Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Ah, but there's a difference btw/presenting a raw project, and presenting a context. Once you present a context, the "massive" majority becomes not so massive--or else, if we're talking about "the city as a whole", we're also taking into account Ford Nation, the EIFS/McMansion-teardown demo, etc etc. Thus, a "tyranny of" type of "massive majority" for whom Gehry might as well be an ooh-aah ferris-wheel/monorail thing. Especially if (as per your anecdote) they had no previous clue as to who Gehry is.

In which case, when you state that "not everyone out there is a architecture or skyscraper geek", you might as well append "heritage geek" to the argument--though it's curious that you didn't even acknowledge that possibility....

You seem to acknowledge the majority would up vote the project, yet you stubbornly conclude that "in context" they wouldn't -why? If this were proposed for the Annex I'd see the context was absurd. Smack in the middle of the entertainment district makes me think the context is utterly perfect.

Why do you feel your minority (expert?) view is more important than Ford Nation? I can't stand Ford, but his followers tend to be decent people for the most part and their votes count. Never underestimate the judgement of the common man - experts tend to overthink, be needlessly contrarain, and fail to see the obvious as a result.

Last edited:
Well, Houston still has two buildings that are slightly taller than Toronto's tallest (excluding C.N., of course), and Los Angeles has one, but where T.O. objectively surpasses those two cities hands-down (and Chicago, too) is in the total number of highrises.

Since the CN Tower is, by far, the most notable feature on the Toronto Skyline, I think it should certainly be considered when discussing the skyline. The technical consideration that keeps it from being defined as a building, that it is not habitable floors all the way up, does not keep it from being, well, visible, after all. The antennae on First Canadian Place, are also considerably taller by the way, though perhaps they should not be counted.

I think Chicago is still well ahead of Toronto in most respects when it comes to architecture. Until fairly recently, I think you could also at least make a case for Houston also. It is a few years since I was there but I do not think there has been all that much construction since then. In Houston, there isn't the gradual buildup of midrises, to lower highrises, to the Central Business District that you find in Toronto. That makes the Houston core really stand out from a distance, in a striking way.

Also, from some angles, the sheer height of the CN Tower can make the Toronto CBD just seem short by comparison. You don't get the sense of how tall those buildings actually are. From a distance, the tallest building in Vancouver, the Shangri La, actually looks taller than the Toronto core. In fact, there are probably a dozen or more taller structures in Toronto, but they don't stand out the same way the Shangri-La does.

To go back to Houston, however, and to a number of other American cities, they do not have the impressive extent of tall buildings that you find in Toronto. Beauty is subjective, but I feel confident in the opinion that the combination of height and extent makes Toronto the third most impressive skyline in North America.

^ Pittsburg. I totally agree; we should measure a city's beauty by its skyline pictures taken from several kilometres away. All those surface parking lots won't show up that way ;)
pittsburgh_aerial_2006_pittsburghskyline.com_35.jpg

Source.

heres a better pic.
pitsburgh.jpg

Attachments

• pitsburgh.jpg
    pitsburgh.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 337
Pittsburgh's skyline looks good, but not exceptional. Toronto's skyline is spectacular in every regard, especially the view of downtown from around Bloor St like from the Manulife Centre.

Jaycola,

Actually, earlier in the thread I stated I am grudgingly accepting of this project. I don't like the project as envisioned but as a property owner myself I respect Mirvish's desire to do something interesting with his. I also understand his frustration with the city and city by-law. On the other hand, I agree with many of the cities arguments and think they should not be swayed by the fact that a big name designer is involved.

It's almost funny how much certain people on this forum love to hate Toronto.

We have, what is regarded by many as, one of the best skylines in North America if not the world. Toronto is constantly ranked among the top 10 skylines of the world and it's only getting better.

City by the Lake by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Toronto Skyline by eric arnau, on Flickr

its a good thing these pics are from a distance so that you can't see how ugly they are.

its a good thing these pics are from a distance so that you can't see how ugly they are.

Oh god, give me a break, you clearly NEVER see a really ugly building. We got a lot of quality building and some not so handful others, like any other city in North America.

If you don't like Toronto, just leave. Nobody's gonna miss you.

How long will it take before we hear something with regards to the Mirvish development from the City Planners/City Council Members?

Will there be a deadline or timeframe for the decision?

How did discussions on the skyline even start? Personally, the design of the first six storeys of a skyscraper and its interaction with the street is more important than how it impacts the skyline. I'm amazed that anyone would look to Dallas as an inspiration for Toronto. Downtown Dallas is really quite pathetic, especially at street level.

images

How long will it take before we hear something with regards to the Mirvish development from the City Planners/City Council Members?

Will there be a deadline or timeframe for the decision?

Council has had a busy two days. We're heading into overtime!

ku-xlarge.gif

Originally posted by Kat_YYZ

Last edited:
I think Chicago is still well ahead of Toronto in most respects when it comes to architecture.
Agreed.
Also, from some angles, the sheer height of the CN Tower can make the Toronto CBD just seem short by comparison. You don't get the sense of how tall those buildings actually are. From a distance, the tallest building in Vancouver, the Shangri La, actually looks taller than the Toronto core. In fact, there are probably a dozen or more taller structures in Toronto, but they don't stand out the same way the Shangri-La does.
Yes, that is an unfortunate reality for Toronto, also because the CBD is set farther back from the lake than CN. Not that I would want to be rid of CN, but it does dominate from the south and west.

BREAKING NEWS

No Deal! Toronto City Planning takes the unusual step of presenting an alternative plan for 60, 55 and 50s max. Fight M+G at OMB.

Back