Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

No it doesn't. Just becuase a building was something, doesn't mean it has to be forever. Don't even try to refute this, thanks.

Sorry, I am going to refute this. You are only reading what you want to, in reviewing my post. I clearly stated that I am fine with a complete change of materials, and even I'm even okay with a completely different colour being used for the inset corners. This clearly proves I am not suggesting that the entire building should not be altered; rather I am conveying the importance of one critical design element: the colour.

And here's another one for you: by choosing to re-clad FCP with white glass, the re-design architects and building owners clearly want to retain the intended colour and its effect as well. We've all seen what happens with impure glass (unwanted tints), so if FCP turns out as a nearly-white, blue-tinted skyscraper, it's clearly a result of a failed design to reality process. If changing the overall colour is part of the vision, then a) why are the project renders depicting a snow white building? And b) why not just go nuts, like UD suggested? 72 storeys of bright magenta glass with an LED show that'd make Vegas jealous.

You can't refute this, and please never re-hash my literary technique again.

Last edited:
I see green things.

Blah. Too Exchange Tower.

Yeah, you'd notice the textural difference between the stones up close, but a properly chosen white polished granite could've maintained a rather close approximation of the original marble. Besides, Exchange is grey granite. Concrete grey.

Restoration Display in FCP complete with new model

I'm also a little disturbed by the tint, but as others have said, let's reserve judgement until more of this is visible. It's way too early to be suggesting this could be a failure.

I have a great view of this from the gym at TD Centre, so I'll try and snap some pics from up there soon.

I think the "greeness" - off white cool grey - is heightened by the contrast agains the slightlly warm grey of the dirty marble.

AoD

Last edited:
Don't no why all of the fuss. We're looking at picture taken at different times of the day, at different exposures, on different monitors with different colour temps. You can't possibly know what the REAL colour is unless you have the colour specs of a panel and even then its appearance will change based on the light of the day. I'm guessing it will look great. I know for sure it will look better than it does now!

It would also be nice if they pulled down all those wires running above the streets, but I'm quite sure they serve some purpose... and doing so might break something.

Seriously speaking, it would be nice as others have suggested if they could consolidate all those antennae somehow... but I don't think that is technically feasible.

I saw this in person yesterday. It didn't look green to me at all like I was expecting after viewing the photos on this forum. It just looked white but not dirty like the tiles that are already there. I think when everything is replaced, it will just look clean and white.

Back