Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Indeed. The bastardization of Eaton Centre is finally complete. It would have been so much more handsome if they simply refreshed the set-back stair shafts with high quality glazing that eliminates the mullions and celebrate them for what they are while replacing the original panels with the new cladding system aligned vertically - but that requires a developer with good taste. Like seriously, you can give them Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and they'd turn it into a Walmart.

AoD

Hmmm. Maybe we should bow to Cadillac Fairview's wishes and call it CF Toronto Eaton Centre - after all, almost everything architecturally that made the Eaton Centre the Eaton Centre no longer exists.

What was their social marketing hashtag again? #tothecity? Yeah, it's a finger to it alright. Isn't it cute that they've managed to turn a coherent complex into the architectural mish-mash that defines all those other Cystic Fibrosis properties?

AoD

Last edited:
The weird thing about the Cadillac Fairview renaming is ... how did they determine which properties are "shopping centres" (renamed with "CF") and which are "office properties" (not renamed with "CF").

CF Toronto Eaton Centre probably has more office space than a number of their other office properties that were not renamed with "CF".

i.e. they did not rename The Toronto-Dominion Centre.

The Yonge Street frontage is officially a Frankenstein building. The way the older Sears elevation sits above the Nordstrom looks ridiculous.

It's an irony, too, that the strong vertical lines of the Sears store (with the relieved / set-back stair shafts), which could have been expressed down to ground level to create variation at grade, were straightened out into a long, horizontal frontage for Nordstrom. We've already gotten into this before, and I realize that Nordstrom has their own aesthetic they require for their locations, but I think this should have been handled more creatively.

So now that they've done what they've done, the next question is what happens above when Sears vacates the office space above. No date on that inevitability yet, but the murky future represents an even bigger chance to mess with the building. I'm saying we demand a highly reflective concave wall that reflects the sunrise every day of the year, focusing the beam on the new HNR rental tower, gradually burning lines across its entire west facade over the course of a year.

Well, the Shops at Don Mills is a bland, colourless name, but you can always make it worse by glomming "CF" onto the front.

Well it *just* occurred to me that "CF" could be the stand in for a not safe for forum phrase that would aptly describe the state of affairs at Eaton Centre. It starts with cluster.

AoD

Back