toronto Style opera house being an example of a highly sought-after solution to building performing arts buildings, both in Canada and abroad. Denying our superiority and constantly spamming threads about local architects with images of buildings that have nothing to do with them but are designed by foreign firms, as you do, is the real bore. In fact, you're the real bore, PeeEnd.

... though Diamond+Schmitt have conquered with their modest and legible architecture - their Toronto Style opera house being an example of a highly sought-after solution to building performing arts buildings, both in Canada and abroad. Denying our superiority and constantly spamming threads about local architects with images of buildings that have nothing to do with them but are designed by foreign firms, as you do, is the real bore. In fact, you're the real bore, PeeEnd.

Forgive me Urban, I once called you the Fox News of UT, but it's clear your just the Liz Cheney to Diamond's Dick.

I can't believe you people managed to rack up two pages of conversation in 18 hours. I don't know why I can't believe it, but I don't.

:p

Back