Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

Here's some shots I took yesterday...

4050304609_e9ce9b631c_b.jpg

4051053024_e78996d443_b.jpg

CMON now... the CN Tower ain't THAT tall!... -the moon!

4051062506_2f590e75bb_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve

All that talk about King West becoming a newly upscale shopping street has been moved here.

Yeah some extra hieght wouldve been good here, but this beast does itz work at ground level. so im not too upset about the lacking of height..... in time the entertainment district will become the largest skyscraper neighbourhood in the city..and the height required to make this happen will more than break any marks being set by the buildings here or the buildings going up right now...

I love what this one does for the streetscape. It's design is very urban and contextual and I respect it for that. Looks nice too.

Yeah some extra hieght wouldve been good here, but this beast does itz work at ground level. so im not too upset about the lacking of height..... in time the entertainment district will become the largest skyscraper neighbourhood in the city..and the height required to make this happen will more than break any marks being set by the buildings here or the buildings going up right now...

Festival Tower COULD start a chain reaction for skyscrapers in the entertainment district... Just like what the Residences at College Park did... They started a chain reaction of skyscrapers in the Bay/College district where there were no skyscrapers previously... Soon enough we'll see bigger and better skyscrapers in the lacking entertainment district!... -hopefully :D

Festival Tower COULD start a chain reaction for skyscrapers in the entertainment district... Just like what the Residences at College Park did... They started a chain reaction of skyscrapers in the Bay/College district where there were no skyscrapers previously... Soon enough we'll see bigger and better skyscrapers in the lacking entertainment district!... -hopefully :D

Dude, it already has started a chain reaction. :) Off the top of my head the following is planned or under construction within a couple blocks radius:

Theatre Park, 224 King W
John and Mercer
Westinghouse, 355 King St W and 119 Blue Jays Way (2 towers)
21-31 Widmer
John and Adelaide
Charlie
M5V
56 Blue Jays Way
99 Blue Jays Way
181 and 199 Richmond St W (2 towers)
300 Front St W
Fly, 352 Front St W, well this one isn't that tall
Boutique, well perhaps this was already planned before Festival

Dude, it already has started a chain reaction. :) Off the top of my head the following is planned or under construction within a couple blocks radius:

Theatre Park, 224 King W
John and Mercer
Westinghouse, 355 King St W and 119 Blue Jays Way (2 towers)
21-31 Widmer
John and Adelaide
Charlie
M5V
56 Blue Jays Way
99 Blue Jays Way
181 and 199 Richmond St W (2 towers)
300 Front St W
Fly, 352 Front St W, well this one isn't that tall
Boutique, well perhaps this was already planned before Festival

Yes.. I forgot!... but in the sense of 150m+... there's not too many yet :)

Soon enough we'll see bigger and better skyscrapers in the lacking entertainment district!... -hopefully :D

Agreed for the most part. Even in addition to all the examples MatrixElement listed, I think most new condo proposals in the coming months will be in King-Spadina/ the entertainment district. Only thing is, as far as city planning staff is concerned, Festival Tower will be the tallest building allowed in the area, so its doubtful any new proposal will get away with being taller than it.

The chain reaction skyscraper effect is actually unfortunate in this case because tall buildings will overwhelm the mid-rise warehouse character of the neighbourhood. We have an impressive stock of brick heritage buildings here which are more exciting than bland condo skyscrapers, imo. There are better places in the city for skyscrapers.

Fortunately, the city planners agree, and they will present as much of a barrier to skyscraper construction as possible for a department with no backbone.

Back