Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Yeah, but my point is: those 52 experts are judging a fait accompli. The thing is: even with Bilbao, Gehry wasn't working within a simple "Supreme Genius, do what you may" vacuum--almost certainly, there was give-and-take w/the community there, too...

You may be right, because I don't know. But seeing the Bilboa, an odd a structure as you can imagine, I think Gehry got almost exactly what he wanted, as I can't see anyone in the city of Bilboa giving that much input.

You may be right, because I don't know. But seeing the Bilboa, an odd a structure as you can imagine, I think Gehry got almost exactly what he wanted, as I can't see anyone in the city of Bilboa giving that much input.

Bilbao, not Bilboa.

Well, they gave input by approving it, let me tell you that--it's about more than just "odd structures". However, let me tell you that his next effort to recreate the Bilbao magic--Seattle's Experience Music Project--has met a more mixed reception over the years; and it has nothing to do with Seattlites being more stick-up-the-backside than Bilbaoans. "Supreme genius" isn't everything, y'know--sometimes the genius shines through; sometimes it's a little more laboured about it.

In fact, I'd argue that in the end, Gehry's AGO came out better than the EMP--and the fact that it's more "contextual" and less of a free-form blob is, or should be, beside the point re that argument...

Regardless of whether or not Gehry/Mirvish consider any input from the local councilor, community or the planning department, there is a regulatory process that the project must proceed through. Being a world renowned architect does not exempt one from the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act, Building Code, environmental regulations etc... it is an iterative & complex process that touches upon dozens of pieces of provincial legislation, hundreds of regulations and various municipal by-laws that will take some time and there are a number of requirements within the planning act that stipulate timelines for community consultation etc... Some people need to exercise a little patience and just be happy it isn't a greenfield project that can take upwards of 10 years to go through the entire approvals process.

However, let me tell you that his next effort to recreate the Bilbao magic--Seattle's Experience Music Project--has met a more mixed reception over the years; and it has nothing to do with Seattlites being more stick-up-the-backside than Bilbaoans. "Supreme genius" isn't everything, y'know--sometimes the genius shines through; sometimes it's a little more laboured about it.

In fact, I'd argue that in the end, Gehry's AGO came out better than the EMP--and the fact that it's more "contextual" and less of a free-form blob is, or should be, beside the point re that argument...

Gotta say I'm 100% behind this sentiment.

Regarding this project, Gehry has said he would take into consideration community needs. What he's not willing to do is accept advice from a councillor who suggests things like "can you integrate the front of a warehouse into your design". A warehouse? really? How about we put a hat on the Mona Lisa or put Tom Cruise in the Godfather.

Despite his age and experience, I notice he still cannot contain his contempt for people who question his art. And that's one of the things I like about him....a combination of ego, wit, humour and a healthy doze of crankiness (puts him league with FLW).

Regardless of whether or not Gehry/Mirvish consider any input from the local councilor, community or the planning department, there is a regulatory process that the project must proceed through. Being a world renowned architect does not exempt one from the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act, Building Code, environmental regulations etc... it is an iterative & complex process that touches upon dozens of pieces of provincial legislation, hundreds of regulations and various municipal by-laws that will take some time and there are a number of requirements within the planning act that stipulate timelines for community consultation etc... Some people need to exercise a little patience and just be happy it isn't a greenfield project that can take upwards of 10 years to go through the entire approvals process.

Yea Yea Yea.....Toronto could very easily piss this one away simply based on the usual misplaced notion that height is bad for the sake of it.

That's many months away still.

Ok I know there's been a lot more 'so what's the status of this building' posts lately with some of the more high profile proposals and I hate bumping a thread without something more substantial, but according to someone in the real estate forum of this site, there is an info event next week regarding the sales of the project.

Approval issues aside, looks like we are making some progress. Anyone else hear anything?

I only hope the architect will survive the approval process. Sometimes we have to streamline the process for big visions by great artists to become reality.

Frank Gehry is a brand and Mirvish wants that brand-name on his project. You won't see Gehry disappear from this project, even if its height or built form changed in any major way.

Frank Gehry is a brand and Mirvish wants that brand-name on his project. You won't see Gehry disappear from this project, even if its height or built form changed in any major way.

Agreed. I think no matter how much this project is delayed, shortened or compromised, we'll end up with a Gehry tower on King Street.

Back