Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Roadwork,.... so the corner of Beecroft and Poyntz won't be a sharp 90 degree,... it'll be a more gentle curve for driving. And also Poyntz at Yonge will widen to the north to line up with the extended Anndale (south side of Tridel-Hullmark Centre) to form part of the downtown North York Ring road,... Should be finish by next month.

Anyone know which bank would be setting up a branh on the main floor of EmeraldPark? They mentioned a major bank,... but didn't name which one.

RBC is setting up branch at Tridel-Hullmark Centre across the street.
CIBC is already in Sheppard Centre and they just renovated their branch.
Bank Of Montreal is also in Sheppard Centre,... north tower and they have offices in north tower as well.
TD is in basement of Sheppard Centre,.... and a few years ago opened another branch at on Yonge just north of Avondale (old police credit union branch),... but that block has a bunch of properties just waiting for redevelopment.

So I guess it's Scotiabank,... since they don't have much of a presence at Yonge & Sheppard,.... I guess there's no more room for a 4th bank at Sheppard Centre!,..... closest Scotiabank is at EmpressWalk.

It could also be a more ethnic bank like HSBC or Bank of China or Korea Exchange Bank,... but they did say major bank,....

HSBC and Bank of China are larger than any other bank you mentioned (by a looooong shot). I guess it depends on what their definition of 'major" is, i.e. assets vs. presence in this country.

Yes Xray_Crystal_Junkie, when considering assets under administration on an international level,... you would be correct,... by a long shot!

There's already an HSBC up at North York City Centre (Yonge & ParkHomes),... right across from the BMO.
And there's a Korea Exchange Bank at Madison Centre,....
But there's no Bank Of China in downtown North York,... so maybe, hmmmm,.... it would be a good fit, especially since T&T will be on the second floor and most of the first floor retail will be like PacificMall,.... hmmmmm,....

Funny thing,... this strip of Yonge Street from Finch to 401 probably have more banks branches than Bay Street in the downtown Financial District!

The developer of EmeraldPark tends to be way too secretive or maybe I'm just way too nosey! ;P They mentioned a major national grocery retailer taking the 2nd floor, but don't mention the name,.... officially it's Loblaws, but word on the street is its really Loblaw's T&T. They mention major bank and coffee shop will have the Yonge Street frontage on first floor (Since subway entrance will be at southeast corner, I'm guessing Starbucks just north of subway entrance and bank at northeast corner) ,.... they don't mention name of the major bank,.... only mention Starbucks Coffee.

In contrast, look across the street to Tridel-Hullmark Centre,... not only do they mention exactly who the major retail tenants are (Wholes Food and Royal Bank of Canada,.. but they'll advertise it on their boardings. Parts of the Tridel-Hullmark Centre boarding looks like a FormulaOne racecar with all those corporate logo,... especially the boarding listing all the financial institutions involved in their $500 million project.

Yes Wang88,.... National Bank would be a candidate too,... they're not a big 5 bank,... but I guess they're "national" enough to be considered a major bank. There's currently no National Bank in the downtown North York Area,.... whereas TD has 4 along Yonge Street between Finch & 401.

Funny thing,... this strip of Yonge Street from Finch to 401 probably have more banks branches than Bay Street in the downtown Financial District!

BTW, the length of Yonge from the 401 to Finch is equivalent to Bay from the Gardiner to Bloor.

Hmmmm,.... that sounds like a challenge. :eek:

I've done an inventory of all bank branches and credit unions (excluding ATM, money-marts, curency exchange shops, specialized investments shops, etc,...) for the two areas.

Bay Street from Bloor to the Gardiner Expressway is 3.1km. I've expanded the Yonge Street area originally from 401 to Finch to Henden/Bishop Ave (just one block north of Finch) so that it would also be 3.1km.

LEGEND:
< on west side of street
> on east side of street
*** CREDIT UNION
B# Bank count
CU# CreditUnion count

Inventory for "Uptown Yonge Street" between 401 and Hendon-Bishop Ave (just one block north of Finch)
B1 < RBC 5700 Yonge Street - North American Life Tower - Yonge & Hendon southwest corner - formerly at 5460 Yonge
B2 < TD 5650 Yonge Street - Xerox Tower - Yonge & Finch northwest corner
B3 > Scotiabank - Yonge & Finch northeast corner
B4 < BankOfMontreal - 5522 Yonge (south of Tolman/Finch - New - just opened)
B5 < TD - 5400 Yonge Steet
CU1 < *** DUCA - 5290 Yonge Street
B6 > CIBC - 5255 Yonge Street
B7 < HSBC - North York City Centre north tower - Yonge & ParkHome/Empress southwest corner
B8 < BankOfMontreal - North York City Centre south tower - Yonge & ParkHome/Empress southwest corner
B9 > Shinhan Bank - EmpressWalk - Yonge & ParkHome/Empress southeast corner
B10 > Scotiabank - EmpressWalk
B11 > RBC - 5001 Yonge Street
B12 < Korea Exchange Bank - Madison Centre
B13 > BankOfMontreal - Sheppard Centre - north tower
B14 > TD - Sheppard Centre - mall lower level
B15 > CIBC - Sheppard Centre - south tower
B16 > TD - 4685 Yonge Steet - north of Avondale

Total:
16 Banks
1 Credit Union

These 2 banks are in projects that are currently under construction - they could be new branches or branches being relocated
> RBC - Tridel-Hullmark Centre
< unnamed major bank in EmeraldPark

Inventory for "Downtown Bay Street" between Gardiner Expressway and Bloor Street
B1 < TD - Bay & Bloor southwest corner
B2 > BankOfMontreal - Bay & Bloor southeast corner
CU1 < *** Meridian - Desjardin Credit Union - Bay & Wellesley northwest corner
CU2 < *** Alterna Savings - Bay & College northwest corner
B3 < CIBC - Bay & College southwest corner
B4 > TD - 777 Bay Street - Bay & College southeast corner
B5 > BankOfMontreal - 763 Bay Street
B6 > CIBC - Bay & Dundas northeast corner - AtriumOnTheBay mall lower level
B7 < TD - Bay & Queen southwest corner
B8 < Scotiabank - Bay & Richmond northwest corner
CU3 > *** Meridian - Desjardin Credit Union - Bay & Richmond southeast corner
B9 < ICICI Bank - 350 Bay Street
B10 < BankOfMontreal - Bay & King northwest corner - First Canadian Place
B11 > ScotiaBank - Bay & King northeast corner - ScotiaPlaza
B12 < TD - Bay & King southwest corner - Toronto Dominion Tower
B13 > CIBC - Bay & King southeast corner - Commerce Court
B14 < SBI (State Bank of India) Canada - Bay & Wellington northwest corner
B15 < RBC - Bay & Wellington southwest corner
B16 > TD - Bay & Front northeast corner - Brookfield (BCE) Place - TD Canada Trust Tower

Total:
16 Banks
3 Credit Union

If we're only counting the bank branches,... then we have a tie,.... both area has 16 bank branches. If we include credit union, then downtown Bay Street would lead since it has 3 credit unions whereas uptown Yonge Street only has 1 credit union.

Even though it's a tie for the number of bank branches in the area,.... the downtown Bay Street area has the huge flagship bank branches of the big 5 banks whereas the uptown Yonge Street area has the JoeBlow regular bank branches. Also, the downtown Bay Street area has other bank branches to the east along Yonge Street and to the west along University Avenue,... the uptown Yonge Street area only have bungalows, McMansions and condos to the east and west of Yonge Street.

What's interesting, in the next few years,... as new bank branches open up, the Uptown Yonge street could have more banks than dowtown Bay Street. There's an RBC branch that's going into Tridel-Hullmark Centre when it finishes next year and another major bank (unnamed) going into EmeraldPark. I don't know if these will be brand new branches or relocated branches. Also, there are other development projects in the uptown Yonge Street area whereas downtown Bay Street is basically already built up. Some uptown Yonge street projects like GibsonSquare, Sorbara group and the Centrium with Korean mall are great locations for bank branches.

Well, I guess FlyOnTheWall source is better than mine.

My apologies to FlyOnTheWall,.... I was wrong and you were correct for stating Metro would be replacing T&T at EmeraldPark (in post# 872 on July 15th). I was wrong to attack your credibility. This forum should be a place for sharing thoughts, photos, information and ideas. FlyOnTheWall, thanks for sharing.

T&T-Loblaw wasn't happy with all the delays at Emerald Park,... so they bailed. Even now, forget about getting to street level by August,... probably won't even happen by end of the year. Look across the street at Hullmark,... to stay on schedule (opening Fall 2013) they're working in the evening until 7pm - when they have so stop construction noise and there's a skeleton crew working on the weekend. EmeraldPark is dead quite in the evening and weekend.

The vast majority of Condos buyers brought before T&T-Loblaws signed up, so it would have been a bonus for the Asian condo buyers,... but it's generally a non-issue. Since about half of condo buyers are Asian,.... they would have been disappointed,... if they even knew T&T signed up and then bailed.

The one floor of office tenants,.... did they even sell that?

The real losers are the first floor retail buyers,... those that brought in knowing that T&T-Loblaws already signed up for the entire second floor retail space. Many of these were Asian mom&pop small stores and food court restaurants thinking this would be like a mini-Pacific Mall. Surely all these Asian shops-food stands wouldn't have signed up if it was Metro on the second floor,.... As usual, it's the little guys that loses.

This Emerald Park mall would be really odd,... lots of Asian Pacific Mall type shops on the first floor and Metro on the second,.... the first floor retail will surely be dead,.... the anchor tenant for them was supposed to be T&T,.... not Metro. Who shops at Metro anyways? Watch those first floor retailers bail,... EmeraldPark mall will be worst than the 40 year old SheppardCentre.

There was talk some of those small Asian retail shops on the first floor would set up office space on the 3rd,... they're probably looking to bail on both now.

That bank and Starbucks with Yonge street frontage already commited before T&T-Loblaws signed up.

With one new condo openning up every 4 months in downtown North York these days,.... I guess T&T-Loblaws won't have too much difficulty finding another nearby location,... with a more reliable developer,... that can actually deliver as promised on time,....

BTW,... Arghhh,... I can't stand Metro!

Last edited:
with the road work that is being done around Emerald Park, it must be very difficult to get anywork one on site.

but anyways, i guess to get any real work done you gotta do it your self.

With one new condo openning up every 4 months in downtown North York these days,.... I guess T&T-Loblaws won't have too much difficulty finding another nearby location,... with a more reliable developer,... that can actually deliver as promised on time,....

BTW,... Arghhh,... I can't stand Metro!
Their only options are Centrium and (outside NYCC) Park Place - and we know Centrium is even further behind than Emerald Park.
(maybe T&T is just holding out on any GTA expansion for now)

Back