Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I hadn't noticed before but did they get rid of the bird sculpture? If so that seems like a massive mistake to me. (I guess its been a while since I have been in the Eaton Centre.)

What happened there @AlvinofDiaspar? I recall issues from awhile back but can't remember what they were. It certainly didn't last long...

Not the faintest idea. I vaguely recall issues (heat?) with the controller(?) system but there are no updates from CadFed. It's like their version of the Bloor Street Revitalization public art mirage.

AoD

These things are so flippin massive!
XcstSJT.jpg

KfFvd9L.jpg

Meanwhile, the CityTV display is broken with several pixel areas stuck on green or flickering. It's a good candidate for a new media tower and display but I question whether a tv station has the budget for those kinds of things in this day and age.

A round display like the one originally designed for the Olympic Spirit Centre (now CityTV) would really stand out in the competition for attention unfolding at Yonge-Dundas.

Display technology has actually caught up to where something like this could be done with off the shelf billboard display components without the expense of building a custom solution. Take the curved display at First Canadian Place on the corner of King/Bay and wrap the existing tower with it. Add a few spotlights on the roof as a beacon to the square and you've got something very close to what was envisioned for this building.

From Saturday afternoon:
DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

Nordstrom sign visible from College Park.

Attachments

• DSC_0418.jpg
    DSC_0418.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 1,322
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:
A round display like the one originally designed for the Olympic Spirit Centre (now CityTV) would really stand out in the competition for attention unfolding at Yonge-Dundas.

Display technology has actually caught up to where something like this could be done with off the shelf billboard display components without the expense of building a custom solution. Take the curved display at First Canadian Place on the corner of King/Bay and wrap the existing tower with it. Add a few spotlights on the roof as a beacon to the square and you've got something very close to what was envisioned for this building.

My understanding for the flat screen wasn't just costs but that a rounded screen wasn't allowed. Rogers should do something here.

I've walked through Nordstrom a couple of times now and it doesn't relly feel like it fits in well. The store seems relly small and cramped as they still have both banks of escalators from sears/Eatons. The columns seem more in the way then they did with sears/eatons and the aisles seem to be relly small compared to before.

Alos I took a pek though a gap in a construction door of the mystery location in the atrium and looks like a mems inside of it with no sign of who could be in it at all.

I've walked through Nordstrom a couple of times now and it doesn't relly feel like it fits in well. The store seems relly small and cramped as they still have both banks of escalators from sears/Eatons. The columns seem more in the way then they did with sears/eatons and the aisles seem to be relly small compared to before.

It's crowded now because it's a novelty. Soon enough, you'll get mostly only sort of clientele who will spend Nordstrom kind of money. It'll balance out.

Back