Toronto Etobicoke Civic Centre | 75.82m | 16s | CreateTO | Henning Larsen

Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From an unrelated shoot on Sunday, May 14th:
1684270968631.jpeg

Nice Photo just before construction starts!

What's happening with that parcel of land above the New Etobicoke Centre property? To the right of the park?

Haven't seen any renderings with what's happening there. Is it private land?

What's happening with that parcel of land above the New Etobicoke Centre property? To the right of the park?

There used to be a gold glass 3 or 4 storey office building there. It was demolished in the mid to late 90s if I recall correctly.

Yes, this is a private property, not sure who the owner is. They had some trouble expropriating land from the owners to expand Dunbloor road for the new alignment of Dundas.

Potentially just a new condo tower in that location. Just hoping for retail at the base.

There used to be a gold glass 3 or 4 storey office building there. It was demolished in the mid to late 90s if I recall correctly.
Yup, I remember that building very well (more copper tinged glass than gold). Anyone know why it was demolished so long ago, only for the land to remain vacant? Doesn't seem an ideal situation if I'm the land owner...

Yup, I remember that building very well (more copper tinged glass than gold). Anyone know why it was demolished so long ago, only for the land to remain vacant? Doesn't seem an ideal situation if I'm the land owner...
That was a medical centre that was left to deteriorate. I assume it was the single property of its landlord, single ownership from waaay back, and probably has one of those stories where the owner had a particular vision for the site (the rounded-corner, triangular floor-plate, and copper-coloured reflective glass came from some bolt of lightning, it had some style), but the owner was probably undercapitalized, couldn't keep up with maintenance, too stubborn to sell, probably died without a proper will leaving the property contested by their heirs… who knows, it'll be something like that. Someone at the City, whoever had to sever and expropriate bits of the property for former Dunbloor would know…

Periodically, you seem over 30.....just saying. LOL

If it is the same owner from when the last building was demolished then they are in a very ideal situation..
They've watched their land become and the area around it become a major transit hub with huge redevelopment potential.
Might have been a tax write off for the last 25 years and now can cash out!

The old Bert & Ernies?
I believe Bert and Ernie’s/Rockpile was near Cloverdale Mall. I attended a function held in the gold glass building. It was a restaurant/bar/event space called “Tramps”. I lived just down on Michael Power when they tore the building down.

Back