Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

Yeah, it is big. It will eventually occupy the space used by the gas bar/taxi stand, the Silver Plate building, the space right behind the Silver Plate building, and the space presently occupied by a seemingly abandoned building on Adelaide. It will also be 14 floors at maximum height (higher with mechanicals).

Did anyone go to the FH event on Saturday? How was it? Any news on the project or was it actually just a party?

Fashion House Launch Party

I went to the Fashion House Launch Party Saturday night....had a few free cosmo's and stayed for the lame fashion show. Music was pretty good. Regret arriving with a full belly...didn't take advantage of the complimentary sandwiches.

I was there too, nothing special. Crappy air condition, the place was pretty stuffy.

Free booze, warehouse style party with crumbling concrete. Just a tax write off for Freed. Good idea though, nice gesture.

Just a tax write off for Freed

I've never understood people dismissing the value of donations or giveaways because they are tax write offs. The logic is right up there with people saying that they don't want to work a few extra hours because they will pay more taxes. The only reason something would be a tax write off is because it reduces profit or income. Businesses exist to make profit so this tax write off wouldn't be much different from offering services for free. You realize that if you give money to charity you too can have this wonderful tax write off. Does the tax write off really devalue the act?

I've never understood people dismissing the value of donations or giveaways because they are tax write offs. The logic is right up there with people saying that they don't want to work a few extra hours because they will pay more taxes. The only reason something would be a tax write off is because it reduces profit or income. Businesses exist to make profit so this tax write off wouldn't be much different from offering services for free. You realize that if you give money to charity you too can have this wonderful tax write off. Does the tax write off really devalue the act?

Oh, I don't dissagree that it costs Freed Corp hard earned money. I take my friends out to dinners and buy gifts all the time that really shouldn't be claimed, but it still comes out of my pocket (although pre-tax pocket, that is).

I don't think what they did is wrong and that even though they got goodwill out of it, it still cost them (probably a lot of) money.

... I'm just jealous that he can throw a rockin party like that with a big name DJ and free booze, while I can't afford to.

May 16

2497954739_c1211d6b9e_b.jpg

It's tougher ... buildings have to be unique'
Fashion House project aims to live up to the ambitious design goals of hip King West strip

May 17, 2008 04:30 AM
Tracy Hanes
Toronto Star

When it comes to raising the design bar in Peter Freed's King West neighbourhood, Charles Gane sometimes has to outdo his own work.

After all, Gane and his company, Core Architects, have worked on seven Freed projects, including the first completed in the area, 66 Portland, and the soon-to-be-launched Fashion House, which Freed envisions as a defining landmark reflecting the hip neighbourhood the former warehouse district has evolved into.

"Peter realized King and Portland had great infrastructure and a great city life. He had a vision this would be one of the exciting areas to live in, as it's close to downtown and has great old heritage buildings," recalls Gane. "Here, you are somewhere. There are a lot of people in their 30s and 40s there, who are like-minded, downtown people. The whole area is on fire."

Gane's firm philosophy lists Context, Exploration, Interplay as key words and Core's portfolio includes some of the city's most distinctive condominium buildings and custom homes.

Freed and Core have pursued a decidedly modernist tone in the area formerly characterized by 19th century industrial buildings. This contemporary approach has "struck the right chord with the buying public," says Gane. "When you come downtown, you have to raise the bar with design."

The Fashion House at 560 King W. presented myriad challenges beyond coming up with a great design. Freed told Gane he was going to hold a design competition because "I want something really good." As it turns out, Core's submission won out over three other architectural responses.

"Sometimes it's hard not to copy ourselves and stay fresh, but this one breaks out of the mould," says Gane. "And it's been well received by the neighbourhood. It's going to have 70 different unit types (361 units in all). It's insane. It's so complex. It's a bit of a crazy design from a massing point of view."

The project includes retail and commercial space, work lofts, regular condo suites and must incorporate the historical 160-year-old Silver Plate Building, one of the oldest surviving factories in the King-Spadina neighbourhood.

The heritage building, which will likely be used for commercial purposes, was a factor in determining the Fashion House's design, because of the setback required by the city. What Gane and Core have created are two huge building sections, which resemble "long, extruded tubes with glazed ends," one stacked on top of the other. The setback of one of these angular planed "tubes" created the opportunity for a large "sky park" on the 10th floor with landscaping and infinity pool "which will get the south sun and have views of the city.

"It should be awesome," says Gane.

Curtains hung in the suites in the ends of the "tubes" that Gane describes will give the project its fashion hook: The draperies will be red and orange facing the street, yet white facing the interior of the units, so not to detract from residents' decor plans.

"We wanted a building that talks about fashion," says Gane. "It's a totally glass building and the colour and details will come from inside."

Special lighting effects will add to the dramatic silhouette after dark.

Gane was also mindful that the Fashion House would affect the views from the adjacent 455 Adelaide, another Freed project.

"We had to be sympathetic to those purchasers," says Gane, and care was taken to preserve most of those residents' views. "It will read like a building across the street."

One of the challenges of the neighbourhood is the restriction on building height.

"In this area, there are so many factors keeping heights down," says Gane. "It's tougher to develop there. Buildings have to be unique."

Curtains hung in the suites in the ends of the "tubes" that Gane describes will give the project its fashion hook: The draperies will be red and orange facing the street, yet white facing the interior of the units, so not to detract from residents' decor plans.

so that's how they are going to do it...

so that's how they are going to do it...

They also said something about the "special lighting effects" on the inside of the suites, to light up the curtains. They will be on an automated timer, that residents won't be able to control.

Kinda cool, don't know how it will play out.

My new favourite condo project. Didn't realize this was the result of a design competition. Hopefullly this becomes a trend.

This project is sounding better and better!

- rooftop landscaping
- infinity pool
- curtain effects that residents can't interfere with
- lighting effects

It's only entering the sales phase at the moment - any dates the developers throw around this early would be pure conjecture on their part.

Back