Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Who comes up with these estimates for opening day? Is it Metro or Bazis?,... the same folks who said Bazis EmeraldPark will open in 2011,... then 2013,... then 2015,... then,....

If the planning dept and certain people weren't so uptight about a couple additional floors, this thing would have been finished ages ago

If the planning dept and certain people weren't so uptight about a couple additional floors, this thing would have been finished ages ago

Seriously???

When a development has zoning, height and density issues it takes longer. I challenge you to find a more complex development application in this city than Bazis EmeraldPark,... with all the zoning changes, density transfer from Lansing United Church, church rebuild, section 37 developer contribution, land swap with city, height change, etc,... oh and add the fact that the developer added additional floors while under construction (while keeping the same overall height by chopping height clearance per floor),...

Meanwhile, Tridel Hullmark Centre has been in various stages of negotiation with the city since the mid-1990s for their development. Parts of Tridel Hullmark Centre (south tower) has already opened a few months ago,... the entire Tridel Hullmark Centre will likely be completed by year end. Basically 10-15 years from initial negotiation to completion.

Bazis, started marketing EmeraldPark in summer of 2008,... they didn't even put in an application to the city yet. And since Bazis EmeraldPark will likely be completed in a year from now,... I would argue, city planning bent over backward to accommodate Bazis EmeraldPark!

Furthermore, Bazis NEVER even put in an application for the 50 or so floors represented in their original rendering,... that's all smoke and mirror,... it's called Marketing,... how close does the current building even resemble their rendering??? The original rendering had 5-6 shades of translucent green,... currently green glass and Dollarama green! Their original development application to the city came in fall 2008 and only had 30 storey for west tower and 39 storey for east tower. Here's the preliminary report from October 2008!
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-16855.pdf

And that's basically what they got from the city 30 storey west tower and 40! for east tower,.... then Bazis started chopping height clearance on each floor to squeeze in two more floor into each tower,... city planning granted their request,... so they got 32 storey on west tower and 42 storey on east tower (all within the same overall height allowed). When podium was basically finished, they realize they messed up on basic math for west tower and they're about 5 feet short in overall height clearance. Their solution was to add another floor to west tower by chopping height clearance on each floor AGAIN to squeeze in one more floor,... once again, city planning agreed,... thus West Tower is now 33 storey. I don't ever recall other developers doing this sort of stuff,... but once again, city planning bent over backwards to accommodate this developer!

Meanwhile, Tridel Hullmark Centre has been in various stages of negotiation with the city since the mid-1990s for their development. Parts of Tridel Hullmark Centre (south tower) has already opened a few months ago,... the entire Tridel Hullmark Centre will likely be completed by year end. Basically 10-15 years from initial negotiation to completion.

Gee, are you picking these #s out of a hat:confused:

August 29, 2006........http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/council/cc060925/nomj(18).pdf
To: North York Community Council

Subject: Preliminary Report
OPA & Rezoning Application 06 163756 NNY 23 OZ
Applicant: Stephen F. Waque, Borden Ladner Gervais Llp
Architect: Kirkor Architects & Planners
4759-4789 Yonge St
Ward 23 - Willowdale

Purpose:
To provide preliminary information on the above-noted applications and to seek Community
Council's directions on further processing of the applications and on the community consultation
process.

Gee, are you picking these #s out of a hat:confused:

August 29, 2006........http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/council/cc060925/nomj(18).pdf
To: North York Community Council

Subject: Preliminary Report
OPA & Rezoning Application 06 163756 NNY 23 OZ
Applicant: Stephen F. Waque, Borden Ladner Gervais Llp
Architect: Kirkor Architects & Planners
4759-4789 Yonge St
Ward 23 - Willowdale

Purpose:
To provide preliminary information on the above-noted applications and to seek Community
Council's directions on further processing of the applications and on the community consultation
process.

Dude, I have lived in this Yonge-Sheppard-401 area for about 25 years,... and there's been development application / community meetings signs on Yonge Street in front of that Dominion then Metro at south-east corner of Yonge & Sheppard since the mid-1990s,... the developer and city have been going back and forth way before that 2006 reference you found,.... BTW Detective,... first post of Tridel HullmarkCentre thread,... come on,... seriously???
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/668-Hullmark-Centre-(NYCC-Tridel-Hullmark-45-35s-Kirkor)

Anyways, developer and city has been going back and forth about development on this site since mid-1990s,... way before there was even an Urban Toronto forum!,... thus, looking for a first reference on this forum would be useless! The original applications went to OMB,... this final settlement between city and Tridel/Hullmark was done without OMB. City fought tooth and nail to get those 12 storey of office space at north tower.

Metro

WholeFoodMarkets started their construction inside Tridel HullmarkCentre around Febuary and plans to open this Fall.

Metro plans to start their construction in June and plan to open in November of this year,... or next??? Who comes up with these estimates for opening day? Is it Metro or Bazis?,... the same folks who said Bazis EmeraldPark will open in 2011,... then 2013,... then 2015,... then,....
Not sure but I'm on the construction team. We have been slotted to start construction in June 2014. My Boss says a very high end design.

The second curve is starting to show.

14034443642_be0a222201_b.jpg

Looks like you could use some syrup,.... hmmmm where can you get some syrup,....

That green reminds me of,....
Dollarama.gif

Dollarama.gif

http://www.dollarama.com/

Attachments

• Dollarama.gif
    Dollarama.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1,423
Great pics! This project has a great presence at street level.
Although we haven't seen the final thing yet, I think a better arrangement would be if the slopes of the 2 towers were sloped in opposite. It would seem more organic imo.

I'm honestly liking this more all the time. Could have made more of a statement at 50 and 56 (or close to that) like Asbolute in Mississauga.
urbantoronto-5391-16902.jpg
It's really green. Real green. The colour will be striking on the NYCC skyline. I don't care if everyone likes the colour. So many people complain about gray glass, well this isn't that.
I like the clear glass on the podium and a street level food court will do a lot to animate the area. With Hullmark across the road and pending renovation atSheppard Centre, this is gong to be a great intersection. The south west corner of Yonge and Sheppard is vacant and the Mc D's and Kinko's are just placeholders. What do you think of a couple 65's at this corner?

Attachments

• urbantoronto-5391-16902.jpg
    urbantoronto-5391-16902.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
We check out more of what is going on at Emerald Park in this tour of the office and amenity floors.

Back