Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

NorthYorkEd,.... don't worry,.... I'm just pulling your leg.

With Bazis hyping EmeraldPark right from the start as being the next best thing since sliced bread and unable to deliver anything when promised (original delivery date was 2011 - when they finally started digging!, then changed to 2013 and now January 2015 seems to be getting pushed,... ) Needless to say, we have to keep people's expectation of Bazis low,... otherwise, they'll be even more disappointed.

Rumours was Metro was supposed to open last Fall,... but I doubted that from the beginning since there were only supposed to start interior construction of Metro last June - not enough time especially with these guys. But I noticed in the last few months the work on the 2nd floor seems to have stalled,... still at the ductwork stage. Maybe that has something to do with the application for consent to severe the 2nd floor retail property for Metro? Or maybe their interior workers are just concentrating more on getting the condo units finished,... but as we've seen with WholeFoodsMarket at HullmarkCentre, developer-builder only needs to deliver a concrete shell to tenant grocery store and the grocery store will have their own contractor build the interior to their specifications.

Also, we have to remember, the only other project Bazis has completed in Canada is CrystalBlu which was just one relatively short condo tower near Bloor and Yonge without any office or retail component and no podium - very plain Jane. The 2nd floor Metro with LCBO will be the anchor tenant and thus should be the busiest part of EmeraldPark,... and will give most people their impression of EmeraldPark.

CrystalBlu has one commercial space, it has a dry cleaner. The quality of the glazing is awful on CrystalBlu, from my condo I can see damaged cracked and yellow discolored panels on the mechanical level that the builder didn't bother to replace. I wouldn't buy something Bazis was involved with if CrystalBlu is representative of their work.

CrystalBlu has one commercial space, it has a dry cleaner. The quality of the glazing is awful on CrystalBlu, from my condo I can see damaged cracked and yellow discolored panels on the mechanical level that the builder didn't bother to replace. I wouldn't buy something Bazis was involved with if CrystalBlu is representative of their work.

Thanks for the correction Benito.

I remember so many people were so disappointed with the end result of CrystalBlu,... that some of those blue *crystal* shards embedded in the exterior walls at street level were damaged by hammers

Last edited:
My niece said that those blue crystals looked like a Raptor had attacked and climbed the building. I quite doubtful that was the look they were trying to achieve.

My niece said that those blue crystals looked like a Raptor had attacked and climbed the building. I quite doubtful that was the look they were trying to achieve.

I would have to agree with your niece.

End result of CrystalBlu is very different than their original rendering. EmeraldPark is closer to their renderings but the finishes are quite a bit off,... in terms of glass-panel finishing and mullions. In both cases they went for lower quality glass-panels and thicker mullion.

Also, the matching finishing on Lansing United Church rebuild (Bazis deal with church to get density transfer and added height) is likely now in jeopardy,.... after seeing the result at EmeraldPark,... that`s not neccessarily a bad thing!

From last week:

16150438487_ea85af44a4_c.jpg

16148939480_9151f080c9_z.jpg

To the west side of Beecroft, Lansing United Church will likely be demolished on Wednesday or Thursday - except Sanctuary.

Are they rebuilding the church? Or they building condos their?

Church with community centre,....

BTW, Carter - really nice old photos of construction in NYCC in your profile,.... thanks!

Anyone know when the south west entrance to the TTC will be finished?

I think TTC sign says early this year,.... but I wouldn't hold my breath! Attached photo shows progress of pedestrian tunnel of EmeraldPark TTC entrance at south-east corner of EmeraldPark to Poyntz TTC automatic entrance. They recently poured the cement roof of the pedestrian tunnel,... still need to finish air vent west of it. Plus lots of streetscape to be done as Poyntz being widen just west of Yonge by another lane. Thus, I'm guessing EmeraldPark TTC entrance will open in about 6 more months,... basically Canada Day,.... if we're lucky. More realistically, Labour Day!

HullmarkCentre north tower TTC entrance was supposed to be done by September 2014 then keep on being delayed another month,... right now they're hoping mid-February. HullmarkCentre south tower TTC entrance was also delayed by about 6 months as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2922[1].JPG
    IMG_2922[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 947
Progress of Lansing United Church demolition, started Thursday,... took out some trees on Wednesday,... Note: exterior I-beams in last photo

Attachments

• IMG_3054[1].JPG
    IMG_3054[1].JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 965
  • IMG_3056[1].JPG
    IMG_3056[1].JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 933
  • IMG_3135[1].JPG
    IMG_3135[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 937
  • IMG_3137[1].JPG
    IMG_3137[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 928
Last edited:
The podium design is really over powering. I'm still debating if I like it it not, but the mixture of modernism with an almost brutalistic touch is really interesting to look at.

I just wish there are tall structures adjecent to this building to compliment it's prominence.

Last edited:

Back