Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I don’t think that’s right.

I think the problem is that by using a “both sides” narrative and acting as if these collisions are a matter of bad luck/timing we completely remove the incentive to do anything about the problem. It feeds into the perception that these collisions aren’t preventable, and that no one is really responsible.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that incidents are happenstance or bad luck. Nor that there aren’t any specific accountabilities.

Road safety depends on a system of ”rules” (some of which are codified in law, others are a matter of general understanding or common sense) to keep cars and pedestrians separated. In a perfect world, the “rules” would create multiple barriers so that if one rule is broken, the remaining rules maintain the safety of the situation….. but in road use, the reality is that even one deviation from those rules may result in calamity.

Each individual who is part of that shared use has a responsibility …. because of that “one little mistake” vulnerability.

Drivers bear a particular responsibility because they control the force and direction of a very big, solid, lethal machine. There’s abundant evidence that drivers frequently fail to meet this responsibility. But this does not imply that every incident is the failure of a driver to do so properly.

- Paul

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s right.

I think the problem is that by using a “both sides” narrative and acting as if these collisions are a matter of bad luck/timing we completely remove the incentive to do anything about the problem. It feeds into the perception that these collisions aren’t preventable, and that no one is really responsible.

It is the exact opposite. Pedestrian awareness is part of the recipe to prevent collisions, not to imply that they aren't preventable.

It is the exact opposite. Pedestrian awareness is part of the recipe to prevent collisions, not to imply that they aren't preventable.
The same can be said for cyclists, how often do we hear about one dying because of a dump truck, or a cement mixer truck, I don't blame the truck drivers one bit.

• Angry
Reactions: PL1
The same can be said for cyclists, how often do we hear about one dying because of a dump truck, or a cement mixer truck, I don't blame the truck drivers one bit.
I would also consider putting 100% of the blame on cyclists to be trolling. If I get another complaint that you're continuing in that vein, there will be consequences for you UrbanToronto account.

I would also consider putting 100% of the blame on cyclists to be trolling. If I get another complaint that you're continuing in that vein, there will be consequences for you UrbanToronto account.

Never did I once claim that it's entirely the cyclists fault. In my opinion, both sides are guilty in regards to respecting each other on the road. Obviously something has to be done, but penalizing the driver over what could have been a mistake made by the cyclist is something I don't agree with.

My original post was quite poorly worded, and it's understandable why people thought I was "trolling" when I wasn't.

The centre portion opening in 2022-2023 is covered by the Crosstown LRT thread (see link). This thread is for the western extension and we have the Eglinton East LRT extension thread (see link).
He's going to lose his mind when he realized Eglinton East now includes the old Transit City Sheppard East LRT, from Nielsen to Morningside, and the link to Malvern. And maybe even all the way west to McCowan.
eelrt-transit-network-updated.jpg

Gosh, we need another thread for the proposed Crosstown West extension from Renforth station to Pearson station.
ECWE_updated_map.jpg

Back