Toronto Discovery at Concord Park Place | ?m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

Re: Snark Avenue

Actually parking requirements are primarily determined by the Ontario Building Code. For the average high rise apartment this will translate into roughly .75 - 1 parking spaces per unit.

Parking requirements differ widely from municipality to municipality....I've never once heard that the OBC has any of control over this (I just checked both Part 9 and Part 3 and there is no reference whatsoever to parking requirements) - the OBC would refer to how to construct the structure itself, but it doesn't refer to how many spots are required per unit or the size of the spots themselves - those requirements are all "policy" which municipalities set. The OBC doesn't refer to policy very often.

The Building Code changes for this year have already been determined (they were released on June 28th), the new edition of the Code is written in an objective based format with over 700 technical changes and come into effect Dec 31, 2006 (some energy efficient measures are being phased in and won't come into effect until Dec 31, 2008 and Dec 31, 2011). The MMAH Building branch is already out in the field teaching various stakeholders all the ins and outs of the new code.

Mike,

Your right. That was a big mistake on my part which I realized shortly after posting (you can tell that beyond the course I took on the OBC a few years back I haven't looked at since except on a few occasions).

I knew that they were going to be using an objective based format but I never realized that they included so many technical changes. Somehow I see myself devoting several weekends of class time in the near future and reaquainting myself with the OBC.

Tower plan alarms critics
City intensifying transit corridor, but some residents near Sheppard line disagree

Nov. 28, 2006. 06:21 AM
PAUL MOLONEY
CITY HALL BUREAU
www.thestar.com

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Put more buildings on Toronto's main streets to make room for hundreds of thousands of new residents. In the process you would cut urban sprawl and maximize use of public transit.

But implementing the city's master plan is causing concern.

Several enormous projects underway or proposed along the Sheppard subway line in North York demonstrate the plan in action. And not everyone is happy about the construction cranes populating the Sheppard corridor.

Some fear the trend will spread across other parts of the city as Toronto seeks to intensify usage of other main streets from Scarborough to Etobicoke.

Former chief Toronto planner Paul Bedford downplays any concerns.

"Generally the strategy in the official plan is to encourage development where the transportation exists," he said. "On Sheppard, the strategy obviously is to develop there, given the subway. You don't build a subway and keep two-storey buildings on Sheppard."

Passed this year, the city's official plan was the first post-amalgamation reform of the way the city should be designed.

"The development is going where it fits," said Councillor Brian Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest). "You build bigger densities there and when you go to Kingston Rd. or Avenue Rd. or Wilson Ave. you build on a scale that complements a community and doesn't destroy it."

Ashton said council was upset with North York a few years ago because intensification wasn't taking place. "Now we're getting buildings in places that are well-suited for them, and that increases our assessment base."

The first wave of North York development was along Yonge St. from Highway 401 north to Finch Ave. Spurred by the opening of the $933 million Sheppard subway line four years ago, the second and newest wave is along Sheppard from Yonge St. to Leslie St.

It's supposed to be a haven for transit users, but many new residents rely on their cars just as much as other Torontonians, said Councillor John Filion (Ward 23, Willowdale).

"I'd sure like somebody to tell me where the traffic's going to go," Filion said. "We've already got gridlock at the peak hours in both the morning and afternoon. I don't know what stage is worse than gridlock. I guess quagmire."

Filion has been a critic of the development plans, first pushed by former North York Mayor Mel Lastman, ever since he was first elected as a councillor 15 years ago.

"Why does somebody buy at Yonge and the 401? A few might buy because it's close to the subway; most buy because it's close to the 401 and they're working in Mississauga or Scarborough."

The centrepiece of the North York development is the site of the old Canadian Tire warehouse, near the IKEA store, visible to motorists driving westbound on Highway 401 between Leslie and Bayview Ave.

The giant warehouse is soon to be knocked down to make way for 3,974 housing units. The 16-hectare property was recently purchased for $149.7 million by Concord Adex Investments, the same people building condo towers in the downtown railway lands west of Rogers Centre.

"This is the biggest residential project in the history of North York," said Dennis Au Yeung, vice-president and chief financial officer for Concord Adex.

The development, approved by city council in late 2002, was comprehensively planned with tall buildings sited along the 401 side and shorter buildings along Sheppard, said Councillor David Shiner, who represents the area.

Commitments include $5.2 million from the developer toward the cost of a community centre, and setting aside 3.4 hectares for the community centre, a park, playgrounds and future school and library sites, said Shiner (Ward 24, Willowdale).

"We spent two years on charettes and working groups with the community and area businesses to establish the layout of the buildings," Shiner said.

Farther east, also south of Sheppard but closer to Yonge St., is a proposal for 1,195 units in five towers ranging from 15 to 21 storeys, plus townhouses on a 3.9-hectare site off Oakburn Cres. The proposal by K & G Oakburn Apartments began a 10-day hearing yesterday before the Ontario Municipal Board.

And at the southeast corner of Yonge and Sheppard, Willowdale Plaza would be razed in favour of two towers, 37 and 45 storeys, and a five-store retail/residential block with a total of 825 units under a proposal for the 1.5-hectare site by condominium developer Tridel.

In all, the three projects would bring some 6,000 units with almost 11,000 residents.

"I think the development is a positive," said Ashton. "With the 401 on one side and the Sheppard subway on the other, you've got a whole strip of land. If you're going to intensify, that's the Garden of Eden."

Some residents, however, appear overwhelmed. Bernie Morton, the past president of the 5,000-member Avondale Community Condominium Association, says the area is clogged with rush-hour traffic.

The association, whose members live in condo towers and townhouses near Yonge and 401, opposes the Oakburn project to the east due to traffic, Morton said.

"The Oakburn project is not an ugly project at all — there's been some creative thought that's gone into it — but our main concern is traffic," he said. "Where are the cars going to go when it's already bottlenecked?"

The planners, meanwhile, emphasize that the plans were finalized after extensive analysis of the road and transit system."That's one of the things the North York Centre plan does extremely well," said planner Paul Byrne. "Densities assigned to the blocks and parcels were all worked out from a transportation capacity point of view."

The area is blessed with transit, said Victoria Witkowski, transportation planning manager for the North York District. Most of the new residents along Yonge St. are within a 10-minute walk of one of three subway stations, Finch, North York Centre and Sheppard on the Yonge line, Witkowski said.

The same will be true for the new people moving into the Canadian Tire site, who will be able to access either the Leslie or Bessarion stations on the Sheppard line, she said.

"From a transit perspective, that's phenomenal. The additional people are coming here because the subway's here, because we have such good transit available to them."

She conceded that road capacity is an issue. However, help is on the way. The city plans eventually to extend Anndale Dr. to Yonge St., providing a new route for residents south and east of the Yonge and Sheppard intersection.

"The Anndale link would take pressure off Avondale, where people are having a hard time getting out to Yonge St.," she said.

Filion doesn't buy it.

"It's a huge mess," he said. "It would be different if three-quarters of the new people were taking public transit, but that's not happening and it's never going to happen."
---------------------------------
The Sheppard corridor is going to look quite different in the next 10 years. There are plans for a massive redevelopment further east at Don Mills (Parkwoods Village) and on the other side of the 404 at Heron Hills (former Monarch HQ). Even with the subway close by, there needs to be some major roadwork to keep traffic flowing. I think most people who buy in this area will be driving first and using transit second.

The association, whose members live in condo towers and townhouses near Yonge and 401, opposes the Oakburn project to the east due to traffic, Morton said.

When I read this article, it made me laugh. The area is crippled with traffic but I don't necessarily think that is a bad idea. If you keep on building highrises and the traffic becomes chronic/crippling, thats the only way in my opinion for residents in this area to move towards public transit. In this case, public transit is more than adequate. If people are commutting to Mississauga or Oakvile or where ever by car, living at Yonge &401, where traffic always has bottlenecked on the highway, isn't the smartest thing.

Some residents, however, appear overwhelmed. Bernie Morton, the past president of the 5,000-member Avondale Community Condominium Association, says the area is clogged with rush-hour traffic.

People living in glass towers...

I don't understand placing the high-rises along the 401 and shorter buildings closer to Sheppard when the transportation is on Sheppard. It might make sense in that there is pandering to homeowners over height but as far as intelligent city planning it makes no sense.

It would be nice to create some sort of rapid transit scheme a a la VIVA along the 401, with easy loading from major concessions, though. If there are really a lot of folks who moved near the 401 to get to Mississauga or Oakville or wherever, there'd be a ridership for it.

"I don't understand placing the high-rises along the 401 and shorter buildings closer to Sheppard when the transportation is on Sheppard. It might make sense in that there is pandering to homeowners over height but as far as intelligent city planning it makes no sense."

Sheppard is a designated 'Avenue' so lowrise towers there makes sense, but surely they wouldn't keep forcing 8 storey buildings right on Sheppard when behind them are 30 storey buildings...

^ Yes, but even though it is designated as such, it doesn't feel like an urban grand avenue, more of a thruway. But, if the whole area surronding sheppard was filled with 8floor midrises, this also would create a dense corridor around the subway route. But unfortunately, right now you have a mix of new highrises and bungalow subdivisions. Something along the lines of post ww2 (something to do with army - I can't remember, someone explained it to me) housing.

Canadian Tire Lands

NEW DIGS: LAND SALES

Developers ride the subway to opportunity station
Sale of Canadian Tire lands driven by proximity to Sheppard subway line
DEREK RAYMAKER

For decades, the corner of Sheppard Avenue and Leslie Street was a drab intersection dominated by the din of the automobile and the grim pavement of parking lots the size of lakes.

North of Sheppard, off the main arteries, were the cul-de-sacs from the first wave of postwar housing expansion nestled among schools and parks. The intersection itself was notable only because it was near Toronto's only IKEA store, until another mammoth store opened in Etobicoke eight years ago.

About that time, the Sheppard subway line was under construction. When it was completed in 2002, the line was roundly criticized as an expensive white elephant rammed down the throat of Toronto taxpayers by the North York-centric Toronto mayor, Mel Lastman. Ridership numbers were weak and the North York commuters remained tied to their cars.

But behind the scenes, land-assembly teams had been quietly building up their holdings on behalf of developers aiming to populate the subway line with shiny new condo towers. It started west of Bayview Avenue, with New York Towers, a six-phase development by Daniels Corp. across the street from the upscale Bayview Village shopping centre. The last of these buildings, the Rockefeller, was completed in 2006.

Print Edition - Section Front
Enlarge Image

But it hasn't stopped there. In fact, the Bayview projects are small potatoes compared with those planned for Sheppard and Leslie.

In October, Concord Adex Investments Ltd. of Vancouver, part of Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing's property empire, purchased about 40 acres of land from Canadian Tire Corp., which operated a distribution centre near the southwestern corner of Sheppard and Leslie, for $149.7-million.

Concord -- developer of the ring of high-rises along Vancouver's False Creek as well as CityPlace on Toronto's railway lands -- is planning to build 20 towers with nearly 4,000 units at the new site.

"It's very significant that this developer would make their next big move here," said Barry Lyon, president of the marketing firm N. Barry Lyon Consultants. Mr. Lyon suggested that the massive development will tap into the growing Asian market.

It's no secret that subway lines beget high-density housing developments, especially in Toronto, but the Sheppard corridor is in for a complete transformation since most of its current structures consist of two- or three-storey commercial buildings or strip malls, abutted by neighbourhoods with detached homes.

Mr. Lyon says 9,995 new condominium suites along the Sheppard corridor will be put on the market this year.

The Sheppard and Leslie land purchase certainly brought attention to the area as a future condo canyon, but there were other significant land purchases in the last half of 2006 that serve as portents of new development to come.

In the 905 district, Daniels purchased 12 acres of land in an area of Newmarket called Madeline Heights for $4-million last August. The company intends to develop a medium-density community within two years.

In November, Galnova Developments and Bragal Developments purchased 139 acres on McGillivray Road, west of Highway 27, for $19-million. The type of development the two purchasers intend to pursue isn't known yet, but it will likely have a large low-rise component.

Also in Vaughan, Fernbrook Homes purchased 16 acres near Rutherford Road and Bathurst Street for slightly more than $16.6-million in July. It plans to launch a new low-rise community within the next three years.

On the east side of Toronto, Fallingbrook Homes purchased two adjacent properties at 1208 and 1210 Kingston Road in May for $2,180,000, intending to build a high-rise development.

Downtown, Aspen Ridge Homes bought two addresses on Richmond Street at University Avenue for $27-million in July, which will be the home of an as-yet-unnamed high-rise. It will be the second major urban high-rise for Aspen Ridge, which has traditionally focused on suburban low-rise projects. It launched Vu at Adelaide at Jarvis street last year.

In July, Cresford Developments bought 1815 Yonge St., at Eglinton Avenue, for $7.4-million. It intends to build a high-rise there.

draymaker@globeandmail.com

On the east side of Toronto, Fallingbrook Homes purchased two adjacent properties at 1208 and 1210 Kingston Road in May for $2,180,000, intending to build a high-rise development.

I guess a 6 storey building close to The Beach would constitute a highrise

Downtown, Aspen Ridge Homes bought two addresses on Richmond Street at University Avenue for $27-million in July, which will be the home of an as-yet-unnamed high-rise. It will be the second major urban high-rise for Aspen Ridge, which has traditionally focused on suburban low-rise projects. It launched Vu at Adelaide at Jarvis street last year.

but who would want to live next door to University Plaza

Maybe if Parkin's Sun Life undergoes a condo conversion, they would...

"Mr. Lyon says 9,995 new condominium suites along the Sheppard corridor will be put on the market this year."

Keanu: "Whoa..."

"When it was completed in 2002, the line was roundly criticized as an expensive white elephant rammed down the throat of Toronto taxpayers by the North York-centric Toronto mayor, Mel Lastman. Ridership numbers were weak and the North York commuters remained tied to their cars."

Blah, blah, blah...as usual, the line is bashed without mention of the fact that it was supposed to be three times as long as what was built.

"In the 905 district, Daniels purchased 12 acres of land in an area of Newmarket called Madeline Heights for $4-million last August."

Newmarket is almost out of land...I guess Queensville and Bradford are preparing for genocide against their farms.

Does anyone have a map, picture of diagram of this site or any other sites along the Sheppard East corridor? If so I'd appreciate you posting them here. It would be very helpful for some research.

Thanks!

Concord Adex North / Canadian Tire Lands

News Release

via Spacing Wire

Name the condo contest this Thursday. Does someone know what the 42 acres is? Is it just the L-shaped building at 1001 Sheppard E. Or is it also the other building with parking lot in front.

(Sorry if this is posted in one of the other areas)

Back