Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It would create traffic roar for the residents in the buildings to the south. Noticed how this example wasn't on the southeast corner, which would put it closer to Doug Ford's house.
Ain’t that public housing building construction creating a worst uproar right now?

Because no one will ever want to transfer to the 45/945 bus...
Just slightly worst. The station is always very deep and getting to the northbound stop would take crossing the roadway twice anyways.

^I wonder what the pedestrian counts for the various intersections will be.

I appreciate all the reasons why there has to be a single large station box, but to my mind each of the four corners should ideally have its own satellite set of stairs so that riders don’t have to make a single pedestrian crossing of those busy streets.

I don’t see all that much attention to the locations of the bus stops for north south routes, for that matter.

One can hope for improved intersection design to tame the cars, but, I would try to minimize the exposure (and save pedestrians a wait for a walk cycle) by not having people cross at all.

- Paul

Crossing suburban streets isn't that big a deal. UTer's are so soft.

Personally I like the trees on the southeast corner. It offers a nice experience with the bike lane going under them offer shade with trees on both sides. I rather see they shift the station box west of the intersection and take out those short trees on the southwest side. Something like this. View attachment 368120
I totally agree they should just undo the mistake and get rid of some of those townhouses instead.
Main issue I can see here is this makes for an awful connection to anything going N-S on Kipling (buses, cyclists, pedestrians). We need to build transit as a network, not just standalone subway stations.

We have high-rises (office or condos) that use heated driveways. How about heating the sidewalks around the vicinity of the stations (especially the entry) to melt the snow or ice, when the temperatures fall below 0° and it is snowing or sleeting. If ambitious, they can use heat pumps to pull the underground heat from the stations. Unfortunately, the area councillors have a bad reputation against pedestrians, so it won't happen.

extralarge.jpg
From link.

Crossing suburban streets isn't that big a deal. UTer's are so soft.
Crossing suburban streets is how a majority of our pedestrian deaths happen though. Although that could be fixed by designing the roads to be safer, as opposed to building lots of pedestrian tunnels.

Crossing suburban streets is how a majority of our pedestrian deaths happen though. Although that could be fixed by designing the roads to be safer, as opposed to building lots of pedestrian tunnels.
Unfortunately, we have councillors who would oppose rebuilding the roadways to be safer for pedestrians. They don't want to anger the drivers by narrowing the streets which would force the drivers to slow them down. The drivers want to drive fast not slow.

Last edited:

How about pedestrians pay attention to when crossing? A lot of pedestrians are hit due to running across on yellow (or solidly red) lights, etc.

As for making crossing safer, pedestrian signals have countdown timers now. Putting entrances on every corner so people don't have to cross at all is a frivolous expense IMO.

Safety nowadays is the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Now matter what is done we never can never keep it's radical advocates satisfied.

How about pedestrians pay attention to when crossing? A lot of pedestrians are hit due to running across on yellow (or solidly red) lights, etc.

As for making crossing safer, pedestrian signals have countdown timers now. Putting entrances on every corner so people don't have to cross at all is a frivolous expense IMO.

Safety nowadays is the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Now matter what is done we never can never keep it's radical advocates satisfied.

Because paying attention will apparently stop drivers from running reds, hitting bus shelters, etc? I am not sure why protecting lives is all that "radical". Also, placing transit entrances at intersection with route changes is a fairly standard practice.- having entrance/exits not only make it more convenient for riders - but also benefit drivers by cutting down on the amount of people having to cross the roads.

AoD

Last edited:
We have high-rises (office or condos) that use heated driveways. How about heating the sidewalks around the vicinity of the stations (especially the entry) to melt the snow or ice, when the temperatures fall below 0° and it is snowing or sleeting. If ambitious, they can use heat pumps to pull the underground heat from the stations. Unfortunately, the area councillors have a bad reputation against pedestrians, so it won't happen.

extralarge.jpg
From link.
I think this is a very viable option, especially on high pedestrian trafficked streets like Yonge, Bloor, Queen and King.

Because paying attention will apparently stop drivers from running reds, hitting bus shelters, etc? I am not sure why protecting lives is all that "radical". Also, placing transit entrances at intersection with route changes is a fairly standard practice.- having entrance/exits not only make it more convenient for riders - but also benefit drivers by cutting down on the amount of people having to cross the roads.

Exactly. Spending all this money on a subway and not creating the best most convenient possible transfer paths between surface routes and the subway is just dumb….. not to mention the safety and traffic flow benefits. These are very busy intersections with high volumes of turning vehicles. The temptation for motorists to take chances with pedestrians while turning will always be there…. separating the two is just good pragmatic risk management. And not that costly in the scope of the project.

- Paul

AoD

When you feel the need to build entrances on all corners because you're concerned about freak accidents like drivers hitting bus shelters, etc, you've entered bubblewrapper territory. Sorry.

As for the transfers, put both 73 Royal York stops on the north side. The only people transferring who will need to cross will be those on the eastbound supplementary Eglinton buses. Not that many after the line opens.

Unfortunately, we have councillors who would oppose rebuilding the roadways to be safer for pedestrians. They don't want to anger the drivers by narrowing the streets which would force the drivers to slow them down. The drivers want to drive fast not slow.
I have to say Eglinton isn't a pedestrian friendly corridor but it's not an efficient high flowing corridor either as there is no right turning/bus loading lane either. So traffic gets backed up anyways when buses load or people turn right.

I think a successful city should maintain a few fast vehicle intended corridors so people can get in and out of the city. The rest should be slow local circulation streets made for pedestrians/cyclists.

Back