Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

@ProjectEnd would be better able to answer I would think.

Certainly, at first blush, they are pushing what their current permit allows, but because that re-bar is in essence, embedded in the ceiling of the final below grade level............I'm not sure that they are boldly over the line.......yet.
End of the day it all really depends on your relationship with Toronto Buildings and, more specifically, your inspector. Some are more willing to 'interpret' things on site than others, especially if you're able to prove you have a plan and a schedule that will keep you on the correct side of the law (creative though that plan may be). Some inspectors are willing to work with you, others very much not. Totally depends on who you get and what your reputation as a builder is.

End of the day it all really depends on your relationship with Toronto Buildings and, more specifically, your inspector. Some are more willing to 'interpret' things on site than others, especially if you're able to prove you have a plan and a schedule that will keep you on the correct side of the law (creative though that plan may be). Some inspectors are willing to work with you, others very much not. Totally depends on who you get and what your reputation as a builder is.
If I interpret this correctly, then this project should have a good chance of receiving its permit.

A view of the rebar structure today, as viewed from the west side of Duncan Street:
20240903_150704 copy.jpg

...approved since 2014, I don't think anyone wants any further delays on this..especially ones caused by slow paper work. >.<

September 3 Updates.

1. Shrouding has been installed around the site, including behind the turnstile gate, much eliminating views of the ground level activities on the site (two photos below)
2. Forma construction activities will be restricted over the next couple of weeks to limit impacts on the upcoming TIFF activities. While not shutdown altogether, the site will not be operating as normal. Mid day today, the tower crane was not operating - control cab was empty.
3. A site has been set up on Pearl Street, just south of the Toronto House building, for staging Forma construction supplies and building the rebar cages - photos below.

20240903_145801.jpg

20240903_145645.jpg

20240903_142348.jpg

20240903_142200.jpg

20240903_142336.jpg

This thing won't be topped out until 2028 at the rate it's going. Im so curious to see how it turns out, the cladding they use, and if they will proceed with the 2nd tower. Hopefully with rates dropping into 2025 it will create a better environment for buyers.

This thing won't be topped out until 2028 at the rate it's going. Im so curious to see how it turns out, the cladding they use, and if they will proceed with the 2nd tower. Hopefully with rates dropping into 2025 it will create a better environment for buyers.

The second tower will be delayed for sure, no one is buying at $1800-$2000 sqf. There is no ROI anymore

I personally doubt his mortality will effect sales.
But his lack of mortality might which was St James point. 🤔 (I.e. lots of press upon his death of how great of an architect he was will surely create a lot of attention and the fact that he will not be designing any new projects will provide a bump in sales on his projects I reckon.)

But his lack of mortality might which was St James point. 🤔 (I.e. lots of press upon his death of how great of an architect he was will surely create a lot of attention and the fact that he will not be designing any new projects will provide a bump in sales on his projects I reckon.)

I mean I could be wrong, I just don't see people buying units like they're pieces of art. People buy as an investment or to live and make it their home. If people don't have the money to buy because of the first two factors, I doubt there will be this rush of rich billionaires buying these up like they're some type of collectables, especially in Toronto as opposed to NY or some other world class city.

Last edited:
I mean I could be wrong, I just don't see people buying units like they're pieces of art. People buy as an investment or to live and make it their home. If people don't have the money to buy because of the first two factors, I doubt there will be this rush of a bunch of rich billionaires buy these up like they're some type of collectables, especially in Toronto as opposed to NY or some other world class city.
All quite well possible yes but it will not hurt having a fair amount of press when that day comes if it happens while sales is in full swing.

Back