Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

I do get it. Many seem to be happy that, for example, Casa III had its head lopped off. I just happen to think the fact of it and some people's reaction to it are unfortunate. I think all it would have done is added 5 (I think) more floors of happy people to Charles/Hayden. Not much more to be said, I guess.

This comes off as the usual unwaving support for height without reading the supporting documentation for why the decision came to pass. In Casa 3's case, the approved design ultimately has less square footage but, that is rarely the case so your view of not enough happy people living downtown is unwarranted.

Oxford's Phase One redevelopment plans are now in at the City. Front page story here.

Hmm, the podium doesn't look like an entirely new build per se - are they reusing part of the existing building/basement? The lobby for the tower looks stunning - first use of a glass wall of its type in a residential project?

AoD

Odd, the title of this thread doesn't mention a 54 storey tower - what are the parameters of this project?

The tall towers are no longer being proposed. It now maxes out at 54 storeys with a stump addition to follow some time in the future. I should warn you that if you express any disappointment at this turn of events you will have 10 forumers jump down your throat outraged you would question city council or city bureaucrats. Just praise their wisdom unless you have a lot of spare time to waste defending your views. I don't think they are the majority here, but they want you to submit to their viewpoint and they are nothing if not pertinacious.

The tall towers are no longer being proposed. It now maxes out at 54 storeys with a stump addition to follow some time in the future. I should warn you that if you express any disappointment at this turn of events you will have 10 forumers jump down your throat outraged you would question city council or city bureaucrats. Just praise their wisdom unless you have a lot of spare time to waste defending your views. I don't think they are the majority here, but they want you to submit to their viewpoint and they are nothing if not pertinacious.

Jesus... Break out the tinfoil, we've got a conspiracy on our hands!

For the third time, it was a feasibility study. THEY. WERE. NEVER. PROPOSED.

And people wonder how Rob got elected in this town...

This comes off as the usual unwaving support for height...your view of not enough happy people living downtown is unwarranted.

I apologize for not responding. I didn't mean to be rude. I am sure it is true that many of the numbers we see are not really intended as real proposals and so I accept that not every reduction is due to the city. I guess I was a bit annoyed at learning the city was trying to sculpt the skyline around Y&B. I understand what you and the others were saying but I still hold to the view we should be encouraging as many tall buildings as possible and working out the problems later. Let's not be scared of density and height downtown.

This is not meant to elicit a response but I felt your post was so I have written back.

But it was very clear from earlier posts in the thread this was partly because the city would not even consider the options studied so, yes, you are technically not incorrect when you say they were not formally proposed to the city. It is also clear from posts in this thread that they wanted much more but thought the city would shoot them down. Can you see that just because a project is savaged before it is officially proposed that it doesn't mean that the outcome hasn't been significantly impacted by the city?

Started a snarky riposte to the Ford comment but will refrain.

Last edited:

I think it's understandable that people would be confused given the thread title and database entry.

And Rob Ford got elected because he represents the values of many people in the city, including my own.

In what world is 54 stories afraid of density? Not to be pertinacious [sic], but I suspect it becomes prohibitively expensive if not impossible to build over a certain height when you're literally right on top of a subway tube - there's only so far down one can dig.

Secondly, as I've mentioned before, maintaining the office building, which is "only" 32 stories actually provides additional forms of density on the site.

There will be a significant amount of density here if this gets approved and built. Nothing to be disappointed about.

Back