Mississauga Dixie Outlet Mall Redevelopment | 90.2m | 25s | Slate | Giannone Petricone

Interesting to me that they aren't going for a full master plan redevelopment of the entire site, to be honest.

But also - this is a terrible site for transit. Not a prime intensification target at all.

Interesting to me that they aren't going for a full master plan redevelopment of the entire site, to be honest.

But also - this is a terrible site for transit. Not a prime intensification target at all.
If this was Europe, Dixie would have an LRT from Lakeshore to at least Eglinton, but alas North America. A bit off topic but with all the new development down at the lake there, I wonder how far fetched that idea actually is now

If this was Europe, Dixie would have an LRT from Lakeshore to at least Eglinton, but alas North America. A bit off topic but with all the new development down at the lake there, I wonder how far fetched that idea actually is now
About 20-30 years down the road since the ridership isn't there even for 10 minute bus service 7 days a week today. Bulk of the ridership is north of Eglinton. Ridership from this development will be going to/from the Long Branch GO Station.

@ProjectEnd first posted a couple of these renders, but since @Lake Ontario gave us the application link, I thought I'd post them again, and any others I could dig up at the largest sensible size/resolution:

1674702352190.png

1674702406853.png

1674702452144.png

1674702506399.png

1674702538049.png

1674702617223.png

1674702642622.png

1674702735403.png

Comments: While there is something to like here, and in some respects, the proposal constitutes a real improvement over existing, I have deep reservation about this as proposed.

1) The density is all sited away from public transit. Surely it would make sense to put any density up against Dixie first.

2) I would like a Block Context Plan, I did not see one. how does this integrate into a future vision for this site.

3) The parkland is non-functional and hidden from the view of the broader neighbourhood, don't like it.

Better is not only possible here, it ought to be necessary.

FWIW, I do like the use of colour and the general level of density and scale. Its just in the wrong place on the property; and the park needs to be better configured.

Last edited:

It shouldn’t be, though. It’s a short trip to Long Branch GO and to Sherway Gardens, but only if Mississauga Transit improved the 4 and the 5 to be much more frequent. Perhaps the development - and the nearby Lakeview redevelopment - will trigger some service upgrades.

As for the density placement, Route 5 Dixie does take that bit of South Service Road over to Ogden before heading down to Lakeshore. It’s because Ogden has more riders than the golf course on Dixie.

It shouldn’t be, though. It’s a short trip to Long Branch GO and to Sherway Gardens, but only if Mississauga Transit improved the 4 and the 5 to be much more frequent. Perhaps the development - and the nearby Lakeview redevelopment - will trigger some service upgrades.

As for the density placement, Route 5 Dixie does take that bit of South Service Road over to Ogden before heading down to Lakeshore. It’s because Ogden has more riders than the golf course on Dixie.
*cough* Dixie LRT *cough* please *cough cough* we beg *cough*

It didn't feel that way at all to me when I was there Saturday. I even mentioned to my wife how packed the place was. If anything, I'd say sherway gardens is falling behind.

Sq One seemed very busy to me when I was last there in Nov. A bit melodramatic to call it a dying mall for not measuring up to one of the busiest malls in NA (Eaton Centre) or the distinctly bougie Yorkdale.
You misssissauga people have low standards. Get out to Oakville (civilization) much?

I don't consider malls to be the height of civilization.

I was last at Oakville Place... 7 or 8 years ago? It seemed pretty unremarkable to me then.

Back