Toronto Downsview West District | ?m | ?s | CLC

turini2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Downsview West District is a 30 hectare (74 acre) property bordered by Sheppard Avenue West to the west and north, the Barrie GO Train line to the east, and Carl Hall Road to the south. I've crudely marked Downsview Park station on the photo below. The site is owned by Canada Lands Company, who are working with the city and id8Downsview on the wider vision for Downsview.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.24.35.png

Canada Lands Company own the eastern parcel of Downsview next to Sheppard West TTC (thread here [no thread yet?]) as well as the land west of Sheppard Ave in the photo above (thread here). The Bombardier site itself is being redeveloped by id8Downsview (thread here).

Generally speaking, they're proposing high density housing and employment (35-60 storeys centred on the subway station, 8-14 storeys elsewhere), as well as new parkland, reuse of the 40 Carl Hall Road building, and a new east-west street crossing the Barrie GO Line.

Last edited:
Community consultation began in 2022, building on previous work prior to the Bombardier site announcing its closure, and the entire id8Downsview consultation process.
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.33.26.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.42.41.png

The 2022 consultation considered a substantial uplift in density compared to previous plans - centred on the TTC & GO station while also reusing the 40 Carl Hall Road building. It also considered a new east-west street over the Barrie GO line.

The 2023 consultation expanded on the proposals, with four character areas, more concrete ideas for parkland and urban realm, street network and density (2.8 FSI, 35-60 storeys centred on the subway station, 8-14 storeys elsewhere), retention of the Fire Hall and parts of the 40 Carl Hall Road building. Next steps will be municipal approval by the city in spring 2024, apparently.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.47.22.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.47.01.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.46.52.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.47.09.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 08.51.12.png

@turini2 You've always seemed a 'morning person' to me. The combo of encountering you most often in the first 1/2 of the day, along w/your Avatar, has imparted that.

But even by your standards, this seems early.

To me.........its 4am.

@turini2 You've always seemed a 'morning person' to me. The combo of encountering you most often in the first 1/2 of the day, along w/your Avatar, has imparted that.

But even by your standards, this seems early.

To me.........its 4am.
I am in London! My job allows me to work flexibly, so I get a few hours of "me morning time" before starting at 10am. :D

I am in London! My job allows me to work flexibly, so I get a few hours of "me morning time" before starting at 10am. :D

I recall knowing you were across the pond....... but still not this early to posting, most days. (I don't think)

Cool! If you don't mind me asking where does your interest in Toronto development come from?
Not at all! I'm an urban planner by trade in London - specifically, I write planning policy. I did a exchange year at TMU in 2012/13, really enjoyed my time living in Toronto, and I have strong connections to friends in the GTHA. Been back several times (including for months at a time!), but paying attention to what's going on helps maintain the connection.

From a selfish perspective, I can't speak that openly on development in my neck of the woods - but I can express my thoughts on a place where I have no skin in the game!

Not at all! I'm an urban planner by trade in London - specifically, I write planning policy. I did a exchange year at TMU in 2012/13, really enjoyed my time living in Toronto, and I have strong connections to friends in the GTHA. Been back several times (including for months at a time!), but paying attention to what's going on helps maintain the connection.

From a selfish perspective, I can't speak that openly on development in my neck of the woods - but I can express my thoughts on a place where I have no skin in the game!
That’s really cool mate. Thanks for sharing. For all that we complain, there are a lot of positives about Toronto. Although, London is lovely and probably my next move if I can swing it XD

Community consultation began in 2022, building on previous work prior to the Bombardier site announcing its closure, and the entire id8Downsview consultation process. View attachment 538489View attachment 538490

The 2022 consultation considered a substantial uplift in density compared to previous plans - centred on the TTC & GO station while also reusing the 40 Carl Hall Road building. It also considered a new east-west street over the Barrie GO line.

The 2023 consultation expanded on the proposals, with four character areas, more concrete ideas for parkland and urban realm, street network and density (2.8 FSI, 35-60 storeys centred on the subway station, 8-14 storeys elsewhere), retention of the Fire Hall and parts of the 40 Carl Hall Road building. Next steps will be municipal approval by the city in spring 2024, apparently.

View attachment 538491View attachment 538492View attachment 538493View attachment 538494View attachment 538495
"low rise existing buildings add character and variety", which refers to two massive ugly structures eating up tons of valuable real estate this near to a subway/GO train station, might be the dumbest thing I've seen from governments in the context of a housing crisis...and they're clearing quite a high bar on this one....how do people not get held accountable for this nonsense...there's taxes being payed for this stupidity to be uttered

"low rise existing buildings add character and variety", which refers to two massive ugly structures eating up tons of valuable real estate this near to a subway/GO train station, might be the dumbest thing I've seen from governments in the context of a housing crisis...and they're clearing quite a high bar on this one....how do people not get held accountable for this nonsense...there's taxes being payed for this stupidity to be uttered
Yeah I agree, I feel like cursing. This makes ZERO sense. Everyone coming to these meetings for the most part have been asking why density isn't being increased.

Back