Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Nothing will get built if the owner “Metrolinx” does nothing. Feds don’t really step into local affairs.
The GTAA (Greater Toronto Airports Authority) was formed in 1996 by the Government of Canada, which was divesting its direct control of airports across the country to similar operating agencies. So there is some federal control of it. Since the LRT would go through airport lands, the feds would have some say in it.

bQiYsgmKx9gXShZ5_oBuenSB-ZI-JPr2s25c1eww7Wyuj5SHxK-DqSFSi5STEF2vDrlvzq48nDQ4tm5djOBGK3TUJOOCOGCy9R-ye3loA5akTAeuig_4xGs_yEX2_I2z6Dh3SE2P

From link.

^Same approach was used in the Crosstown project. One contractor did the tunnelling, then the main project contractor took over. That division of tasks gets the tunnel machines in the ground and working before all the design work that is needed to even bid the main project is completed. The only design detail the tunnel contract needed was to dig and pour end walls wherever a station was planned - the TBM just drilled through the end walls and kept boring.
I’m guessing the same tunnel wall method - inserting prefab tunnel panels as the TBM proceeds - will be used.

- Paul

^Same approach was used in the Crosstown project. One contractor did the tunnelling, then the main project contractor took over. That division of tasks gets the tunnel machines in the ground and working before all the design work that is needed to even bid the main project is completed. The only design detail the tunnel contract needed was to dig and pour end walls wherever a station was planned - the TBM just drilled through the end walls and kept boring.
I’m guessing the same tunnel wall method - inserting prefab tunnel panels as the TBM proceeds - will be used.

- Paul
So I assume that they dig the station pits before the tbm reaches it?

Side note look at this time frame.
Screenshot_20210521-073849_Chrome.jpg

I know. So that’s coming in a separate contract? What’s the timeline on that? I ask, because while a tunnel is necessary, it’s not sufficient for this line to be a reality :)

Stations and systems is a separate contract per the April 2021 IO update.

1621610137433.png

Attachments

• 1621610122898.png
    1621610122898.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 110

Back