Toronto Fashion House | ?m | 12s | Freed | Core Architects

Think they should have used red in the actual facade of the building instead of using curtain. That's just lazy to me. They could have easily put fixed red panels into the design and let residents use white blinds.

Those red curtains won't last. Several realtor friends and a resident say that there have been talks about removing the clause requiring that they must be kept. Owners are complaining that they lower resale value and rental prices. Everybody seems to hate them.

I'm sure I would hate them too if I lived there but I recognize that without them, the building would look ugly from the outside with a mishmash of curtain colours and designs.

It might look pretty cool though if owners could choose any curtain colour, as long as it were a solid colour (and were curtains, not blinds, to keep the uniform texture).

The crumbling undersides kind of ruin it for me. Is white paint really that expensive?

The unpainted balconies and stained concrete cladding give this building a neglected look. The builder probably wanted the balcony slabs to match the concrete ceilings inside.

It doesn't work from the street. The concrete ceilings themselves look cheap in some units with stains and ugly imperfections. That might be as much a factor in resale difficulties as the curtains.

It might look pretty cool though if owners could choose any curtain colour, as long as it were a solid colour (and were curtains, not blinds, to keep the uniform texture).

I don't get why they didn't just spend a little more money and install roller blinds in all units. They could have had the outer facing done in red, and white on the inside. Almost nobody hates roller blinds.

I don't get why they didn't just spend a little more money and install roller blinds in all units. They could have had the outer facing done in red, and white on the inside. Almost nobody hates roller blinds.

But the curtains are what help separate this design from the other building's design. That texture given by the curtains behind the curtain wall glass is fantastic. Roller blinds would wreck the aesthetic. This is somewhat of a gray area though: are the curtains intended to be part of the architectural design? I think so, especially if they were mandated in the condo docs.

The unpainted balconies and stained concrete cladding give this building a neglected look. The builder probably wanted the balcony slabs to match the concrete ceilings inside.

It doesn't work from the street. The concrete ceilings themselves look cheap in some units with stains and ugly imperfections. That might be as much a factor in resale difficulties as the curtains.

I find it hard to believe that curtains hurt resale values. I mean, I've seen some of these units. While the finishes are above average, some of the layouts I've seen are bizare. 1 bedroom units with no wall that separates the bedroom from the rest of the unit. The kitchens without upper cabinets. Just shelving. Also, the lobby is terrible.

Shame more thought wasn't given to how the slab edge of the upper box was to be treated. Seems dirty, inconsistent and weathered already. Otherwise building looks sharp.

26835964914_839bca8ae3_h.jpg

26835965554_67f54b428d_h.jpg

Didn't the builder apply for LEED certification at some level? Does anyone know if it was granted?
Also, the hallways on each floor were supposed to receive a designer finish of some kind. Did that ever happen?

That interior is terrible, esp. the crap by the elevators. This is called Fashion House, so I'd expect to see some images of disheveled men in sweat pants and crusty shirts.

Back