Toronto Fashion District Lofts | ?m | 10s | Freed | Core Architects

wow. That new development sounds great. Restoration of the silverplate building as well as a little courtyard in front. Anything to remove that terrible 1 story addition to the front is fantastic.

Cabeman,

Do you find that 455 Adelaide is moving quite slowly? If I recall correctly, they started digging it out at the end of May last year. For a nine storey project it seems to be rising at a leisurely pace.

an 11 storey, 101 unit proposal is in this week's CofA agenda for the gas station

11 storeys = crazy for that stretch of King, unless it's staggered from 5-6 storeys in the front to 11 in the back.

wow. That new development sounds great. Restoration of the silverplate building as well as a little courtyard in front. Anything to remove that terrible 1 story addition to the front is fantastic.

This is an old and low res rendering, which hopefully will get upgraded soon.

570kingwesthz4.jpg

Hehe, I'm definitely not a height-o-phobe, but I am a bit anxious (and at the same time very excited!) about the big changes happening in this part of town. Redevelopments here, especially large ones which include heritage properties, must be done very thoughtfully.

Agreed...this is a fantastic part of town (and becoming even more so every day). The projects that have been going in there, especially the Freed ones, have so far been great.

I'd say 11 storeys is just about right...fear not the height!

If anyone knows the zoning rules for the area that'd be great. I believe there are relatively strict rules about setbacks so as not to crowd King too much. One of the Brad Lamb minions had mentioned this to me a while back.

Wow, that's a honkin' big proposal! The thing runs almost the whole block. I am wondering if they are going to get away with thirteen storeys as well. Whoever bought the townhomes (west side) on the ground floor of 455 Adelaide is in for a surprise. They may see the sun briefly if this new development goes up.

As far as I can tell 570 King is essentially approved since making its way through the OMB process earlier this year. The 455 Adelaide website still shows the 3 townhouse units on the west side of the building as unsold. I think they'll be a tough sell based on their location and price (I had seen them on MLS for 500k plus, but the listings don't seem to be there anymore). The units on the south side of 455 will eventually have to contend with whatever goes up at 560 King, but there's a plan for a public walkway between the 2 buildings, and with the rear building setback it might work out okay.

Cabeman,

Do you find that 455 Adelaide is moving quite slowly? If I recall correctly, they started digging it out at the end of May last year. For a nine storey project it seems to be rising at a leisurely pace.

I was talking to one of the Brad Lamb agents at the sales office a while back and he thought they were behind because of an OMB appeal by some neighbouring owners. I was aware of the appeal, but I understood that it had been resolved or dropped and didn't end up setting them back on breaking ground, so yeah, I was a bit surprised that the date was pushed back as much as it was. They've had (until very recently) a live webcam on the site and there always seemed to be activity when I checked, so I'm not really sure what would have put them behind. There's an article in the Star condo section today about delayed occupancy dates, and with all the various factors that go into getting a building built I guess delays are probably the norm these days. I think a lot of the factors are beyond the developer's control for the most part; the article made some good points.

Back