News   May 15, 2024
 755     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 647     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 438     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Samsung: manufacturer of hand grenades disguised as smartphones

Or washing machines disguised as TNT (seriously, take a look at what an exploding Samsung machine looks like :D )

My experience with Samsung is limited to my two TVs (both of which I have zero complaints, one is almost 7 years old and still acting like its brand new). I went ahead and bought a Samsung monitor for my new gaming rig (no complaints yet, fantastic picture), and my fridge is Samsung (I mean it's a fridge, hopefully it doesn't explode). Long story short, Samsung is my #1 pick for screens. The quality is superior.

My work phone is an S5 - biggest POS I have ever owned. Ever. The glitchiest OS by far. The iPhone is a much better phone from a UX perspective. For the last 1.5 years, my phone tells me it is -1 outside. In August, December, or June it is always -1. I can't seem to fix it by playing with the settings. Oh, and all my text messages come in garbled. I'll send a text, and the response will be ABOVE my text. When I'm firing off text messages to my boss during meetings, I have to spend time figuring the order of messages because the stupid phone just reorders them at random. I don't know how people buy Samsung phones.. And another thing because I hate this phone so, so much - it loves to dial contacts at random as I'm sitting at my desk. Just last week it decided to call my SVP out in the States, and since there was no 'call screen' - I couldn't hang up! I just heard a dial tone and his voicemail greeting to let me know the phone is calling. Fixed it by shutting off the phone..

Either way, these POS' are also exploding and spontaneously combusting.. No idea how one prefers Samsung phones.

Last edited:
And then there's this:

Samsung’s Tizen OS Has 40 Security Flaws: Researcher
Apr 03, 2017 12:22 pm | István Fekete

Samsung’s plans to have 10 million smartphones running Tizen, an open-source operating system, may be delayed, as an Israel-based security researcher has uncovered 40 zero-day vulnerabilities that would allow anyone to remotely hack these devices and take control of them.

samsung-tizen-560x287.jpg

Speaking with Vice, Amihai Neiderman, head of research at Equus Software, said, “It may be the worst code I’ve ever seen.” He will talk in more detail about the security holes he discovered at Kaspersky Lab’s Security Analyst Summit on the island of St. Maarten on Monday.

One of the biggest security vulnerabilities relates to Samsung’s TizenStore app, Samsung’s version of Google Play. The app delivers apps and software updates to Tizen devices. Neiderman discovered a design flaw that allowed him to hack the software and deliver malicious code to his Samsung TV running Tizen.

After noticing the vulnerability in the TV software, he purchased dozens of Tizen smartphones to check if these security holes were also present in the handsets. He didn’t elaborate on whether he found the same flaws in these devices, but the Vice article seems to suggest that.

Neiderman says the problem is with the new code written for Tizen over the past two years. From his perspective, the mistakes are similar to those programmers were making twenty years ago, which indicates that Samsung lacks basic code development and review practices to prevent and catch such security flaws.

Neiderman reported these problems to Samsung months ago but received only automated replies. That changed just days ago, and after the Vice article went live Samsung sent a statement saying it is committed to cooperating with Neiderman to mitigate any potential vulnerabilities, but referred only to the SmartTV Bug Bounty program, which seems to suggest that the flaws are mostly related to Smart TVs. Still, Neiderman says, Samsung needs to reconsider deploying Tizen in phones before doing a major overhaul of the code.​

Or washing machines disguised as TNT (seriously, take a look at what an exploding Samsung machine looks like :D )

My experience with Samsung is limited to my two TVs (both of which I have zero complaints, one is almost 7 years old and still acting like its brand new). I went ahead and bought a Samsung monitor for my new gaming rig (no complaints yet, fantastic picture), and my fridge is Samsung (I mean it's a fridge, hopefully it doesn't explode). Long story short, Samsung is my #1 pick for screens. The quality is superior.

My work phone is an S5 - biggest POS I have ever owned. Ever. The glitchiest OS by far. The iPhone is a much better phone from a UX perspective. For the last 1.5 years, my phone tells me it is -1 outside. In August, December, or June it is always -1. I can't seem to fix it by playing with the settings. Oh, and all my text messages come in garbled. I'll send a text, and the response will be ABOVE my text. When I'm firing off text messages to my boss during meetings, I have to spend time figuring the order of messages because the stupid phone just reorders them at random. I don't know how people buy Samsung phones.. And another thing because I hate this phone so, so much - it loves to dial contacts at random as I'm sitting at my desk. Just last week it decided to call my SVP out in the States, and since there was no 'call screen' - I couldn't hang up! I just heard a dial tone and his voicemail greeting to let me know the phone is calling. Fixed it by shutting off the phone..

Either way, these POS' are also exploding and spontaneously combusting.. No idea how one prefers Samsung phones.

Because the majority of the people don't have your issues....
Your phone sounds like its completely broken.

Some people prefer Samsung phones because they have leading edge hardware that iPhone might get 2 - 3 models later if ever.
Some people prefer Iphone because of the OS and App Store.

Some people prefer Samsung phones because they have leading edge hardware that iPhone might get 2 - 3 models later if ever.
It's really all about the OS. Leading edge hardware is great, if your phone has a sleek OS driven by the latest in UX. Otherwise, it's something you don't really get to enjoy, because the simple things weren't done right.

I'm sure my phone is broken, but really this hasn't been a great experience for me using Samsung phones, and I will likely never use them again. I have no loyalty to products unless they serve me tremendously well. My Blackberry was crap (screen just stopped working 10 days after my warranty expired) so I got an iPhone and never looked back - mostly because it hasn't failed me in 6 years through 3 devices!

What are some examples of the special features or hardware that's unique to Samsung/Android? I ask only because I have no experience with it (as an Apple loyalist).

There's Sony as well with its Xperia line of smartphones (which use Android).

They're comparable to iPhones in terms of quality, but they are very slow to update to the latest Android version (which can be a good thing).

As I said in the other Eaton Centre thread, the Sony Store there is replaced with a Microsoft Store.

I long for a Nintendo Store in Toronto. Midtown Manhattan isn't exactly close (despite me visiting Nintendo New York once last year). I like the design of Nintendo New York and I believe that it would be a great fit in Toronto. There's more than enough demand to warrant a Nintendo Store in Toronto (and it won't cannibalize Nintendo New York at all).

Haight & Ashbury will be moving into the former Gerry Weber space. I'm still not sure what's going on with their former location where Mexx used to be. Perhaps Le Chateau will be expanding into that space?

The unfortunately named Footaction store is now open where HMV and The Children's Store used to be. It features separate shop-in-shops for Nike, Adidas and Puma.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-store-in-toronto-eaton-centre-300436628.html

Also, the Queen Street entrance on Level 2 has hoarding built up in front of the doors, reaching up to Level 3. I'm not sure what's going on - perhaps they are changing to automatic sliding doors like the ones at the North entrance? Or preparing for renovations to the footbridge to Hudson's Bay?

B
Also, the Queen Street entrance on Level 2 has hoarding built up in front of the doors, reaching up to Level 3. I'm not sure what's going on - perhaps they are changing to automatic sliding doors like the ones at the North entrance? Or preparing for renovations to the footbridge to Hudson's Bay?

Both. The heavy doors are (mercifully) being rebuilt as sliding doors and the bridge is being replaced with the new design over the Summer in time for the holiday season.

Back