Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

I'm as pro-height as it gets, but even I thought it was a little unrealistic to expect the city to approve a 200+ metre tower in Etobicoke.

Funny, First Canadian Place would not be built today due to shadowing.

Let's keep in mind what has been built over the last decade and is being built. The tallest residential tower was 44 Charles at 51 storeys,160 metres. There were ten buildings over 150 metres. Now we have Aura and have topped 40, 150 metre towers. What more are people expecting?

Last edited:
Has this ever happened before. Does this mean that people on the upper floors who bought are just going to be abandoned with no condo?
Does anybody know?

It'll go to the OMB. I think you'll end up seeing this one get approved around 60 stories (670ft). The sales have been great, the company has a lot invested into the project. This might delay it a few months but it'll go through. It's a shame it won't be at the massive 750ft originally planned.

Aura is 78 floors. What is the big deal with 66 floors? Aura even had a 3 floor extension to arrive at 78.

Aura is also in the CORE of the City right on the Yonge subway line, this project is on the Etobicoke Waterfront in Humber Bay Shores which is served by the Queensway streetcar ... minor difference ?

^good point. A lot of this has to do with public transportation. There are already a lot of people moving into this area and not enough public transportation to support them and get them to downtown. Imagine an extra combined 111 stories worth of commuters living here, plus the existing population of the surrounding area, all serviced by one streetcar route, and an already crowded Gardiner expressway.

I'm as pro-height as it gets, but even I thought it was a little unrealistic to expect the city to approve a 200+ metre tower in Etobicoke.

That has more to do with the mentality of city staffers than anything else. Demand dictates 200m+ buildings, but many people haven't come to terms with the type of city Toronto is becoming. They still see Etobicoke as some sleepy low density place and insist it remain so forever. They're not people comfortable with this type of scale or density and are forcing the city to conform to their personal comfort level.

Last edited:
I suspect most people on this forum would agree that it is ridiculous for the city planners to reject this exciting proposal on the basis of height. Of all the projects outside of the downtown core this is one project I was looking forward to seeing realized.

Of course the Etobicoke York Community Council can reject the recommendations of the city planners and vote to approve this tower as happened with the Massey Tower after a concerted email campaign by UT forum members.

The community council will be meeting on November 19th. to decide the fate of this project. Below is a template that you can use to send your comments to the community council:

Email address: etcc@toronto.ca

Subject: My comments for 2013.EY29.5 on November 19, 2013 Etobicoke York Community Council

To the City Clerk:

Please add my comments to the agenda for the November 19, 2013 Etobicoke York Community Council meeting on item 2013.EY29.5, Request for Direction Report - 2183 Lake Shore Boulevard West - Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Lifting of the Holding (H) Symbol and Site Plan Control Applications

I understand that my comments and the personal information in this email will form part of the public record and that my name will be listed as a correspondent on agendas and minutes of City Council or its committees. Also, I understand that agendas and minutes are posted online and my name may be indexed by search engines like Google.

Comments:

Last edited:
^good point. A lot of this has to do with public transportation. There are already a lot of people moving into this area and not enough public transportation to support them and get them to downtown. Imagine an extra combined 111 stories worth of commuters living here, plus the existing population of the surrounding area, all serviced by one streetcar route, and an already crowded Gardiner expressway.

This area would be a good western terminus for the DRL.

The DRL should go back up to bloor, but it would fix down line capacity issues for the streetcar meaning they could handle the capacity. A GO stop is still the best idea to me.

That was quick. Looks like I'm not the only UT night owl tonight!

There's a GO station nearby already.

Last edited:

I thought the city's job was to improve transit in order to satisfy demand in an area, not to actively inhibit growth so that it stays within the confines of the current transit system?

I'm not for or against Eau, but for the city to reject it based on height, and shadowing?? That's ridiculous. If people want to live here (demand is clear evidence of this), it is the city's job to accommodate them. It is clear that city planners are completely incompetent as they are now having to reject projects because they haven't had the foresight to provide proper transportation. Well, that's the density argument. I don't even know where to begin with the "shadowing concern" here. Really? Shadowing? Here? :confused:

Development can be supported at this location, provided it is has a built form that conforms to the area context

This is just laughable. Do they actually think that the "area context" has kept up with the reality of development in the city or is this just an excuse?

Last edited:

Back