Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

It's actually quite aesthetically pleasing as-is, in a THX1138 sort of way.

Yeah, it's pretty sad commentary when that temporary hoarding is actually preferable to the existing interior scheme.

It's rather Kubrickian. It just needs a big black monolith.

Leave it outside the entrance - it's clearly where the monolith belongs given the apes.

AoD

IMG_20151010_013730.jpg

Testing the LED Wall tonight. Good Lord this thing is bright. Testing a few panels (maybe 3) at the top of the hoarding you can see the bright white light.

There's a door for H&M on Dundas now. Even though it's still covered in construction cladding, the difference having an entrance on that side will make is already perceptible.

Inside the atrium, it's clear that they're going to open up the wall that had a long horiztonal billboard that you'd first see when walking in through the atrium doors on Yonge. There will be much more glass with an open view into a larger H&M. This measure along with the new stores stepped back into the former Sears spot are going to dramatically improve the atmosphere of the atrium that was destroyed when they covered up the "greenhouse" that was originally there.

The new hall looks dreadfully cheap and utilitarian. Any style the Eaton Centre had was destroyed; now, it's just a bunch of stores. No colour, no personality and no visual interest whatsover. Also, very few benches. If they were really going high end, would they not care a bit more about comfort? Several commercial areas in the Path are much better looking than this depressing space.

Did they get rid of the Canadian Geese? That's awful if that's true. I didn't know that the Eaton Centre was being reno'd to look vastly different. Very sad news it doesn't look the same as when I was a kid!! I need to check it out and see if all the windows are covered up now. The amount of light in the mall, coupled with the geese, made it a standout and distinctly TO.

Did they get rid of the Canadian Geese? That's awful if that's true. I didn't know that the Eaton Centre was being reno'd to look vastly different. Very sad news it doesn't look the same as when I was a kid!! I need to check it out and see if all the windows are covered up now. The amount of light in the mall, coupled with the geese, made it a standout and distinctly TO.

The geese are still there, at least.

Part of Cadillac Fairview's re-brand includes making every mall they own look nearly identical to each other. It honestly feels like certain parts of the Eaton Centre and Sherway (from the interior) look nearly exactly the same. If CF happened to own Fairview Mall outright, I'd bet we would see the same over there as well.

What did anyone say that made you think that any of that has happened?

The geese are on the south end. I doubt they'd ever go. They are a Michael Snow classic. If they were taken down they'd immediately go into a well recognized gallery.

Metro man: funny I have seen a few of these shots on Instagram recently. Who are you? Do I follow you? Or is this just a trend right now. I guess people like it

The new hall looks dreadfully cheap and utilitarian. Any style the Eaton Centre had was destroyed; now, it's just a bunch of stores. No colour, no personality and no visual interest whatsover. Also, very few benches. If they were really going high end, would they not care a bit more about comfort? Several commercial areas in the Path are much better looking than this depressing space.

Breaking News: Mall looks like a mall!

Of course it was. That's all it ever was.
The architecture of the original mall, the galleria, the plants, the fountains, the attention to detail, the futuristic Roger-esque inside-outside architecture.. The original structure was a gem. It's been stripped of everything by now.

Back