Toronto East Harbour Transit Hub | 14.35m | 1s | Metrolinx | Metrolinx

Agreed. I never understood the lack of escalators in Union, though I’m sure it’s some accessibility logic that doesn’t hold in practice. Full canopy coverage would be the one thing that they seriously need to reconsider on, no matter how plain.

Mx used to have escalators, I'm sure even a couple at Union, but they were also built into Pickering, Ajax and Whitby Stations.

They were later removed.

Mx gave assorted excuses, but most commonly referenced how hard salt was on them. Of course many GO Platforms no longer get salt, because they have snow melt systems built in; something Mx could also do to their bus platforms/entrance plazas and minimize any salt exposure.

Platforms with full roof systems won't generally be salted either.........

But Mx has never shown any willingness to reverse itself on this point. Notwithstanding the convenience and capacity advantages of escalators.

Last edited:
To be more serious, I'm deeply confused at the design philosophy of this station vs what has been submitted for Exhibition. It feels like Exhibition was done by the OL team within MX, and this has been done by the GO team. Like this is a generic GO station with an OL station strapped onto it, not an integrated station. Exhibition has a cross-platform transfer (on one platform), shared fare gates, extensive retail spaces, architectural design, and many other things this station completely lacks. Also worth noting the OL is barely even acknowledged in the renders, nor was this station released alongside all the other stations.

In every imaginable way, this design is in every way inferior to what is planned for Exhibition, and it's honestly baffling.

While the aesthetic downgrade is disappointing, the thing that really gets me is how abysmal the pedestrian experience is here. I've been to many stations that are architecturally bland, but deliver an interesting and enjoyable experience for the traveller.

Agree w/the above, but feel the need to add; @Ward8 you need to post more. We've been short on your input lately.

Here is the backup link to the East Harbour Transit Hub Architectural Plans document:

I am using my own personal cloud drive (Western Digital's My Cloud to be more specific), which has significantly more space than Google Drive (4TB for a one-time fee using my personal My Cloud drive vs. 15GB for free (and any more than that requires a subscription)).

I am keeping it up indefinitely.

Let me know what you think, @AlvinofDiaspar

Personally, I say that the architecture is a downgrade from the previous proposal. It looks cheap and tacky.

a few noteworthy things.
1, like others have mentioned, theres no escalators for GO platforms, OL will have them though.
2. this looks like another station built with current height GO platform boarding. The 2nd image shows a rough in for 445+300 in mm im assuming
3. The ontario line platform here seems to be completely enclosed. Ive seen the pictures for queen and the above ground stations north of the DVP, and those look open-air

1699711803836.png

1699711920571.png

now for some pictures....

The OL platform I think
1699712698083.png

Looking South:
1699712749877.png

South Entrance:

1699712778872.png

North entrance:
1699712825003.png

I would ask why this looks so different, why the bridge design isnt done at all for this one looks out of place
1699712892405.png

Under the Bridge:
1699712920156.png

Ontario Line concourse, I like the design of the art like a reminder of what it used to be
1699712943870.png

Go and OL concourse
1699712998411.png

1699713016382.png

And here shows the lack of level boarding with the rough-in instead of actually building level boarding
1699713070662.png

I am not great at understanding the engineer docs, does it depict new pedestrian/road connections across the Don? At the moment accessing the future station site from Corktown means an uncomfortable walk over the Eastern or Lake Shore bridge. A ped bridge next to the old Eastern Avenue bridge to connect the Don Trail to Sunlight Park road would likely put a lot more people within 10 minute walking distance.

I am not great at understanding the engineer docs, does it depict new pedestrian/road connections across the Don? At the moment accessing the future station site from Corktown means an uncomfortable walk over the Eastern or Lake Shore bridge. A ped bridge next to the old Eastern Avenue bridge to connect the Don Trail to Sunlight Park road would likely put a lot more people within 10 minute walking distance.
Thats out of scope for east harbour, though Im not sure if MX killed the pedestrian bridge that would sit beside the new bridge over the don.
It was in the designs at one point

I really do wish that GO would move toward level boarding.
Pretty much every recent station renovation has been designed to be adapted for level boarding. One of the few places where MX has actually been forward-thinking. The issue now is all the bilevel cars need to be refitted to have adjustable steps at the doors before they can convert any of the stations.

Back