Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Lights on, bright and early at 7:30am.

They are very blinding, but it certainly gives the square more of a Times Square feeling. I like it. If the square is going down the bright lights, flashy billboard route, it's good they are going all out.

As mentioned above, I think the H&M logos are adhesive. It would be surprising if they didn't create a giant H&M light-up logo on the corner.
N2HUYFi.jpg

aaG3txu.jpg

Something like this:

lady-gaga-hm-times-square-opening-11.jpg

Yeah, I've been wondering for a while whether the needle needs to be recalibrated. But I think we should be careful to not be cavalier about what's going on downtown/at Y/D. In other words, we shouldn't take 'it's a large city' to just mean 'high scumbag quotient,' as if the translation were trivially true. It needn't be this way, although I'll admit a low scumbag quotient is probably a true translation of 'large city.'

Y/D is far safer than most other cities in my experience. Even Rideau street in sleepy Ottawa has far more drug dealers and homeless people hanging around.

I noticed that today and came here to post about it. :)

I also noticed how cheap the H&M facade looks. They're not aiming for any design awards, that's for sure. Off the shelf panels of acrylic, with no custom panels to account for the round sides. They just rounded it with several flat panels. That's a cheap out if you ask me.

oNDpdzm.jpg

I agree, very cheap looking. Even the logo just looks slapped on, it barely fits inside the frame and the position is odd.

Do you think the white panels will change colours?
I'd be surprised if they were just white all the time.

The Nordstrom looks good - there's a uniformity of design among the Toronto stores with the horizontally striped tiling. Calgary and Ottawa may match too (Vancouver's the oddball one).

I'd be very surprised if those logos weren't temporary as previously stated. The one in the middle isn't even centered between the two billbords. I'm having an ocd panic attack right now. :eek:
Given your skills with your trademark watermark, which I enjoyed very much, as it looked very natural, perhaps you could move the logo more so in the centre (and add your trademark watermark somewhere else as well).

From a newspaper back in the day. Building the north end of the centre.

IMG_7480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Why does Eaton Centre media tower look so dark? Are those light tubes on the side not working anymore?

Those photos were taken at 7:30 AM. I assume they had not come on for the day yet (even though the one advertising screen was on by then).

I remember those days, it was really an exciting development. I remember going inside once it opened when only the north end was open.

I remember that as well. There was a temporary wall at the south end of the completed north part where you could look south into the pit as excavation took place.

Back