Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Also, maybe people wouldn't be so protective of the old buildings on Yonge if the new buildings hadn't been such disasters in terms of creating retail dead zones (the Courtyard Marriott and the Eaton Centre are the biggest culprits here). It's no wonder that people look to Bay with such foreboding.

Bay is very likely the future of Yonge between Bloor and College if the developers get their way with the current designs we're seeing. Of course, some forum members would like to see it that way.

AoD, those heritage gems (if they can even truly be considered gems) you speak of not only form a minority of the building stock on the stretch of Yonge in question, but they also don't match the context of the street, given its new surroundings, and its important role in the city. In addition, there are many Victorian buildings in other parts of Toronto, and I'm not talking about houses either. Anyways, I'm not advocating the demolition of every single building on Yonge, I'm just saying that it's incorrect to turn "heritage" into a blanket term that covers everything built prior to 19XX, thus covering nearly the entire street. Buildings should be preserved for architectural merits, and a few other reasons, but the construction date should certainly not play such a large role. Expecting streets to remain the same and keep their "feel" indefinitely, regardless of any benefits that a complete makeover might bring to the city is an example of complacency.

As for the view vistas and shadowing issues, I don't bring those up as a form of trolling, but rather to highlight the (in my opinion) poor prioritization of principles at city hall. There are many ways in which the city can at least guide developers to create more engaging urban spaces. However, (and I challenge you to prove otherwise) the majority of their concerns seem to focus on height, shadows, etc., while completely disregarding design, and street engagement (aside from the occasional traffic quibble).

The word heritage can be used in blanket terms when it comes to Yonge st. because it's been an integral part of the communities around it since it was first constructed in the late 1700s and it has had cultural significance to the city in every era of Toronto's history. I can't think of an area of this city that is more fundamentally Toronto than Yonge st. and I would personally never even consider sterilizing it to appease some tourists who have no conception of its significance. We've lost enough of it already, and the only changes we should consider making is restoring and protecting what's left for the future.

As for the retail makeup of the buildings attached to Five, given the sensitivity that the developer is showing to architectural heritage of the area I would have hoped they'd show that same sensitivity to the character/cultural heritage of the area.

I'd like to see the future of downtown Yonge follow the initiatives of Kurfürstendamm. By maintaining historical storefronts where possible (just like what Five is doing here), with well integrated new mid-rise buildings that offer mixed-use/retail at base. Though in our case, towers are best when set back from the street. Additionally any new development should feature retail spaces that offer appeal and variation in order to enhance the pedestrian experience.

Though mainstream gentrification is inevitable, big-box formats such as BB&B and Marshalls should be avoided. Ideally new retail should be of manageable urban format in order to accommodate for a diversity of usages. Recent cafe and restaurant openings along King West indicate that decent retail can happen as areas evolves and develop certain niches.

As for the retail makeup of the buildings attached to Five, given the sensitivity that the developer is showing to architectural heritage of the area I would have hoped they'd show that same sensitivity to the character/cultural heritage of the area.

I don't think Cafe New Orleans, or Katrina's (or the Sutton Place Hotel for that matter) are coming back....

stjosephcorner.jpg

322783.jpg

Attachments

• stjosephcorner.jpg
    stjosephcorner.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 786
  • 322783.jpg
    322783.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
How many banks can there possibly be in one city? It seems like every condominium has a bank at the bottom. Will there ever be a point when there are too many of every kind of bank (not to mention Starbucks) and condominium retail finally becomes remotely interesting?

How many banks can there possibly be in one city? It seems like every condominium has a bank at the bottom. Will there ever be a point when there are too many of every kind of bank (not to mention Starbucks) and condominium retail finally becomes remotely interesting?

blah blah blah....complain complain complain....we get it already. enough with the rampant complaining (particularly on this thread) about retail. sheesh.

A retail bank can only serve so many customers. When you increase population density, you need more retail to service them. Rather than complain, perhaps you should be happy that in a few years time you won't have to travel more than 5-6 blocks to find your own bank branch? Density has its benefits; this is one of them.

If the perimeter walls and roof of a building remain standing, even with extensive interior renovations, I don't consider that a "demolition" of said building.

Historical case in point: Place Vendome, Paris.

...and, y'know, one of the most pleasing discoveries following my three-week computer-issue'd UT hiatus is that both bleu(/balenciaga/kkgg) and DtTO have been banned. Tasteless urban battery in the name of "freedom of opinion" won't get you anywhere, folks...

Back