Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

July 11: Lots of concrete going down....

20240711_140439.jpg

20240711_140456.jpg

20240711_140447.jpg

20240711_140533.jpg

Attachments

• 20240711_140528.jpg
    20240711_140528.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240711_140534.jpg
    20240711_140534.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 13
Okay question for everyone how many companies have actually done all their work without permits I'm now curious as we have two instances mentioned here and I think I remember at least a third time that Pinnacle did it kind of makes the city look toothless

As we find ourself on the cusp of getting to grade (getting above grade being the red-tape question at hand) it's time for a new diagram. Since some of you seem to like them, some so much you've decided to start copying them 😉, I figured I'd give a quick behind the scenes peek...

I start each diagram struggling through Toronto's development docs website trying to find the latest architectural plans. Specifically one cladded and when I'm lucky with exposed floors to match. I also bring in cladding references, mainly for alignment as they inevitably get tweaked to match what we end up actually seeing and architectural plans are famously over-saturated when it comes to blue glass.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 09.46.24.png

Once a building gets going, it's really thanks to all your lovely photos. I wait till I start to see a trend in photograph angles so I can make sure I'm updating based on a pretty consistent stream of updates. Basically, without all your photos this wouldn't happen, so thank you! I use those to make the tiny (or big) updates we see. I have one working "growing" diagram and save progress in the timelines you see.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 09.47.12.png

I take a lot of pride in these diagrams, and often sweat the details. I work in the world of design outside of this niche construction forum and so there's often a level of detail that doesn't show up with the compression on an upload. But I find what that helps is to make for a slightly more realistic diagram. At it's closest detail, it's really just boxes on boxes.

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 09.57.33.png
Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 09.48.10.png

Hope to keep the diagrams coming, and thanks for the patience between each update! Look forward to this one, here's to the next many years of diagrams and updates!

- Contra

As we find ourself on the cusp of getting to grade (getting above grade being the red-tape question at hand) it's time for a new diagram. Since some of you seem to like them, some so much you've decided to start copying them 😉, I figured I'd give a quick behind the scenes peek...

I start each diagram struggling through Toronto's development docs website trying to find the latest architectural plans. Specifically one cladded and when I'm lucky with exposed floors to match. I also bring in cladding references, mainly for alignment as they inevitably get tweaked to match what we end up actually seeing and architectural plans are famously over-saturated when it comes to blue glass.

View attachment 581653

Once a building gets going, it's really thanks to all your lovely photos. I wait till I start to see a trend in photograph angles so I can make sure I'm updating based on a pretty consistent stream of updates. Basically, without all your photos this wouldn't happen, so thank you! I use those to make the tiny (or big) updates we see. I have one working "growing" diagram and save progress in the timelines you see.

View attachment 581654

I take a lot of pride in these diagrams, and often sweat the details. I work in the world of design outside of this niche construction forum and so there's often a level of detail that doesn't show up with the compression on an upload. But I find what that helps is to make for a slightly more realistic diagram. At it's closest detail, it's really just boxes on boxes.

View attachment 581655View attachment 581656

Hope to keep the diagrams coming, and thanks for the patience between each update! Look forward to this one, here's to the next many years of diagrams and updates!

- Contra

I loved reading about your process! Thanks for sharing and all your hard work. It's super appreciated by many.

Last edited:

Back