Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

Interesting,truecondos are reporting that this one will be launching soon as "Dundas Square Gardens", 45 storeys, 767 units

Yup, that's the name. Thread title changed.

There is a big ad in the star today (A section) that tries to make the building look like it is right on Dundas Square.

There is a big ad in the star today (A section) that tries to make the building look like it is right on Dundas Square.

Being 550 meters or 6 minutes walking distance from Dundas Square is probably considered better than right on the often noisy Dundas Square by most people.

Just to the east, there have long been rumours that Fillmore's and its adjacent public parking lot are available for redevelopment, at the right price. That said, George Street will likely always be the worst street in the city.

interesting article by Robyn Doolittle on the nabe, from 2011:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/04/22/dundassherbourne_poised_for_a_surprising_rebirth.html

also, from 2009:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/09/...beginning_for_the_dundas-sherbourne_corridor/

and, from 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ae96Qm70BY

reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/1kgv4r/is_dundas_and_sherbourne_still_a_pretty_bad_area/

I'm all for being an urban pioneer; and I totally agree that mixed-income works the best. The problem with some of the new developments in downtown east, however, is that new condo dwellers just take their cars or the TTC to better areas. Their condo units merely become (cheaper) living spaces. The Star article above notes this, and I see it all the time here.

The City and developers are on the right track, but it's going to be a slow process. As a big guy I don't worry about myself and my own safety, but I do ask myself, would I want my mother or sister or daughter walking around in some of these areas? The answer for me is "no".

I'm all for being an urban pioneer; and I totally agree that mixed-income works the best. The problem with some of the new developments in downtown east, however, is that new condo dwellers just take their cars or the TTC to better areas. Their condo units merely become (cheaper) living spaces. The Star article above notes this, and I see it all the time here.

I wouldn't worry about that.
When middle income people move in, retailers follow since there is a market there. There will be cafes, restaurants, doctor's office, grocery stores to meet the demand. Have you noticed the difference on Dundas east recently? I was eating ramen at Dundas/Church last night and the place was packed with people with a long line for a $15 bowl of ramen. Business follow the market, and they never care if a particular area is considered "good" or not.

Plus, I don't know where "cheaper living spaces" come from. Do we have evidence suggesting that prices of Core, Pace, Yonge/Rich, Spire, and this project are significantly "cheaper" than westside? They are not cheap at all.

2014_01_31_02_56_50_dundas_square_gardens_hero_night.jpg

2014_01_31_05_02_42_dundas_square_gardens_street_view.jpg

Looks like they put in as much effort designing this as they did portraying the Toronto skyline in an accurate manner, in the top rendering.

That media tower at Yonge & Dundas really stands out without the Eaton Centre as a backdrop.

Last edited:
The minute someone synthesizes glowing 'rendercladding', they will probably make a fortune.

At the very least, with Pace creeping upwards across the street, the new student residence planned and everything else adjacent being a two-or-so-storey place of shaky repute (well, except for that RCMP-hotel) this will bring a few drops of gleaming, glassy dollars into the desert. Jarvis could use the foot traffic, the view from Victoria will benefit from having a lit-up tower at hand, and, well, let's face it - the rescue of Dundas and Sherbourne would be a benefit for all downtown. The dense concentration of flop-housing stock, shelters, detoxes, subsidized housing and rooming warrens here guarantees that there'll be plenty of disparate income levels guaranteeing curious diversities for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Back