Toronto Discovery at Concord Park Place | ?m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

When I bought my unit, the salesperson said that they "eventually" will have a direct connection to the subway, I told him this is quite important in my decision, as I think a direct connection adds a lot of value to the property. How they are going to do it I don't know, I think I recall them saying it had something to do with Canadian Tire? But that doesn't make sense? I for one will be keeping a close eye on the parking, I do NOT want to loop 4 times down into the parking lot daily. Two possible entrances, I really hope that means it will be easy to get in and out. I am going to have to check to see what they are doing in that plot of dirt right next to the parking lot, that is the part that looked the most unfinished. At first I didn't love the tan base with the townhomes but now it sort of makes sense with the dual colour scheme. There is a lot to be said about simple is the best.

Asiancolossus: You are right. Traffic will be insane. I bought a parking spot but I work downtown so from Monday to Friday, I can leave my car snuggled underground and hop on the Leslie subway station. I heard there will be 4 levels of underground parking. It will be interesting to see how they assign the parking lots. I'm definitely not looking to drive up and down 4 levels to park.

Wildymyst: LOL.. we got to be careful not to offend anyone who will be buying into The Leslie. But I totally agree that the designated land area should be a part of the massive Concord territory. Still haven't heard how they will try to accomodate us with a direct entrance to the subway station.

By the way, I just past by the site today around 8 a.m. Workers and trucks were already on the grounds. Looks like things are really picking up. I noticed more flower pots were being designed on the property on Provest Dr. These next 6 to 7 months will be quite interesting to watch this project be completed.

@a-kau

I'm not attacking your choice of condominium, I'm just stating how horribly designed these towers are (from the outside at least). If it was in my price range and in the area I was looking in, I wouldn't say no either if it made sense, but that wouldn't stop me from cringing every time I stepped out of the front door and looked up.

This was just a lack of taste or a lack of effort on behalf of the builders/architects and regardless of the price of the units, I don't think a disguised mechanical roof would have moved the price around. Aria essentially has their mechanical boxes exposed, but they really do make them part of the design with the rest of the building creeping up around them, ensconcing them to the point of near invisibility.

Flemingdon Park has identical architecture to Park Place so far. Box buildings with smaller boxes on top for mechanicals.

The dichromatic glass on the Park Place towers is also horrendous, but I'm too preoccupied with the mechanical boxes to care too much.

Last edited:
I've looked at the pictures and I just say that Concord didn't even try with these buildings. Just bland, boring boxes. How typical and predictable. I truly regret Concord ever coming to this city and giving us City Place and now these pieces of garbage. A few towers stand out in City Place but it's just repetition with these guys. No variety at all.

tkip, I respect the opinions of those who think these buildings are "bland", from my perspective though, if I'm going to live in it, I'd rather take bland and conservative, then "edgy and different". I think the novelty of something that stands out would be interesting at first and I'd be the first to brag how proud I am that it doesn't look like a standard box. But I would definitely get tired of the novelty. That being said, yes, I agree, its not the most exciting building. I do think its decent though. But its just my opinion. I think condo design is one of those areas where a lot of people can have different opinions and none of these opinions should be considered to be "wrong"

I've looked at the pictures and I just say that Concord didn't even try with these buildings. Just bland, boring boxes. How typical and predictable. I truly regret Concord ever coming to this city and giving us City Place and now these pieces of garbage. A few towers stand out in City Place but it's just repetition with these guys. No variety at all.

It's not the dreariness of the condo designs that should worry anyone as that is just esthetics. The bigger problem will be how to manage the suffocating gridlock that will lock that community in. It is locked in by the 401 and Sheppard and Leslie. With over 20 towers coming, getting around the area will be a challenge. It is not city place where the majority walk or take transit downtown. Up here only a small minority who will work downtown will take the subway. The rest will drive as there is not much work within walking distance except the IKEA.

It's not the dreariness of the condo designs that should worry anyone as that is just esthetics. The bigger problem will be how to manage the suffocating gridlock that will lock that community in. It is locked in by the 401 and Sheppard and Leslie. With over 20 towers coming, getting around the area will be a challenge. It is not city place where the majority walk or take transit downtown. Up here only a small minority who will work downtown will take the subway. The rest will drive as there is not much work within walking distance except the IKEA.

Very true. Although I imagine the situation will be somewhat similar to the Bayview/Sheppard Daniel's condos such as Rean Dr., Barberry Pl. and Kenaston Gardens. I have talked to friends and relatives who have lived there for awhile and they have told me getting out of the small streets and into Bayview usually take 3-5 mins during rush hour in the morning.

With that being said, there WILL be more condos in the ParkPlace project than the Bayview/Sheppard area so I think the situation will be worse as well but as of right now, I count 3 different exits from the project (Old Leslie, Esther Shiner and Provost), and there will probably be one more near Bessarion when the community will be all said and done with, so in comparison to 3 exits for Bayview/Sheppard area condos vs 4 exits for ParkPlace, I am pretty sure we can tell that the congestion levels will be quite busy but I am hoping it will not add more than 5-10 minutes during rush hour but that just might be me being overly optimistic.

The dreariness is a major concern because this development is huge and buildings by nature are around for a long time. The issue is crucial in terms of building an attractive city that presents itself well. Transportation is critical too, though the TTC will prove to be an option for people commuting to places other than downtown like Scarborough and midtown for work and for other sorts of trips. More mixed-use development could have helped the situation out too.

Pretty selfish to not care about the aesthetics of an entire new neighbourhood. But I guess it speaks to why developers are producing half ass designed buildings. There's a large cross section of people who couldn't give a **** what the thing looks like as long as it's in the right location and is cheap. Similar to my mother's neighbour down the street who never cuts their grass or fixes the broken fence. Some people just don't care about what their property brings to the community.

That's my rant...no need to reply cuz I'm not going to have a back and forth with anyone.

well, i guess when i win the lottery or strike it rich, i won't have to disappoint TheKingEast and can stop being a selfish a** "who couldn't give a ****" by moving into super-awesome chic condos that will win international awards and be the gem of Toronto's skyline!! I will never again then be as one of the few people that will have to watch my budget anymore!! I will buy I want, where I want it and when I want it!! All because I don't WANT to be selfish anymore!!

Horraay!!

The dreariness is a major concern because this development is huge and buildings by nature are around for a long time. The issue is crucial in terms of building an attractive city that presents itself well. Transportation is critical too, though the TTC will prove to be an option for people commuting to places other than downtown like Scarborough and midtown for work and for other sorts of trips. More mixed-use development could have helped the situation out too.

Actually, I would have liked to see more mixed-used development as well. Since there is going to be such a big population moving into this planned community, it would've been nice to see some more shops being incorporated into the layout but so far, all I see is Spot and starbucks. Not exactly an all-star lineup.

Good point on TTC though. That was one of the major factors for me (and probably a lot of young people I saw at the sales event) since I bus to work during the day and subway downtown for night school. This development is ideal for university students since it gives us easy access to public transit. Come to think of it, it might eventually replace the yonge/sheppard and yonge/finch area for university/international students as the defacto place to rent since rent might be cheaper at ParkPlace than those areas since there will be more supply.

well, i guess when i win the lottery or strike it rich, i won't have to disappoint TheKingEast and can stop being a selfish a** "who couldn't give a ****" by moving into super-awesome chic condos that will win international awards and be the gem of Toronto's skyline!! I will never again then be as one of the few people that will have to watch my budget anymore!! I will buy I want, where I want it and when I want it!! All because I don't WANT to be selfish anymore!!

Horraay!!

It has nothing to do with striking it rich...good grief. Go look at some of the government housing they're building these days and come tell me that you have to "strike it rich" to live in a nicely designed building.

alright, then I challenge you to name me a government housing building that is nicely designed as well as offer a comparable range of amenities, convenience of location (close to subway and major arteries through toronto), the future development of the surrounding area (there will be schools and community centre in the area) and of course, area needs to be safe as well.

Ugly designs, mechanical boxes, convenient location, future congested traffic, etc. Whether good or negative feedback, I support it all. Whatever it takes to get people to start talking about these buildings. Yes, I bought a unit into Park Place and I'm anxiously waiting to see the end result.

I must say that I enjoy reading through this forum and hearing other opinions and thoughts. The power of information-sharing is a wonderful thing. I would think that if we were all praising these buildings and it was just one positive comment after the other, over time, I would get bored of reading it. In a twisted way, I want to hear more critical and constructive feedback from others. Heck, after reading the past few pages, if I never saw these buildings in person, I might just be tempted to drive by and check them out!!

alright, then I challenge you to name me a government housing building that is nicely designed as well as offer a comparable range of amenities, convenience of location (close to subway and major arteries through toronto), the future development of the surrounding area (there will be schools and community centre in the area) and of course, area needs to be safe as well.

What does any of this have to do with design?

How do people rate Ikea restaurant food there? I have a feeling a lot of people in this master plan community will be going there for food weekly and affordable. There will be cookie cutter interior furniture as well as a lot of people will likely buy stuff from there because it's convenient and economically priced. I think the distance between the Ikea restaurant window to the condo pool area is too close - lack of privacy.

Some problems I can foresee in this neighbourhood would be congestions, lack of parking space, and a lot of pet poo poo. The Toronto Star had an article published recently that talked about using technology that allows pets DNA filed by the condo and can match it to their poo poo DNA sent to a facility to process. If the owners don't clean up their mess, a bill will be sent to them upon identification and they will be fined.

This is a master plan community, so there will be a lot of people around. I dare say, I hope there will be "good" looking people there to ease the traffic congestions. Just offering a half glass full perspective to a future problem. :) I say that also because it's the people living there that will also define the community.

Last edited:

Back