Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

These renderings remind me of North Streeterville/Gold Coast in Chicago. 1 Bloor E. would be the Hancock building :)

My comments are meant as a compliment. I like Chicago very much.

2937420956_1b28899758_o.jpg

Thanks for this Wylie! The future looks very good.

I just hope they leave the food court alone. It is the only place you can get decent food in Yorkville below 20$! Kidding.

So... the application at the City says rental, but the Globe article and Oxford rep says condo.

it would be a waste to put rentals at this 'A' location ... besides I don't think Oxford is obligated to provide rentals here (since they are not demolishing any rental units hence they wouldn't have to provide rental 'replacements') ... just my thoughts ~

Any news on this?? I just saw the Zoning Amendment Application on the Cumberland side. Is it still a go? I really wish to see the CIBC building reclad.

They are still working on it. Several scenarios being considered including three towers or just one big one!

The sooner Cumberland Terrace gets demolished and rebuilt, the better. Unfortunately I doubt anything will happen now until the economy recovers.

The sooner Cumberland Terrace gets demolished and rebuilt, the better. Unfortunately I doubt anything will happen now until the economy recovers.

The economy isn't stopping any planning from going on. It takes a little over a year for an application to go through the process before being approved. Anything that is being proposed now likely wouldn't move into sales until next year at the earliest. By then, the economy should be rebounding. Construction wouldn't happen for another few months meaning it could be around 2 years before construction can even be considered.

The economy isn't stopping any planning from going on. It takes a little over a year for an application to go through the process before being approved. Anything that is being proposed now likely wouldn't move into sales until next year at the earliest. By then, the economy should be rebounding. Construction wouldn't happen for another few months meaning it could be around 2 years before construction can even be considered.

Doubt it the economy's going to bounce back that quickly, and even if it were to bounce back the real estate market is definitely put down for the next 5-10 years minimum.

The late 80s crash took nearly a decade to correct itself, and today we are in far worse in terms of the global economy.

I agree with Tuscani01. By the time that a project currently being proposed reaches the "shovels in the ground" stage, the economy should be well along in its recovery. It is still possible (in my opinion) that this recession will have little long-term effect, other than delaying those projects that have not yet put shovels into the ground by a year or so. Toronto is one of the few cities in the world that I would say this about. It has been hit far less severely than other cities, due to the strong Canadian banking system, and was sustaining a high level of high-rise construction before the current downturn began. Given the continuing inflow of population into the GTA, I see no reason why the high level of construction should not continue, once credit starts flowing again -- and early indications are that the worldwide banking system has finally started lending again after the latest Obama banking initiative.

BMyers, are all the proposals, whether one, two, or three towers, about the same total area? Because if they are, I definitely want to see the one-tower version! I assume that it would be about the same size (and height?) as 1BE itself.

Bill

Last edited:

Back