Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Here's a shot from Sept. 09. Were the coloured panes in the overhead glass added later or did the bright sun wash out the colour? It looks better all one colour.

eatoncntr.jpg

Last edited:
A quick glimpse, in the video, of the Church of the Holy Trinity. Thank ... God ... the Eaton family didn't demolish it as they planned to do, though a fire almost destroyed it a few years later.

HMV @ 333 Yonge are dicks, they won't honor their advertised prices for the sales on the old Planet of the Apes films so before seeing Transformers 3 in IMAX at AMC tonight (both shows sold out by 6:45, something not right there) we hit HMV in Eaton Centre where they were happy to honor the advertised prices on their website. My friend noticed the difference with the railings (I said nothing) and when I told him what had been changed he glanced around for a bit as we walked and declared that he hated the changes. I then concurred and a spirited discussed ensued.

The only thing I miss is Sweet Rosies, which was by the escalators before the reno. I was there every morning for breakfast and the lady that ran it was great. It's too bad they didn't allow them to renew the lease, as it was the only reason I went to that food court in the first place, and there was a line every morning.

Sweet Rosies is now in the Sheraton Centre food court.

I just noticed in this photo on Instagram that they rearranged the overhead lighting.

e10366d259a911e2b10722000a1f98d4_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/UOmmTDAzVc/

They got rid of the drop lamps and put in a row of spotlights instead. I like it. Looks a lot neater. Have they done anything to clean up the glass panes and mullions? I'm always awed by Yorkdale's modern version. It makes the original Eaton Centre atrium -- it's signature -- look rusty and messy. A replacement of the glass to a transparent would make a world of a difference. A clear view of the sky is what's so stunning about Yorkdale's version.

The light installation from UVA (same guys that made the Maple Leaf Square art) is having its premere on Nuit Blanche.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...public-art-display-slipstream-at-nuit-blanche

Two of the artist presented their work at OCAD tonight. Frigging amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4H_8YStQaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1Pyyi5hZw&feature=related

That lighting installation is doing nothing for the Eaton Centre. It gets in the way of a clear view of the atrium by day, and barely creates any light at night (for example, see the Instagram photo above: the giant reindeer is more interesting than what is running along the centre of the atrium).

This reno was the beginning of a lot of changes for this mall. Higher end stores have moved into the upper floor at an amazing rate since it began. The new Sephora flagship store, for example, looks amazing (although I've never been inside).

For now if they could just finish the new 'Richtree' (old south food court) that would be a marked improvement to the more than a year (18 months?) of construction hoarding.

I wonder why the left the entire North End alone though (on most of the levels) i.e. didn't redo the tiles or anything !

I agree about the lighting feature, I really want to like it, but its barely noticeable most of the time !

That lighting installation is doing nothing for the Eaton Centre. It gets in the way of a clear view of the atrium by day, and barely creates any light at night (for example, see the Instagram photo above: the giant reindeer is more interesting than what is running along the centre of the atrium).
I agree. It's quite a disappointment.

The lighting feature, like the hideous "Christmas tree" that they used this year, is just an example of the capitalist attitude that new is always better and that we need to always be replacing things and cramming more into spaces, even when it is NOT NECESSARY. More lighting features, more "public art", more billboards, more advertising... The Eaton Centre wasn't LACKING a public 'art feature'. It has Flight-Stop among other things. But the owner crammed one in for the sake of marketing, of redevelopment and of "newness".

At the end of the day, that lighting feature on the ceiling is just clutter and that "Christmas tree" we saw this year is a misguided choice to "modernize" what a Christmas tree is. Both detract from the existing decor (Flight-Stop and seasonal decor) in the mall. The reindeer were pretty cool though, and most people I know liked walking under/around them.

Last edited:

Back