Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

This is just sad. My own interest in this project has lessened for sure. The opportunity to integrate historical industrial grounds with a new community would've been incredible. Of course, I'm still used to the plan for this prior to the pandemic.
There will always be that "what could've been" factor for sure.

But then again since Cadillac Fairview is developing the site and we know how poor their track record is with "renovations", I wouldnt hold my breath that they would've done any justice to the building. Unless there was a full fledged historical designation in place, it probably would've been a rough go.

July 25th evening.

20230725_181337.jpg
20230725_181408.jpg

20230725_181406.jpg

Why not move there then?
I just moved there! Many people are moving there for that reason. Toronto is giving up on culture, historic and rustic architecture in favour of generic towers. Everybody on this forum knows that.

East Harbour needs to embrace the contemporary, but in a Copenhagen way... not a copy paste Canary Wharf way.

meh, I don't think this large factory is a good reference - it's an isolated large building - the built form of the distillery district is expanding - I think that's our equivalent (yes I know, it's not the same).

meh, I don't think this large factory is a good reference - it's an isolated large building - the built form of the distillery district is expanding - I think that's our equivalent (yes I know, it's not the same).
Many people on this thread feel either way - they either think this factory is an eyesore or it isn't. I think Berlin does repurposing of 'ugly' plants and abandoned derelict buildings very well - turning them into art spaces and such. I personally liked the soap factory building because I think it added an industrial character. I wish and hope Cadillac fairview proves me wrong and we can get some cool buildings as well as programming for this site.

edit: The more buildings we tear down for sanitized glass towers just signals an overall issue in the city throughout time of not preserving history in any way shape or form. I do understand we need to constantly change at the same time though.

Many people on this thread feel either way - they either think this factory is an eyesore or it isn't. I think Berlin does repurposing of 'ugly' plants and abandoned derelict buildings very well - turning them into art spaces and such. I personally liked the soap factory building because I think it added an industrial character. I wish and hope Cadillac fairview proves me wrong and we can get some cool buildings as well as programming for this site.

edit: The more buildings we tear down for sanitized glass towers just signals an overall issue in the city throughout time of not preserving history in any way shape or form. I do understand we need to constantly change at the same time though.

Sorry just to be clear, I also feel it's a large loss, and would much rather it be repurposed. My comment was more in the context of the usage of the factory as a comparison to griffintown, even if it were to be saved, it wouldn't create an area like that given its isolation.

I think there have been, unfortunately, many more egregious losses of historic buildings over the last decade, in prime locations.

I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about saving the factory. Sometimes parting with old is the right thing to do in order to build a new state-of-the-art community.

Either way, I'm more bummed about there being no immediate access to the East Harbour transit site from Canary Commons. Missed opportunity to link all of those Canary District condos to transit.

Back