Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Well now that we know that it is condos instead of rentals their is no reason not to fantasize that a hotel component can still be added to one of these towers.

Uh, where does it say that this will be "condos instead of rentals". As best as I can see, there will be condo townhomes on top of the podium, but that the towers, at least one of them anyway, will contain rentals.

Did I miss something?

Uh, where does it say that this will be "condos instead of rentals". As best as I can see, there will be condo townhomes on top of the podium, but that the towers, at least one of them anyway, will contain rentals.
Did I miss something?

Now you got me confused..i only got the condo thing from the yyzer post.:confused:

Cumberland Terrace Mall Redevelopment Plan Receives Final Approval
View Comments 04 April 2011

Oxford Properties has received final approval from the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) to begin the redevelopment of The Cumberland Terrace Mall at 2 Bloor St.
West.

The original plan was submitted in 2008, when Oxford Properties proposed to redevelop and rezone the aging mall into a new residential condominium. While the City approved the plan in February of 2010, some local business owners where concerned about the impact that the new towers would have on the area.

since this corner is getting a redo it would be nice if something could be done with the other corner... specifically the Hideous Bay Center... That's screaming for a overhaul.

The Hudson Bay Centre kills this corner. It needs to be imploded.

The Hudson Bay Centre kills this corner. It needs to be imploded.

Indeed it does. I'm confident something will be done in the near future to update and make the HBC section friendlier to the street, hopefully it's structurally viable. I've thought about it and have no idea what can be done to improve RBC at the corner which is another problem.

This debate started because the newer rendering looked more squat. Its actually the same rendering except the second rendering is stretched horizontally - even existing buildings have been distorted.

This debate started because the newer rendering looked more squat. Its actually the same rendering except the second rendering is stretched horizontally - even existing buildings have been distorted.

I really hope whomever responded to the new render was kidding, actually I'm sure they were :)

Clearly it's the same ....

From what I understand Oxford is the only developer involved in this project, although the city of Toronto owns up to the first 10 metres of the entire length of the site. So Oxford would technically be responsible for everything, but would have some sort of agreement with the city regarding developing the site - which ultimately means that Oxford owns the air-rights to this property. What that means is the site will most likely be retail at grade, and rental units for the first level above ground; above that the following 4-5 floors would be villa/townhomes which would range in size, but be for sale. There are a lot potential problems to building towers on this site, but these are almost entirely cost issues associated with building on top of the subway tunnel - in other words, this is extremely costly to do and may not be worth the money.

There have been a number of iterations for this project and it seems like each one is getting number crunched to see what brings in the most $$. Like anything I suppose. Given the location, you can imagine that these places will most likely fetch a pretty penny, yet given the location there is not a hell of lot of light for many of the low-rise units.

Just some background information.

p5

So we're talking about 6 towers in this area? 2 * Cumberland Terraces; 2 * Cumberland Garage; 2 * above Holt Renfrew?
Crazie.

Crazy theory, but....

If you read back a couple of pages, there are rumors of Shangri-La developing a second hotel.. and they were associated with Westbank. Then there's the rumor that Oxford is partnering with another developer.

Then, that Bjarke Ingels is developing two buildings in Toronto, one of which we know of at Don Mills, and one of them with Westbank. Back a few pages again, someone suggested that something 'big' is happening to Cumberland Terrace... we can hope!

Back