Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

A little it of perspective on what the space previously looked like ;):

Top floor (open concept model):
IMG_20170318_1605114.jpg

Top floor facing Yonge-Dundas Square
*Interesting Note: The office of the former Sears CEO were located on the left side doorway around the corner from the TV.
IMG_20170318_1605193.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_1605114.jpg
    IMG_20170318_1605114.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_20170318_1605193.jpg
    IMG_20170318_1605193.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 762
Wow.. I’m glad this corner will have a lot more animation, but aside from the brand exposure at that corner, why would BMO want to move here?! This is nowhere near the financial district, homeless and scam artist central, light and sound pollution must be an issue for employees as well, especially in the winter. Wonder if they got a deal from CF since it sounds more like a partnership.

Wow.. I’m glad this corner will have a lot more animation, but aside from the brand exposure at that corner, why would BMO want to move here?! This is nowhere near the financial district, homeless and scam artist central, light and sound pollution must be an issue for employees as well, especially in the winter. Wonder if they got a deal from CF since it sounds more like a partnership.

BMO already occupies multiple freshly renovated floors of 250 Yonge, I guess they're trying to centralize and consolidate their office space downtown rather than sprawled out over the GTA.

Good spot to consolidate technology here among all those flashing lights.

BMO already occupies multiple freshly renovated floors of 250 Yonge

And there is a skywalk connecting 250 Yonge to this new space, dating back to the days when 250 Yonge housed the Eaton's head office and the bridge connected it to the store next door. Anyone in an elevator in 250 Yonge, in either elevator bank, used to be able to use the bridge to get into the store.

Well with them having renewed their FCP leases and this, I guess the 1MM sqf of space they were seeking last year is off the table.
I don't know what teams they intend to move but I hope it includes the poor souls in B1, B2 levels at FCP. The meat market as we so lovingly called it.

That leaves TD still in a space crunch?

I guess this is who won the RFP. BMO had been shopping for space about this size across the GTA from my understanding - it will mostly consolidate a bunch of suburban offices I believe. 360k of office space isn't insignificant, this will be a big boost to the density of Yonge-Dundas, and is a big vote of confidence for the mid-downtown office market. There isn't a lot of new space constructed this far north.. though I guess this is technically a renovation.

Strikes me as too drab a design to be facing Yonge-Dundas Square.

I guess this is who won the RFP. BMO had been shopping for space about this size across the GTA from my understanding - it will mostly consolidate a bunch of suburban offices I believe. 360k of office space isn't insignificant, this will be a big boost to the density of Yonge-Dundas, and is a big vote of confidence for the mid-downtown office market. There isn't a lot of new space constructed this far north.. though I guess this is technically a renovation.
I hope they're considering shuttering that awful Meadowvale campus where they've been slowly moving non-core functions since its opening over 10 years ago. I know the customer contact centre is there, but man oh man is it in a transit desert. Even with direct highway access it took me over an hour and a half to drive there when we had some meetings. That was my first and last time, never again.

A little it of perspective on what the space previously looked like ;):

Top floor (open concept model):
View attachment 135920

Top floor facing Yonge-Dundas Square
*Interesting Note: The office of the former Sears CEO were located on the left side doorway around the corner from the TV.
View attachment 135921

Clearly they hired the same people to decorate their office as their stores. Explains much.

And here I was hoping BMO would pull a CIBC, but knowing BMO as well as I do... LOL I was being hopeful!

Well, there's always TD, their offices are scattered and drab would be an understatement. I'm not very familiar with Scotia so I cannot comment. RBC is fairly centralized between Plaza, WPP and Centre, with that tech building on Wellington.

And here I was hoping BMO would pull a CIBC, but knowing BMO as well as I do... LOL I was being hopeful!

Well, there's always TD, their offices are scattered and drab would be an understatement. I'm not very familiar with Scotia so I cannot comment. RBC is fairly centralized between Plaza, WPP and Centre, with that tech building on Wellington.

RBC has a large back office complex at Highway 401 and Mississauga Road - but at least it has better transit than BMO's office on the other side of the 401.

Strikes me as too drab a design to be facing Yonge-Dundas Square.

It's certainly not brilliant; but neither is anything else facing the square; though that's a terrible justification for mediocrity.

I think my take-away is more about the impact on Nordstrom.

It literally shadows the top of the store and makes it seem even less significant that it does now.

I said it was a mistake when they made the store seem almost invisible on the Dundas Mall side, insufficiently grand on the Yonge side, understated entrances from the main/south mall; and an under-sized interior that in particular lacked the focal-point centre escalator space of the old Eaton's.

It didn't and doesn't feel 'Flagship'.

Compare w/what they did at Pacific Centre in Vancouver (it's almost double the size), the DT store disappoints and its sales have reflected that.

This add-on would seem to preclude reclaiming any space going up; which I think is unfortunate, though in truth they are mostly, probably, better off reclaiming the Dundas Mall space in the fullness of time.

But the store would benefit from a skylight over the escalators.

Last edited:

Back