Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

if all goes well, it only takes 1.5 years for a building to go up... an example of this timeline is tridel's ventus 1 (they work on weekends too)

The only difference with Ventus is, that site was already pre-services, next to no excavation was required, shorter building @ 30 storeys, and Ventus was a more simple building footprint (with no building faces curving out canterlevering the structure)

My estimate for Emerald Park occupancy ... end of 2014 at the earliest

AD27 refers to possible height increase he suggested a few months ago and that has not materialized (unfortunately). I don't think this project on schedule; there was an undergound water problem, which slowed down the progress considerably.

Interesting... For height increases, doesn't there need to be applications and approvals, and thus a paper trail? I couldn't locate anything re the proposed height increase, unless the builders were still considering amongst themselves and just decided not to approach City Hall?

When first marketed they were saying occupancy in fall of 2011, then fall 2013 then they sent legal docs to residential buyers for occupancy date extension to 2015.

Also as I recall, T&T (via Loblaws) signed for Fall 2013 opening and they sold out the retail like hotcakes because of this anchor tenant. It's obvious now that the entire EmeraldPark will not be completed by Fall 2013, but I'm wondering since the retail levels at the base should be done by that time, is it possible to open the retail levels before the condo towers up above is completed?

We heard about the occupancy date extension sent to residential buyers but not about any sent to the retail buyers.

At what stage of construction would the retail at the base be permitted to open? Does all the cement structures of every floor above have to be in place? Do those floors also have to be fully enclosed? As I recall, the EatonCentre remained open while they constructed the entire 3rd (middle) office tower above (closest to Yonge & Shutter).

It has more to do with completion of elevator shafts and mechanical systems. Aura can get away with opening the retail early because the elevators that serve the retail are in their own shafts that don't go all the way up, and the mechanical is on an independent system.

May 12th Update:

My blocked view
DSC_0795.JPG

The only way shots of the hole can be seen is from overhead, as I could not get any shots at grade on Friday.

Those who have balconies or view from office widows will be the only one post photos until the 3 underground level is pour. Then there is the climbing of the fence on the weekend that I don't do.

They were still removing that small area of dirt in the hole.

The west gates were open on Sat, so I was lucky to get close to the edge. I was wondering if there any public space at Nestle building...

I can see about shots from my vantage point; only can provide from a borrowed cell phone.

On the removal of the large backhoe; it has been taken away several times before and then brought back. The pile of earth is so low now that they may need some other method to remove the last. The process was a small backhoe moving the earth from the base of the pile to about half way up. A larger backhoe moves it from there to the upper part of the pile and then the largest one (that was moved on Saturday) reaching down from street level and scooping it into the waiting dump trucks.

The other two backhoes may still be in the pit--you can see them in vz64's first picture from Saturday above.

Back