Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

It's a Saturday, and the workers are busy removing tiles today. Great to see they're not wasting any time with this project.

I rather enjoyed how they'd been gradually replacing the marble sections over the past few years ... and assumed that it was the recladding process. I could never figure out when the work was being done, however, since I never saw anyone actually doing it and assumed it must be at 3 a.m. or something.

The start

FCP29092009.jpg

I guess I'm in the minority on this but I absolutely love the tangle of antennae atop FCP. I'm glad it's not being tidied up with this makeover scheme. Thanks for the pic.

I guess I'm in the minority on this but I absolutely love the tangle of antennae atop FCP. I'm glad it's not being tidied up with this makeover scheme. Thanks for the pic.

I voiced a similar sentiment a few pages back, but it seems we're a minority.

^ They're just so 'authentic' and expressive to me, in a sort of Constructivist way, and very much part of the architecture of FCP and the city skyline by now. Let's celebrate them!

Last edited:
I think there's zero charm in those communication towers. They look ugly. Maybe one should be tilted so as to resemble some of the ugly utility poles at street level.

They'll even look uglier once all that new cladding is on.

So is that the West side that they're preparing first? I wonder if they're going to do one side at a time with a single bridge across one façade or all at once with a stage surrounding the building.

To me, this image shows how effectively they were refreshing the building by gradually replacing the panels. I see a glass half full rather than one half empty, and - much as I disdain the tower as a design statement that doesn't build on the happy synergy Pei established between the TD Centre and his Commerce Court West - I'd have been happier from a ( grits teeth ... ) "heritage" point of view to see the slow recladding continued:

I think there's zero charm in those communication towers. They look ugly. Maybe one should be tilted so as to resemble some of the ugly utility poles at street level.

They'll even look uglier once all that new cladding is on.

ha yeah, to make them authentically Torontonian they should be made out of 50 year old wooden poles, covered in a million staples and have ads for Spanish lessons plastered all over them!

Back