Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

So......since @ChesterCopperpot 's discovery...............I had to wander down the rabbit hole too.

A couple of interesting notes from the Cover Letter:

1623073321506.png

1623073351389.png

I found this in the Flooding report:

1623073886205.png

That seems quite peculiar.......... I wonder if that's leftover from an earlier version.

This ownership map is interesting in light of the office square footage discussed in this report.

The proposal is for 9.5Mft2 of office in CF's development, but 17M within the Unilever precinct.

That requires 7.5Mft2 of office space go either on lands owned by Consumers Gas, or by the City of Toronto.

1623074042156.png

*square footage numbers corrected, thanks to @innsertnamehere for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what other streets would have a 40 m ROW so I can picture it? I imagine that's a bit less than say Spadina through Chinatown (2 tracks, four traffic lanes (plus some turning lanes), two parking lanes and narrow sidewalks)? But more than King through the Financial district (two traffic + streetcar lanes and mostly generous sidewalks)?

It's actually about 9.5 million sf of office on the Cadillac Fairview Lands, so about 7.5 million sf on the Enbridge and City of Toronto Lands.

I wouldn't take too much out of the 17m number, it's so long range. CF is going to do it's leasing for their portion now and long term the City of Toronto and Enbridge lands may redevelop with something different as it's so far off.

Does anyone know what other streets would have a 40 m ROW so I can picture it? I imagine that's a bit less than say Spadina through Chinatown (2 tracks, four traffic lanes (plus some turning lanes), two parking lanes and narrow sidewalks)? But more than King through the Financial district (two traffic + streetcar lanes and mostly generous sidewalks)?
Spadina has a 41m ROW north of Queen Street I believe for comparison.

Spadina, just south of Dundas is almost dead-on 40M.

ROW includes sidewalks, it's lot line to lot line.

Interesting. Even with a separated streetcar line and nice wide sidewalks, that would reserve a lot of room for cars.

I don't think we have a plan of what CF has in mind for the ROW; but I would expect it's 2 extra travel lanes, one each way.

The current plan for Broadview as I recall is one lane each way, plus the transit ROW and turning lanes. ( I think there were bike lanes too)

A key issue here is that Broadview's ROW north of Eastern is fixed, and doesn't really allow for 2 travel lanes, once LRT/Streetcar is factored in to the mix.

I'm inclined to side w/the City on this one.

Last edited:
I don't think we have a plan of What CF has in mind for the ROW; but I would expect it's 2 extra travel lanes, one each way.

The current plan for Broadview as I recall is one lane each way, plus the transit ROW and turning lanes. ( I think there were bike lanes too)

A key issue here is that Broadview's ROW north of Eastern is fixed, and doesn't really allow for 2 travel lanes, once LRT/Streetcar is factored in to the mix.

I'm inclined to side w/the City on this one.

Most of the traffic volume in here is going to access the DVP and Gardiner - it won't be going north of Eastern very much I imagine.

With 13,000,000sf of development for the CF Lands and 20+ million sf for the master plan area I can see the traffic need for 4 lanes on Broadview even with excellent modal shares too.

1 lane of vehicle traffic north of Eastern is fine but I can definitely see the traffic modelling showing a need for 2 lanes south of it to Lake Shore. I imagine most vehicles will be routing to the south to access the freeway interchanges.

You can hit 40m in width pretty quickly with decent sized sidewalks, dedicated streetcar lanes, separated cycle lanes, and 2 vehicle lanes.

Most of the traffic volume in here is going to access the DVP and Gardiner - it won't be going north of Eastern very much I imagine.

With 13,000,000sf of development I can see the traffic need for 4 lanes on Broadview even with excellent modal shares too.

Something I don't think the details are public of, which will impact all this, is the proposed replacement of the Eastern Avenue Bridge over the river.

A rather radical change is envisioned, including bike lanes and sidewalks and somehow modifying the relationship to Richmond to create something of a regular intersection.

That will obviously impact how connections are made and what volume Eastern Avenue can handle.

I assume this is all being factored in by CF and the City behind the scenes.

From the project list for the Lower Don:

1623075953981.png

Something I don't think the details are public of, which will impact all this, is the proposed replacement of the Eastern Avenue Bridge over the river.

A rather radical change is envisioned, including bike lanes and sidewalks and somehow modifying the relationship to Richmond to create something of a regular intersection.

We take our kiddie to a daycare just off Eastern in Leslieville, and the Eastern bridge is a nightmare either on a bike or with a stroller. Good riddance! Our options are to take the King/Queen bridge and fight streetcars and temporary patios (which isn't as bad as it sounds) or go all the way to the Lake Shore and use the trail.

I looked at the transportation memo, which includes the functional street plan. Broadview is in fact not going to be 4 lanes - it will have a dedicated left and very large dedicated right turn lane southbound at Lake Shore though, as well as a scattering of other dedicated turn lanes elsewhere.

The design notably includes a protected intersection for cyclists at East Harbour Boulevard and Broadview.

broadview.jpg

Attachments

• broadview.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Shocking if it is, considering there will be a huge station there.
Not really shocking, just disappointing. As that looked over ambitious the way the rail deck park looked...begging the question who and what was going to fund that. The render over on the previous page suggests it got replaced with a more tame roof cover.

Source: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...lac-fairview-o-m-a.18405/page-53#post-1699227

Note: The Star article attached to this is paywalled to me, so I might be missing the context of said render.

Back