News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.3K     9 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's only doubled because the eastern leg of the Danforth line would get cleared out.

and off course in Toronto a succesful line always needs to be over capacity to call it viable...:rolleyes:

Off course in the next 25 years, Danforth Ave and Bloor st will never have an increase in population and density...:rolleyes:

and off course in Toronto a succesful line always needs to be over capacity to call it viable...:rolleyes:

Off course in the next 25 years, Danforth Ave and Bloor st will never have an increase in population and density...:rolleyes:

The eastern end of the Danforth line is boxed in by the lake. It's the same reason why they didn't want to build a Queen line out to the east end.

Also please stop making the mistake of believing that a few small condo buildings at a station brings in anything more than a pittance of trips.

Splitting the SRT and Eglinton lines is a mistake, in my opinion.

It utterly confounds me that the TTC doesn't even look into elevating the non-tunnelled portion of Eglinton

It utterly confounds me that the TTC doesn't even look into elevating the non-tunnelled portion of Eglinton

If the east end of the Danforth line becomes inadequate in 25 years, Eglinton east can be upgraded as a Danforth Relief Line. Seems logical.

OK, you got me. Of the 17 systems I listed (still not all in the world), ONE still keeps a staff member on board to close the doors. (And there are no "signals" as the DLR uses a moving block system.)

What of the rest? Paris? Vancouver? Copenhagen? Are these dangerous or unreliable systems without a staff member on board?

If I'm not mistaken, in addition to London, Montreal is automated and keeps drivers on the trains. Same goes for the automated line in New York City.

Coruscanti Cognoscente said:

I think the reason behind not through running is to keep crowding under control on the Yonge line. If the Eglinton line was connected to the Scarborough line, you would probably get a lot of people who are heading downtown staying on the train to Yonge, creating a scenario where those getting on between Davisville and Rosedale would have no hope in hell of getting into a train.

As I said earlier, this gives people choice. All of the rail lines radiating from Kennedy will have a purpose and go somewhere, unlike now where the SRT is nothing more than an extra transfer between two points. The new Kennedy station with its various transit lines looks far more appealing than what is in store for Don Mills station, which looks to simply repeat the same mistakes found at Kennedy today (the fact that the Sheppard subway will act as a middle man transfer between two points, not the complexity of the transfer).

I will agree that elevating the east end of Eglinton would have been a great way to bring grade separated transit to Scarborough at a reduced cost. At the very least, they should have kept the stop spacing the same as in the MOU (800m vs 400m) regardless of what grade it operates on.

The eastern end of the Danforth line is boxed in by the lake. It's the same reason why they didn't want to build a Queen line out to the east end.

B-D could easily be extended towards Kingston Road - not sure its warranted at this time though.

I think the reason behind not through running is to keep crowding under control on the Yonge line. If the Eglinton line was connected to the Scarborough line, you would probably get a lot of people who are heading downtown staying on the train to Yonge, creating a scenario where those getting on between Davisville and Rosedale would have no hope in hell of getting into a train.

As I said earlier, this gives people choice. All of the rail lines radiating from Kennedy will have a purpose and go somewhere, unlike now where the SRT is nothing more than an extra transfer between two points. The new Kennedy station with its various transit lines looks far more appealing than what is in store for Don Mills station, which looks to simply repeat the same mistakes found at Kennedy today (the fact that the Sheppard subway will act as a middle man transfer between two points, not the complexity of the transfer).

I will agree that elevating the east end of Eglinton would have been a great way to bring grade separated transit to Scarborough at a reduced cost. At the very least, they should have kept the stop spacing the same as in the MOU (800m vs 400m) regardless of what grade it operates on.

Lets say half the B-D to Yonge transfers decide to stay on Eglinton and go over to Yonge. This effectively reduces the transfers from B-D to Yonge since it is split between 2 stations and not all at one. This means the dwell time at the Yonge-Bloor station would be less and more trains could run on the Yonge line. It may actually help relieve the Yonge line - although I doubt it would help to any degree in reality.

If the DRL were ever built to Eglinton, these riders would transfer onto the DRL - thus relieving the Yonge line of those riders and reducing the dwell time at both Yonge-Bloor and Yonge-Eglinton stations.

Something should run through at Kennedy - either the SRT or the Eglinton-Morningside-Malvern (or whatever its called). I would say it should be the one with the higher ridership.

If you say that the transfer is warrented because an SRT rider can get off and transfer to Eglinton LRT, GO, or B-D, then a similar thing should be done with GO. have GO stop at a Kennedy north platform. Riders can either switch to Eglinton LRT or B-D, or have a simple along-platform transfer to the new Kennedy south platform, where they can take the GO into Union. The advantage is that now you can have different headways on Eglinton LRT, Morningside LRT, B-D, GO north (GO train going between Kennedy and Stouffville) and GO south (GO train between Kennedy and Union).;)

Victoria Line, kinda.

The train is self-driving, and has been since the late 60's (London was first for train automation) but they still have an operator sitting in the cab. The operator closes the doors and watches for obstructions on the track.

DLR is driverless (no person in the cab) but they do have a minimum of one staff on the train.
Well then they are not driverless really are they? They way it has been stated here is there is no operator at all. So its basically like a plane where it pretty well flies itself but there are still pilots and co-pilot at the helm on each flight. Plus I do not know why people are fixated on these trains needing to be driverless. Just to eliminate a drivers pay per train. As if that will really bring down the fares

Last edited:
If you say that the transfer is warrented because an SRT rider can get off and transfer to Eglinton LRT, GO, or B-D, then a similar thing should be done with GO. have GO stop at a Kennedy north platform. Riders can either switch to Eglinton LRT or B-D, or have a simple along-platform transfer to the new Kennedy south platform, where they can take the GO into Union. The advantage is that now you can have different headways on Eglinton LRT, Morningside LRT, B-D, GO north (GO train going between Kennedy and Stouffville) and GO south (GO train between Kennedy and Union).;)
Even better, once they grade separate Danforth Ave, they can run GO South fully automated!

A forced transfer for no reason when the two modes of transit are identical is just stupid. I don't know why some of you people are so anti-one-seat-ride. Transit riders don't care about TTC operational issues with headways. If the TTC were a competent organization and designed the Eglinton East LRT competently then the headways wouldn't be the problem they could be with how they're building it now.

The design of Eglinton is being designed the same way the Sheppard East LRT is, which really has no rhyme or reason but goes out of its way to reduce ridership.

Tell me, what kind of transit organization builds something to minimize ridership?

The TTC is so goddamn cheap it drives me bananas. I guess it's a good thing I live in Mississauga and drive.

TTC endoses timeline for eglinton

The staff was against this.

Not strictly true.

TTC staff seem to have a problem with being asked to be the public face of the project and to be community liason (take all the heat) for a timeline they know will make a very large number of people unhappy.

You can see this as their solution is to close their public facing components (move staff elsewhere).

From a public relations perspective, partially or fully closing 15 North/South streets simultaneously is going to be crazy. You can see the impact of a single station at Keele and Finch. Now imagine this is done to every street between Jane and Don Mills simultaneously.

Back