Toronto Crosstown Place | 47.55m | 9s | Metrus | Core Architects

Taken today, June 20th, 2023. The 2nd floor glass cladding is almost complete

IMG_8274.jpg

I took this yesterday from what is now my favourite hilltop in the city. You can see this building to the mid-right of the skyline. It's strange to say it's a skyline, but it really is and has been for well...generations. Other than the first floor, this is a great building.
20230801_151612.jpg
20230801_151535.jpg

Just a quick snap while approaching along Eglinton. I will say the glass looks quite striking from afar as it captures the light.

1000011914-01.jpeg

Not quite related to this project but I am worried about the condition of some of those trees in the foreground. It appears something is afflicting their bark and the canopies are thinning/dying off. It'll be a shame if they don't make it since they're already a decent size.

Just a quick snap while approaching along Eglinton. I will say the glass looks quite striking from afar as it captures the light.

View attachment 502271

Not quite related to this project but I am worried about the condition of some of those trees in the foreground. It appears something is afflicting their bark and the canopies are thinning/dying off. It'll be a shame if they don't make it since they're already a decent size.

The trees are probably fine (for now)..........difficult for me to be sure, but they look like American Sycamore to me; which is the native version of London Plane Tree.

They have bark that peels and looks splotchy.

The City seems to be trying them in multiple places as a street tree this year.

They planted some on Wellington beside 'The Well'.

I talked to some people in the forestry industry about it, because I've never seen them used as street trees before.

The reactions I got were generally on the confused/dubious side, with people questioning whether they will do well.

Having looked into it, they are used extensively as a street tree in Washington DC.

I imagine one concern here is that Toronto is the very northern extent of their range.

1692986786380.png

Its also listed as 'sensitive' to salt spray. Which would seem to make it very odd choice for a very wide, and high speed Eglinton.

Last edited:
The trees are probably fine (for now)..........difficult for me to be sure, but they look like American Sycamore to me; which is the native version of London Plane Tree.

They have bark that peels and looks splotchy.

The City seems to be trying them in multiple places as a street tree this year.

They planted some on Wellington beside 'The Well'.

I talk to some people in the forestry industry about it, because I've never seen them used as street trees before.

The reactions I got were generally on the confused/dubious side, with people questioning whether they will do well.

Having looked into it, they are used extensively as a street tree in Washington DC.

I imagine one concern here is that Toronto is the very northern extent of their range.

View attachment 502272

Its also listed as 'sensitive' to salt spray. Which would seem to make it very odd choice for a very wide, and high speed Eglinton.
Interesting choice indeed! Good to know that it's (hopefully) not damaged bark, but indeed the natural appearance. I'm wondering if the sycamore is more resilient in this setting than London plane, as I recall the struggle and subsequent replanting of all those poor trees on Bloor Street.

Last edited:
Interesting choice indeed! That's good to know

Interesting choice indeed! Good to know that it's (hopefully) not damaged bark, but indeed the natural appearance. I'm wondering if the sycamore is more resilient in this setting than London plane, as I recall the struggle and subsequent replanting of all those poor trees on Bloor Street.

I suspect similar issues, but we'll have to see.

American Sycamore is pollution and compaction tolerant, but not salt tolerant.

London Plane is also not salt tolerant.

Both are typically found in more temperate climates.

London Plane is not native to North America at all; but American Sycamore is......and indeed is native to Toronto. However, this is its northern limit.

As such, I imagine they would do better where sheltered from wind; trees are impacted by wind chill too.

To me, they may have some potential beside 'The Well'...... low traffic, low speed traffic, salt spray should be minimal on Wellington, one would hope.

But Don Mills and Eglinton is a tough corner for any vegetation. Salt spray and wind are likely to be high. But I hope they prove me wrong!

Back