News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This topic started as someone making a reference to someone on Reddit who claims to be training as an operator....
And herein lies the problem.

No operators are being trained yet. They haven't even started to schedule those classes.

So in other words, it's some rando on the internet who thinks they know something, but is making shit up as they go along.

Dan

No operators are being trained yet. They haven't even started to schedule those classes.

So in other words, it's some rando on the internet who thinks they know something, but is making shit up as they go along.

Dan
Im really wondering why they cant do concurrent activity and train the first batch of ttc operators with the trainers. they all will learn how to drive the trains and the only major difference is that the trainers will take additional training to teach.
they just missed a big opportunity to save months.

Dan
What this guys exact qualifications I'm not 100% sure, but regardless as I've said before, his words line up with what I've heard from other trustworthy sources.

Im really wondering why they cant do concurrent activity and train the first batch of ttc operators with the trainers.
I'd think that they'd simply do it the way they are doing it, and schedule it so that it works for the earliest possible opening date.

Which presumably is still some time away. 2025? 2026?

Im really wondering why they cant do concurrent activity and train the first batch of ttc operators with the trainers. they all will learn how to drive the trains and the only major difference is that the trainers will take additional training to teach.
After 4 years of delays do you really think they care about saving time?

It does seem like they've ramped up testing though, over the past few days i've seen trains almost every single time I've been near Eglinton (which is avg twice a day). And they seem to be replicating service levels and speeds to what it is supposed to be..... from what I can see.
Earlier this year, there seemed to always be a car when I crossed Eglinton, during the morning, but not in the evenings (around 6 pm). But that had stopped more recently.

Are they running in the evenings now, or just earlier?

Earlier this year, there seemed to always be a car when I crossed Eglinton, during the morning, but not in the evenings (around 6 pm). But that had stopped more recently.

Are they running in the evenings now, or just earlier?
It has mostly been in the morning, but I have seen them as late as 7pm and as early as 7am. Definitely more morning heavy though.

Because the TTC's own trainers need to have way more knowledge as they will be expected to be able to train more than just the operators. Their training is more intense, and some of it may not be applicable to what the operators need. They will be, quite literally, writing the book.

What this guys exact qualifications I'm not 100% sure, but regardless as I've said before, his words line up with what I've heard from other trustworthy sources.
Let's put it this way - one of my friends is high enough on the seniority table that he will be in the first or second class of operators to be trained when the time comes. And he has not been given a date that he can expect to be moved over to Subway Ops in order to begin his training, although he had been given two earlier dates that were later cancelled.

So yeah, I'll stand by my original conclusion about your source.

Dan

Because the TTC's own trainers need to have way more knowledge as they will be expected to be able to train more than just the operators. Their training is more intense, and some of it may not be applicable to what the operators need. They will be, quite literally, writing the book.

Dan
I take it that the courses are conducted in modules and there is a separate module for the operation of the vehicle. why cant they all take that module together and the trainers then stay for their additional training to be instructors? this first batch or operators/trainers will all be coming with zero knowledge of how to drive these lrvs anyways so a combined group could theoretically work for the initial group.

Let's put it this way - one of my friends is high enough on the seniority table that he will be in the first or second class of operators to be trained when the time comes. And he has not been given a date that he can expect to be moved over to Subway Ops in order to begin his training, although he had been given two earlier dates that were later cancelled.

So yeah, I'll stand by my original conclusion about your source.

Dan
I think you and ARG are both missing the point here. The original mystery Reddit poster claimed to be a "testing operator". As LRVs are active on in the line in testing today, we clearly know that someone is in the cab operating the vehicle. The poster is likely one of those people on the consortium side, not a TTC operator.

Frankly, the rest of their post seemed contained enough accurate details to seem credible to me.

Back