Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The SSE will start construction at the same time as the EWLRT. After leaving Mount Dennis, the line is underground briefly and emerges to an elevated viaduct before Jane Street. (Using TBM's for some reason) The line is elevated until it heads into a tunnel portal west of Scarlett Road.

Hmm interesting. The line will already be elevated/at surface at Mount Dennis, it seems a bit odd to tunnel such a short section. I'm assuming, this is only to save some houses in the way :confused: . When might it be expected for either of these lines to start construction? 2022-23?

Hmm interesting. The line will already be elevated/at surface at Mount Dennis, it seems a bit odd to tunnel such a short section. I'm assuming, this is only to save some houses in the way :confused: . When might it be expected for either of these lines to start construction? 2022-23?
Next year actually. Tunnel contracts will be awarded in mid-2021.

Hi! I fully understand that transit needs to be built and too much debate is one of the reasons we've stalled on it. I also understand that a fast link to the airport/Mississauga is needed, but most of the corridor is just houses and "established neighbourhoods". Unless the zoning changes for these areas, there is no point building it underground.

Vancouver has built next to detached housing well, so why can't we? Why tunnel in places that will never even develop, and build above-grade in the east portion of the extension (where there will be development and where there are apartment blocks right next to the alignment)? It's simply bad planning. Metrolinx should put logic before politics, and use the savings to build more!

Hi! I fully understand that transit needs to be built and too much debate is one of the reasons we've stalled on it. I also understand that a fast link to the airport/Mississauga is needed, but most of the corridor is just houses and "established neighbourhoods". Unless the zoning changes for these areas, there is no point building it underground.

Vancouver has built next to detached housing well, so why can't we? Why tunnel in places that will never even develop, and build above-grade in the east portion of the extension (where there will be development and where there are apartment blocks right next to the alignment)? It's simply bad planning. Metrolinx should put logic before politics, and use the savings to build more!
Great Question. The reason why is because that is where Doug Ford lives and he wants a subway so we're getting a subway. TBH though, I'd rather have it be a subway over an at-grade LRT so at least we have that.

It's honestly too slow to be all that useful as a crosstown line, even as a subway. We need something with wider stop spacing to enable higher speeds. No one is going to be riding from say, MCC via Transitway to eventual EWLRT all the way to Yonge. At least, not if they have any choice.

The Ford Gov are preparing special legislation (not sure if they have passed it or not yet) to allow developers to build on top and around the new stations of the '4 priority projects' using any land they buy up to construct the lines.

They also have changed the growth plan to allow developers to force the city's hand to reason around transit stations. (It's the same law that relaxed the density rules for the suburbs, but upped the density around rapid transit)

From The Star:
While setting lower targets for greenfield development, the province’s amendments wouldn’t change minimum density requirements for areas immediately surrounding existing or planned transit stations. Both versions of the growth plan stipulate 200 residents and jobs per hectare for areas served by subways, 160 for light-rail or bus-rapid transit, and 150 for GO Transit.

However, the new plan would expand the approximate area around a stop where developments would need to meet those targets to a radius of up to 800 metres, an increase from the current 500 metres.

They have already created a tailtrack under Eglinton past Weston Road (to about Guestville Avenue). The tunnel will be built cut-and-cover under Eglinton to a portal on the north side of Eglinton at the parkland on the hill before Eglinton Flats (south of Gilmour Crescrent, which is on top of the hill).

From link.
1601645880610.png

From link.
1601646133744.png

The tunnel will be built cut-and-cover under Eglinton to a portal on the north side of Eglinton at the parkland on the hill before Eglinton Flats (south of Gilmour Crescrent, which is on top of the hill).

From link.
View attachment 273598

From link.
View attachment 273599

The diagrams literally have arrows pointing at the tunnel under Eglinton and noting a "Bored Tunnel".
It would make sense to cut and cover though. Where did you get the cut and cover information?

The diagrams literally have arrows pointing at the tunnel under Eglinton and noting a "Bored Tunnel".
It would make sense to cut and cover though. Where did you get the cut and cover information?

If they use a tunnel boring machine, they would still need to cut down to install the machine. It would be almost a block in length, roughly the length of the section from the Mt. Dennis tailtrack to the portal. Wouldn't make sense to use a TBM here.

Reactions: syn
Here's a rendering of what could have been with the original Eglinton West subway proposal from 1993 (this was scanned from the environmental assessment of the project) that I compiled for one of my pet projects. Hope it's not against forum rules to include a link to it.

History repeats itself!

View attachment 273914
Interesting. I never knew there was a plan for a downtown within the City of York. Your website also looks interesting as well.

Interesting. I never knew there was a plan for a downtown within the City of York. Your website also looks interesting as well.

Just North York and Scarborough go their "downtowns" (sort of). Plans were made for East York, York, and Etobicoke. Only Etobicoke may get one (again, sort of) at Kipling, Bloor, and Dundas (Six-Points). The BIG plans were scuttled when Mike Harris amalgamated all the cities of Metropolitan Toronto.

Back