Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

The building is fine. A few people here insist on trashing it at every opportunity, but as someone who's been living in the building for more than two years... It's fine! I literally don't have a single major complaint. One of the elevators has gone down a couple of times and needed a day to be repaired - that's as bad as it gets. Literally, talk to someone who lives in any condo built in the last five years and they'll have complaints worse than that.

Why don't people buy in the older buildings? Maintenance fees are a lot higher. That's why they're cheaper - people can't spend as much on their mortgage payment if they have to spend more on the maintenance fees.

SunnyRay;
The squeaky wheel finally got some grease. I spoke to the building inspector in May explaining the same issue and lack of accessibility. He inspected the building, called me back and said those doors don't need an exterior button because the building has other accessible doors thus meeting Ontario code. My response was " there's code and then there's common sense." He agreed but said he can't enforce it. Now, the residents will have to get EP maintenance to fix the interior button.

Constructo, my last conversation with City Building Inspector (PC) was late September when I once again mentioned these EmeraldPark TTC doors are probably the only accessible doors in the City that are accessible only from one side (interior) and not the other (exterior). I also mentioned the lack of "Caution Automatic Door" signage would fail to warn others of swinging doors, and thus pose a safety hazard.

The City Building Inspector's argument was it meets Ontario Building Codes,.... which apparently is a very low bar: "The student centre, Lepofsky said, would not have been built with these issues if the Ontario Building Code and Ontario’s Disabilities Act had more strict regulations and standards. The government and other institutions need to also focus on training architects on accessibility, he added." “If we don’t change the laws and if architects are not being trained sufficiently about accessibility, then we are creating more generations of problems and paying for it,” he said. “Someone shouldn’t be getting a licence to be an architect or a design professional without being really trained to design a building that everyone could use.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...students-with-disabilities-advocate-says.html

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see an exterior button unexpectedly show up late last week. Once the presto fare gates replace the floor to ceiling high automatic turnstiles at TTC Sheppard-Yonge south (Poyntz) subway pay entrance, this TTC entrance which services the residents of 22 condo towers will be accessible to those requiring walkers and mothers using strollers. Since the south HullmarkCentre and Menkes Proctor&Gamble TTC entrances have stairs, EmeraldPark TTC entrance with elevators and handicap accessible doors with buttons on BOTH sides would be their best option!

I'm starting to think of the two EmeraldPark TTC entrance powered doors, the eastern doors has been un-powered (thus, the interior eastern button doesn't work) to prevent the eastern door from opening automatically and hitting a frail person trying to access the exterior eastern button (liability issue). Right now, the exterior eastern button and interior western button controls the western doors. The eastern doors seems unpowered, which is an unfortunate choice since that's the door most used since of the two, since it's closest to the stairs, elevator and street corner.

Anyways, they're still missing the "Caution Automatic Door" warning signage for the western door,...

IMG_7160.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7160.JPG
    IMG_7160.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 503
The building is fine. ...talk to someone who lives in any condo built in the last five years and they'll have complaints worse than that.

Why don't people buy in the older buildings? Maintenance fees are a lot higher. That's why they're cheaper - people can't spend as much on their mortgage payment if they have to spend more on the maintenance fees.

Fair enough, but I'm more concerned about the long-term durability. Maybe the building is fine today, but how will it hold up over the next 10-20 years, or more? I don't mean to just pick on EP. This goes for any of the new buildings. I just have a feeling that in the next several years there will be a lot of issues and deficiencies coming to light with a lot of these newer builds, similar to the "leaky condo" scandal that hit Vancouver in the mid-90's:

Many homeowners have been faced with correcting a problem they did not create, by a contractor they had not hired; they purchased the units either from a previous owner, a developer, or a developer/contractor. Typical repair costs are in the tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars, resulting in significant hardship, bankruptcies, and lawsuits against the developers, contractors, architects, and others involved in the original construction and maintenance of the buildings.

In total, approximately 45% of the 159,979 condominium strata units and 57% of the 700 school buildings constructed in B.C. between 1985 and 2000 were found to have envelope leak problems.[12] It was reported in 2002 that 90% of 3–4 storey units built have serious problems and that some have undergone envelope repairs two and three times.[13] In 2008 it was estimated the cost to repair the damage to schools alone would be nearly $400 million...

As in Toronto, the Vancouver crisis was preceded by a boom in multi-residential construction and a smoking hot RE market, forces that lead inevitably to cheap, inadequate product built only for maximum profit.

I personally prefer the older buildings. They feel more like homes, and the higher maintenance fees often include several utilities, while most newer buildings use individual metering. Sure, they aren't as new and shiny, but they feel more solid and better-built.

Does anyone spending upwards of $750K on 800 square feet really care about a few hundred dollars extra in maintenance fees? Fees at EP are in the $700's already, and many of the older buildings include all utilities, and sometimes even full-tier cable packages. And you can even stretch your legs or put a dresser in your bedroom. :)

Fair enough, but I'm more concerned about the long-term durability. Maybe the building is fine today, but how will it hold up over the next 10-20 years, or more? I don't mean to just pick on EP. This goes for any of the new buildings. I just have a feeling that in the next several years there will be a lot of issues and deficiencies coming to light with a lot of these newer builds, similar to the "leaky condo" scandal that hit Vancouver in the mid-90's:

As in Toronto, the Vancouver crisis was preceded by a boom in multi-residential construction and a smoking hot RE market, forces that lead inevitably to cheap, inadequate product built only for maximum profit.

I personally prefer the older buildings. They feel more like homes, and the higher maintenance fees often include several utilities, while most newer buildings use individual metering. Sure, they aren't as new and shiny, but they feel more solid and better-built.

Does anyone spending upwards of $750K on 800 square feet really care about a few hundred dollars extra in maintenance fees? Fees at EP are in the $700's already, and many of the older buildings include all utilities, and sometimes even full-tier cable packages. And you can even stretch your legs or put a dresser in your bedroom. :)

I strongly dislike commenting in this thread (or now any online forum actually) but I think you raise an interesting point.

As a resident of the Y+S area, when my partner and I were looking for our second condo (as in, selling and moving out of condo #1 and buying and moving into condo #2) we knew what we wanted. An older and larger condo that fits what you described. And we found it. There are several older buildings (around 20-30 years old) in the area and we eventually found the one for us. It's 1200 sq feet, two bedrooms, and with maintenance fees equivalent to EP but also includes all utilities and a full cable package (that we honestly don't use).

Throughout this process of searching for a new home, I'd often ask myself why the heck anyone would buy into EP, Hullmark, Gibson Park, or any of the newer buildings.

And I think the answer is, as with many things, it's a little of this and a little of that. NorthYorkEd, I think you're correct in that there are definitely investors and speculators who buy into the newer buildings and seek to make profits or park money. However, I think AmnesiaJune is also correct in that 'things are mostly fine'.

On this forum we are in such a bubble that we often lose the perspective of the majority of Torontonians. We have inside knowledge and debate issues and topics on such granular matters that most people don't care about.

Yes, EP does have major problems. But some people don't care or don't really notice about a broken door or maybe even the slow progress of a subway tunnel when there are so many other entrances near by. (**And some people do! Please I don't want to argue about this**)

With older condo buildings, there is also many headaches. My partner and I purchased a unit that was almost as old as I am. It needed an additional $50k in renovations, and still has work to be done. In the last sudden rainstorm, we had water leaking out of our balcony door into our unit. It wasn't a case of mismanagement or poor materials, but just age.

And some people don't want to put up with any of that. They like new and shiny (nothing wrong with that) and no muss or fuss. And buildings like EP etc provide that. Obviously at different levels of quality, but new is new.

My current building hallways has carpets and designs from the 80s. It's very clean and well kept, but some people would be instantly turned off by that.

Anyways, my point being is that I agree with both of you. Some people care more for certain things and rate those more highly in their opinion. I don't have a mini-mall beneath me with many food options, but EP does. Maybe someone really likes that. My 2nd bedroom is larger than the master bedroom in many EP units, but if I was single I wouldn't really care about that.

Thankfully we live in a free market where those who care about A, and those who care about B, can find options that work for them. No one is forced into buying into EP or a musty old (but bigger) condo. My 2 cents.

And now I go back to lurking...

You really need to set foot in a third condo building if you think Hullmark Centre is a remarkably well-managed building and EP is horrible. Literally talk to anyone who lives in a relatively new condominium with more than ten floors.

My condolences. You must regularly live in condos where residents take to GOOGLE MAPS to complain about management. I've lived in many condos (mostly downtown), and I've never had friends ask me why the hell people are leaving 1 star negative reviews about my condo on Google Maps when they try to get directions here.

I think they've been deleting some of the really bad reviews because there was one that specifically called out Tanisha which was hilarious.

I'd love for you to meet everyone that lives on my floor because not a single one of them has had a positive experience with management. It's funny, we have an ongoing email chain for everyone on our floor to communicate issues because management never does anything unless we get the entire floor to bombard them with the same complaint.

It took me so many emails just to ask management for the meeting minutes from the last board meeting. They eventually told me I'd get it in a week. Of course, they never sent them and then ignored my follow up email. Getting them to do anything is like pulling teeth. It's so ridiculous dealing with these clowns.

Last edited:
Mint;
It's the Bazis way of doing business. Delay, frustrate your callers and emailers, and hope they'll go away. They tried that numerous times with city departments and TTC during the tunnel construction but found it doesn't work. They never learn.
I emailed their "info" site recently just looking for new, updated info on any of their projects. This was their response.
"Greetings,
Thank you for your email, please note that if you are inquiring about the status of the Emerald Park TTC tunnel connection we are pleased to share with you that the TTC tunnel connection is open and ready for your use." Wow! Talk about up to date information or lack of.

Mint;
It's the Bazis way of doing business. Delay, frustrate your callers and emailers, and hope they'll go away. They tried that numerous times with city departments and TTC during the tunnel construction but found it doesn't work. They never learn.
I emailed their "info" site recently just looking for new, updated info on any of their projects. This was their response.
"Greetings,
Thank you for your email, please note that if you are inquiring about the status of the Emerald Park TTC tunnel connection we are pleased to share with you that the TTC tunnel connection is open and ready for your use." Wow! Talk about up to date information or lack of.

His complaints are about the property management company, not Bazis. That company is FirstService, who are a giant condo & office management corporation from the US.

My condolences. You must regularly live in condos where residents take to GOOGLE MAPS to complain about management. I've lived in many condos (mostly downtown), and I've never had friends ask me why the hell people are leaving 1 star negative reviews about my condo on Google Maps when they try to get directions here.

I think they've been deleting some of the really bad reviews because there was one that specifically called out Tanisha which was hilarious.

I'd love for you to meet everyone that lives on my floor because not a single one of them has had a positive experience with management. It's funny, we have an ongoing email chain for everyone on our floor to communicate issues because management never does anything unless we get the entire floor to bombard them with the same complaint.

It took me so many emails just to ask management for the meeting minutes from the last board meeting. They eventually told me I'd get it in a week. Of course, they never sent them and then ignored my follow up email. Getting them to do anything is like pulling teeth. It's so ridiculous dealing with these clowns.

Mint, as a condo owner, you would have much more say than a renter with your Board of Director and the City Councillor's office. The first step in getting replacing FirstService would be organizing fellow owners and presenting your case to your Condo-Board. After that, if you feel your Condo-Board is not acting in the best interest of you and other condo-owners, contack Councillor Office (there, Catherine would be most knowledgeable on condo issues).

Issue with FirstService is really part of larger issue with Bazis that we've seen throughout EmeraldPark both during and after construction,.... namely Bazis's systematic habit of choosing contract that'll benefit Bazis the most - often the lowest cost (regardless of quality) or highest under the table payola,... but also those with escalating costs over time that gets dumped on others,... thats causing retail-office maintenance fee to more than double now - predatory contract that starts off cheap for Bazis but cost jumps when condo/retail/office owners/renters have to pay for it!

A number of owners should get together and petition your Condo Board, who has the power to switch service provider. The Retail-Office Board looking into this since they feel they're being overcharged and could get bring in a much better service provider at lower cost. Thus, here there's an opportunity for Condo Board and Retail-Office Board to kick out FirstService contract and bring in their own.

Your Condo-Board should also consider joining Avondale Community Condominium Association (ACCA - territory is technically other side of Yonge and south of Sheppard to 401) and Yonge Corridor Condominium Association (YCCA which also includes ACCA condos since YCCA territory is entire Yonge Corridor in North York Centre); both ACCA and YCCA will advise your Condo-Board on dealing with these contracts and maintenance issues, also give your condo a stronger voice on municipal and provincial issues. Personally, I'm a house guy and quite active locally in North York Centre so I'm familiar with numerous local organizations over the years (PM me if you need contact info for anyone or organization mentioned here),.... both YCCA and ACCA used to be much more active under previous leadership, YCCA changed top leadership but still have same folks in there,... more focus now on condo specific issue. Both ACCA & YCCA usually become more vocal around election time.

Last edited:
Holy Mackerel:eek:, what happened to this thread?

Automation Gallery,... welcome to the Bazis EmeraldPark Support Group; we consist of locals, condo/retail owners/renters dealing with the aftermath, recovery efforts, trauma and cleanup efforts of Hurricane Bazis at EmeraldPark! You're more than welcome to stay and help here on our online crisis-support line,... or you can just whisper sweet nothing about how great Bazis is. Anyways, we need all the help we can get,... even our beloved resident renter is considering jumping,... ship!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-riocan-quadrangle.17901/page-27#post-1253248

Do bring wet water gear,.... as you'll never know when remnants of Hurricane Bazis will make surprise appearance,... causing it to rain,... inside EmeraldPark!:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-127#post-1138969
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-127#post-1138977

Automation Gallery,... aren't you glad Bazis EmeraldPark wasn't built twice as tall as you'd like,.... then we'd have twice as many unhappy posters here!!!

Automation Gallery,... welcome to the Bazis EmeraldPark Support Group; we consist of locals, condo/retail owners/renters dealing with the aftermath, recovery efforts, trauma and cleanup efforts of Hurricane Bazis at EmeraldPark! You're more than welcome to stay and help here on our online crisis-support line,... or you can just whisper sweet nothing about how great Bazis is. Anyways, we need all the help we can get,... even our beloved resident renter is considering jumping,... ship!
Automation Gallery,... aren't you glad Bazis EmeraldPark wasn't built twice as tall as you'd like,.... then we'd have twice as many unhappy posters here!!!

Really?...Not everyone is on the the same page, only the ones that you have brainwashed are nitpicking and bothered by minor problems,
you guys are just looking for something to criticize Bazis, .....its a ridiculous rant:eek:

The building is fine. A few people here insist on trashing it at every opportunity, but as someone who's been living in the building for more than two years... It's fine! I literally don't have a single major complaint. One of the elevators has gone down a couple of times and needed a day to be repaired - that's as bad as it gets. Literally, talk to someone who lives in any condo built in the last five years and they'll have complaints worse than that.

Really?...Not everyone is on the the same page, only the ones that you have brainwashed are nitpicking and bothered by minor problems,
you guys are just looking for something to criticize Bazis, .....its a ridiculous rant:eek:

Automation Gallery,... you're more than welcome to explain to us what a great job Bazis has done at EmeraldPark. Oh, please do,.... Heck, it doesn't even have to be "great",... how about "decent",... or just "ok",... heck, we'll settle for "not crappy",....

Last edited:
I think this is a pretty wonderful project. The kinks will get fixed in time, but the building is distinctive, the shopping is diverse.

Yes, distinctive architecture no doubt. But what exactly is so "wonderful" about this project ? The food court without a real public toilet ? The dead trees lining Poyntz ? The dirty walls of the subway entrance (delayed x number of times for over 2 years which became a headline in Toronto Star) ? The broken entrance doors that take months to repair ? The faulty sidewalks that require regular repairs ? The unoccupied retail space on the second floor (how long has it been now ?) ?

Back