Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

What baffles me is how nobody is really batting an eye at Restaurant Row being under siege despite it bringing far more vibrancy and character to the area than this block. And there, all we're supposedly getting in return is three architectural clunkers.

I'd say most people on this board favour preserving Restaurant Row, especially considering the proposals, which, as you say, are nothing special. Then again, if Keesmaat has her way, we'll get lots of this instead of both Mirvish and the RR bland-o-rama.

I'd say most people on this board favour preserving Restaurant Row, especially considering the proposals, which, as you say, are nothing special. Then again, if Keesmaat has her way, we'll get lots of this instead of both Mirvish and the RR bland-o-rama.

I don't know how anyone can say these buildings are nothing special? are you guys blind? have you seen the modern building build in the last 10 years? this is as good as it gets. compare these buildings to the new freedom tower in nyc or the tallest tower in the world and not say these buildings that are propose can't compare to the best towers in the world when it comes to design. these towers are the exact opposite from what was built in toronto for the last 40 years. maybe google was right canada is too boring and because of this they only see beauty in boring designs.

I don't know how anyone can say these buildings are nothing special? are you guys blind? have you seen the modern building build in the last 10 years? this is as good as it gets. compare these buildings to the new freedom tower in nyc or the tallest tower in the world and not say these buildings that are propose can't compare to the best towers in the world when it comes to design. these towers are the exact opposite from what was built in toronto for the last 40 years. maybe google was right canada is too boring and because of this they only see beauty in boring designs.

He's talking about the proposal for Restaurant Row, not M+G.

I'm going to laugh and cry when Mirvish inevitably sells the land and we get stuck with three 30 story POS boxes from some other developer that preserve the exterior walls of these warehouses.

it's about the precedent-setting heights for the area and the heritage impact the development would have.

Is that really what it's all about...those two things??

The height is a non-starter from the get go. So what if it sets a [new] precedent for height for the immediate area? Who's going to be bothered about the height? Do you honestly think you are going to have a negative experience with these buildings at 80 floors, but a perfectly fine one at 50 or 60 floors? From the street, you wouldn't perceive any difference anyway. They will make an impression from a "skyline" perspective, but it will undoubtably be a positive one.

If we are to reject this project on the basis of the heritage importance of what is there, then there must be one hell of a heritage experience going on down there. So go on down there and tell me what an awesome heritage experience they are creating. If the heritage impact is so great as you say, then it should be obvious looking at them. It's actually quite an underwhelming experience if you ask me. There is one great heritage building on that site, but it also happens to be the one they are keeping as is.

So really, all this opposition is more or less just smoke and mirrors, and very little substance.

Last edited:
I'm going to laugh and cry when Mirvish inevitably sells the land and we get stuck with three 30 story POS boxes from some other developer that preserve the exterior walls of these warehouses.

If this things fails, watch the city bureaucrats start scurrying for cover with "I really supported it, too bad M+G couldn't compromise more..."

Keesmatt better get behind this or she will be left holding the bag.

This thread started Sep 2013, and discussions occurred even prior to that with Vaughn.

New Toronto logo: Toron-No!

Last edited:
Sounds like some people remain unaware that this the core, a stone's throw from 1CP. and the site is completely surrounded by towers - Festival, Theatre Tower, Metro Hall. SO what if these towers are taller than other towers?

Because of the secondary planning area it's situated in.

You don't see me citing house heights around around Richmond and Bathurst, do you?

Because of the secondary planning area it's situated in.

You don't see me citing house heights around around Richmond and Bathurst, do you?

I'm looking West out of my window from 1CP, and all I see are big 40 story towers ringing that site right now. Craziness!

Frank-Gehry-Hines-skyscraper-Berlin_dezeen_1sq.jpg

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/02/03/frank-gehry-berlin-tallest-skyscraper-hines/

Look familiar?

That must have been made by an impostor, it is less than 50 stories tall, which as we've learned already is impossible.

I guess this just means Berlin is an unambitious non-world-class city.

Is less height at M+G seen as a desirable outcome for the city? If so, why? Is it purely the precedence issue?

The building looks like 8 Spruce in New York, which is a fantastic addition to the city.

gehry-tower-82.jpg

Why bring up the Berlin and present it as a straw man?

That must have been made by an impostor, it is less than 50 stories tall, which as we've learned already is impossible.

I guess this just means Berlin is an unambitious non-world-class city.

First of all, the irony of your post is that this design is set to become the tallest tower in all of Berlin. Crazy isn't it? A city associating exceptional height with exceptional design.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with ambition. It has to do with viability. A smaller tower means that there are fewer units to shoulder the high cost of executing such an elaborate design. I suspect that the German tower is an ultra-luxury building with very high unit costs. Does Toronto have the number of wealthy buyers required to finance such a small luxury project? If not, the only way the project becomes viable is to add units until you reach some kind of economy of scale.

Last edited:
Why bring up the Berlin and present it as a straw man?

Because presenting a logical case hasn't worked out.

But as someone has already pointed out, it isn't the straw man it was intended to be. Instead, it strengthens the M&G case even more...setting a height precedent with high quality design.

Sorry RC8...but you walked right into that one. he he

Secondly, it has nothing to do with ambition. It has to do with viability.

Well exactly....Gehry designs products for client needs. The Berlin project suits one client's needs, while the Toronto project suits another client's different needs.

Back